User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keithwjones
(committed) Sun 04-May-14 23:29:04
Print Post

Re: Another Router To Use?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

James

Thanks for input. What benefits would I see with this router?

When first installed I had speeds of 52 and 9.5. Now 42 and 9.5. Any chance the speeds would increase?

To be fair to BT, the connection is solid and wireless fairly good.

Keith
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 05-May-14 04:13:23
Print Post

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

AC routers not only give you 802.11ac speeds (obviously) but also give you improved throughput on older a/b/g/n clients as well since they use the latest chipsets. At the moment the creme de la creme of AC routers are the Asus AC68U , Netgear R7000, linksys EA6900 and Linksys WRT1900AC. I just bought the WRT1900 (so that I can use openwrt in future) so my old rock solid EA6900 is sat collecting dust. I'd be happy to sell the ea6900 to you, it cost me £150 and I'd looking to get at least half the cost back. PM me if you're interested smile

--------------------------------
TalkTalkBusiness LLU 17 meg
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Mon 05-May-14 08:40:10
Print Post

I purchased the new Linksys WRT9100AC router, very fast and is providing great coverage in a three story house.

It doesn't come cheap at £249 from Amazon. Its connected to the Openreach hub and as been very stable and connected without any issues.

It is a wireless router only.

Lee

Edited by Leenig (Mon 05-May-14 08:41:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-May-14 09:41:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by keithwjones:
Thanks for input. What benefits would I see with this router?

It depends where the slowdown is. If its on the outside of your property, then no difference. However if you are getting slowdown due to lots of neighbours using all the WiFi channels available at 2.4GHz, then a dual band router is worthwhile (if your kit can make use of 5GHz - older stuff can't, e.g. iPhone 4/4S and older laptops).

The HomeHub 3 is very competent but only 2.4GHz.

Best way to test is a wired connection to the hub and run a speed test, that is the max you can possibly get.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Mon 05-May-14 13:05:43
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I'm assuming you can just try the HH5 and if it don't work out then you could buy a HG612 modem and replace the the HH with that.

Can that be done?

MLM
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 14:06:17
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I think It won't actually matter. The walls are so thick the neighbours wifi signal is struggling to get through. I am probably best off sticking to Ethernet and only use the wifi for my Ipad.

I only need to cover this room after all.

In regards to the FON stuff based on what I saw yesterday and earlier today when I went to town briefly It's not a big deal. As I said got 0.5mbps and as all FON users are linked to their accounts it makes it less of a problem in my mind having mulled it over.

Also with the walls as thick as they are if the signal makes it out to the street I will be surprised. No one in this house has BT anyway apart from me so no one will be logging in.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 05-May-14 14:07:00)

(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 20:00:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry I am not sure if I asked this or not..

Can I have a HG612 installed from BT and use this (which I used for cable?)

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2...

The HH5 storys are making me wish so.. Also shoudl I ring BT and ask for this or can the engineer just get one from his van on the day?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-May-14 20:06:14
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Infinity 2 is currently engineer install with an Openreach modem. That could change.

Infinity 1 is self-install without the modem. You use the one built into the HH5.
It seems neither option now gets the separate modem frown.

Your TP-Link router will work with either of the two Openreach modems. Edit - If you can get one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-May-14 20:37:33)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-May-14 20:13:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I haven't heard of anyone getting an OR modem with Infinity 2 for ages. They usually get a HH5. Occasionally the installer may provide an OR modem if asked.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 20:23:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I haven't heard of anyone getting an OR modem with Infinity 2 for ages. They usually get a HH5. Occasionally the installer may provide an OR modem if asked.

Thank you both. This is what I am getting. I'm getting a HH5 in the post on the 15th May. I will ask the engineer if he can install the HG612 instead but if it's a contractor I might have problems and will have to just go with it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to