User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User manzo
(learned) Tue 09-Dec-14 09:15:05
Print Post

Re: Another Router To Use?

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So I'm meant to connect the router to the modem using LAN ports on both then? I have been using the WAN port on the Asus to connect to the LAN port on the HH5.

Is there a sensible guide anywhere? I've searched a lot and found nothing so far.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 13:51:16
Print Post

[re: manzo] [link to this post]

Normally, the WAN port of a router should connect to a modem, or a modem/router in full bridge, in order to obtain a WAN IP address. AFAIK the HH5 has no full bridge mode (would be nice if it did, does anyone know?).

The WAN port may do what you require, but it's not really what the port is intended for.

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 09-Dec-14 14:00:07
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I don't think it does. You could configure the HH5 to give the same dynamic IP address to the ASUS and then set the ASUS up as connecting to a static IP address on the WAN, and on the HH5 put the ASUS into it's DMZ and even turn off the HH5 firewall - that's about as close as I got.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 14:34:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah, it's a shame ISPs aren't including proper bridge mode on their all-in-one VDSL modem/router offerings. At least there are some more reasonably-priced third party options now, like the Billion 8800NL and the TP-Link TD-W9980, for those not happy with the ISP-supplied kit.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to