User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keithwjones
(committed) Sat 03-May-14 09:58:10
Print Post

Another Router To Use?

[link to this post]

I have Infinity 2 with ECI modem and HH3.

Has anyone got any recommendations for another router?

Keith
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 10:47:42
Print Post

Re: Another Router To Use?

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

Using a Asus RT-N66U on another provider and plenty of people around here are happy with this. Though its not a cheap choice at £109 but does have option of alternative firmware versions with the Merlin version being popular

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-May-14 11:03:44
Print Post

I use what is, by now, a fairly old Netgear WNDR 3700 but it has 4 GB ports (the main reason I use it), dual channel WiFi covering A, B, C and N which works pretty well around my block though I use wired for everything but my tablet. But any comparably specified newer router, perhaps one of the newer equivalent Netgears, would work fine. I know a few fiends using the newer WNDR 4300 N750 and N900, much like my older model but faster WiFI, and a few extra features. I like Netgear kit and if replacing my 3700 would probably go for the N900, or the N750 if cash was a bit tight. But any similarly priced and specced kit from the other big names should do just as well. It all depends on what extras you want and how much you want to pay.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 11:54:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Would you recommend using that even with the HH5?

I have a tp-link WR1043ND ( I think) which was used with cable - would that work also?

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 03-May-14 11:55:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 12:45:41
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

The HH5 has no modem only mode, so if looking to improve wireless I would recommend a wireless access point rather than a full router

i.e. two NAT routers can cause issues for some UPnP services

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 03-May-14 12:50:02
Print Post

Thanks for input. Asus appears popular.

Another one cheaper at around £42 is WD My Net N750 HD Dual Band Router, which is a cable router. It was not obvious before I read up on it that the replacement is a cable type router.

I'll do some more research.

The other question, I share my connection with BTFON etc, will this be a problem with another router?

Keith
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 13:45:43
Print Post

I would be using Ethernet to be honest only a small flat here. But I was wondering if using something like the TP link would work as I used al ot of the features such as VPN and DNS etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:30:15
Print Post

You won't appear as a FON to others - as to whether BT will stop your access to other FON's when out and about I don't know.

As a BT Retail customer you would still retain your BT OpenZone WiFi access no matter what router you use

(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 14:36:14
Print Post

If the HH5 does a fon hotspot then I am definitely not using it. If I wanted t share a connection I could use the community one we have here.

Edit:: Post 15 of this thread states something interesting.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/...

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 03-May-14 14:38:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:37:53
Print Post

If using the HH5 as the first modem (and also router) then the features like VPN I would not guarantee on a second NAT router.

(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 14:40:57
Print Post

i see, Thanks for the info. I guess I will just stick to the software version.

I'm going to turn wifi off on the HH5 and then use my ipad on the FON point. If that' even possible until it;'s turned off which I believe can take up to a month.

Also the ramifications of someone using the FON access for something illegal I've asked about also

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 03-May-14 14:45:34)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:59:04
Print Post

FON access is not over your public IP, but one specifically used for FON and as devices have to be registered FON can track and satisfy the requirements to satisfy court requests.

(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 15:10:39
Print Post

I see, that's put my mind at rest thank you.

I am still in 2 minds as to whether I should just ask for the HG612 and buy an Asus (or use my TP-Link). I don't care much for BT hotspots i've never used one before and probably never will.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 16:57:34
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jcym:
I know a few fiends ....
Can be dangerous.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-May-14 18:25:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

LOL, but in retrospect perhaps a Freudian slip as it sums up some of my friends quite accurately so I shall leave it as is smile.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 22:48:55
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-May-14 17:59:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by keithwjones:
Has anyone got any recommendations for another router?

I was supplied with a HH3 and moved to an Asus RT-N66U and its like another world. Last week I upgraded from the N66U to the new AC68U as I have some AC kit to test, and I've sold my N66U to my parents smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-May-14 18:00:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The HH5 has no modem only mode, so if looking to improve wireless I would recommend a wireless access point rather than a full router

If you need three stream dual band WiFi the Asus RT-N66U has an Access Point mode which works very well. There are very few Access Point only devices that are three stream dual band. There are some Dual Band two stream ones.

(It depends on the devices you're connecting).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-May-14 19:54:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

True, but not a cheap wireless access point, but then if you want the speed that is the price that has to be paid

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-May-14 22:50:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
True, but not a cheap wireless access point, but then if you want the speed that is the price that has to be paid

The only real cheap one I've found is this one:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

or maybe this:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?...

Everything else starts at £75 and consists of a full router set to AP mode, or where you have a router and turn off its DHCP and ignore the WAN ports. The price is then closer to £100. Thus making the Asus RT-N66U not a silly suggestion if you want 3 stream dual band (marketed as N900) with GigE ports.

(committed) Sun 04-May-14 23:29:04
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

James

Thanks for input. What benefits would I see with this router?

When first installed I had speeds of 52 and 9.5. Now 42 and 9.5. Any chance the speeds would increase?

To be fair to BT, the connection is solid and wireless fairly good.

Keith
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 05-May-14 04:13:23
Print Post

AC routers not only give you 802.11ac speeds (obviously) but also give you improved throughput on older a/b/g/n clients as well since they use the latest chipsets. At the moment the creme de la creme of AC routers are the Asus AC68U , Netgear R7000, linksys EA6900 and Linksys WRT1900AC. I just bought the WRT1900 (so that I can use openwrt in future) so my old rock solid EA6900 is sat collecting dust. I'd be happy to sell the ea6900 to you, it cost me £150 and I'd looking to get at least half the cost back. PM me if you're interested smile

--------------------------------
TalkTalkBusiness LLU 17 meg
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Mon 05-May-14 08:40:10
Print Post

I purchased the new Linksys WRT9100AC router, very fast and is providing great coverage in a three story house.

It doesn't come cheap at £249 from Amazon. Its connected to the Openreach hub and as been very stable and connected without any issues.

It is a wireless router only.

Lee

Edited by Leenig (Mon 05-May-14 08:41:52)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-May-14 09:41:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by keithwjones:
Thanks for input. What benefits would I see with this router?

It depends where the slowdown is. If its on the outside of your property, then no difference. However if you are getting slowdown due to lots of neighbours using all the WiFi channels available at 2.4GHz, then a dual band router is worthwhile (if your kit can make use of 5GHz - older stuff can't, e.g. iPhone 4/4S and older laptops).

The HomeHub 3 is very competent but only 2.4GHz.

Best way to test is a wired connection to the hub and run a speed test, that is the max you can possibly get.

Standard User mlmclaren
(regular) Mon 05-May-14 13:05:43
Print Post

I'm assuming you can just try the HH5 and if it don't work out then you could buy a HG612 modem and replace the the HH with that.

Can that be done?

MLM
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 14:06:17
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

I think It won't actually matter. The walls are so thick the neighbours wifi signal is struggling to get through. I am probably best off sticking to Ethernet and only use the wifi for my Ipad.

I only need to cover this room after all.

In regards to the FON stuff based on what I saw yesterday and earlier today when I went to town briefly It's not a big deal. As I said got 0.5mbps and as all FON users are linked to their accounts it makes it less of a problem in my mind having mulled it over.

Also with the walls as thick as they are if the signal makes it out to the street I will be surprised. No one in this house has BT anyway apart from me so no one will be logging in.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 05-May-14 14:07:00)

(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 20:00:13
Print Post

Sorry I am not sure if I asked this or not..

Can I have a HG612 installed from BT and use this (which I used for cable?)

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2...

The HH5 storys are making me wish so.. Also shoudl I ring BT and ask for this or can the engineer just get one from his van on the day?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-May-14 20:06:14
Print Post

Infinity 2 is currently engineer install with an Openreach modem. That could change.

Infinity 1 is self-install without the modem. You use the one built into the HH5.
It seems neither option now gets the separate modem frown.

Your TP-Link router will work with either of the two Openreach modems. Edit - If you can get one.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-May-14 20:37:33)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-May-14 20:13:14
Print Post

I haven't heard of anyone getting an OR modem with Infinity 2 for ages. They usually get a HH5. Occasionally the installer may provide an OR modem if asked.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 20:23:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I haven't heard of anyone getting an OR modem with Infinity 2 for ages. They usually get a HH5. Occasionally the installer may provide an OR modem if asked.

Thank you both. This is what I am getting. I'm getting a HH5 in the post on the 15th May. I will ask the engineer if he can install the HG612 instead but if it's a contractor I might have problems and will have to just go with it
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 20:24:02
Print Post

Thank you
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-May-14 20:35:48
Print Post

I thought it was just Infinity 1 that was no modem? Is Infinity 2 still engineer install though - i.e. with the interstitial filter?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-May-14 20:38:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Thank you
Except I was wrong about what you get.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-May-14 21:10:28
Print Post

All will depend in what type of instsll BT Retail ordered.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-May-14 21:15:16
Print Post

Infinity 1 is self-install so no new SSFP just a HH5 with dangly filters.
Infinity 2 is engineer-install with SSFP and HH5.
iirc wink

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 22:00:10
Print Post

I guess I can get one off Ebay. £60 is a lot though.

I am having a new line so I am hoping at the very least it will be a line with a new faceplate and then whatever else I need.
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-May-14 22:35:50
Print Post

At the time you wrote it you believed it to be correct so thank you still applies smile
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-May-14 23:17:36
Print Post

In my experience, if it is a contractor install they try to get away with the least possible effort and they are pretty pants. As it happened, I already had a decent X1E faceplate which I hadn't noticed he had left in place as I wanted to give it to a friend and, according to the engineer I had recently, the installer should have at least offered me the new faceplate but he was just interested in getting out of there ASAP.

Edited by jcym (Mon 05-May-14 23:19:14)

Standard User manzo
(learned) Tue 09-Dec-14 00:11:30
Print Post

Excuse the daft question, but are you saying that having another router hooked up to the HH5 is something that you wouldn't expect to work? Only asking as I've hooked an Asus AC68U up to my HH5, and I can't see the internet from the Asus, and I'm attempting to see if it's anything other than my own inability to set the network up or not!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 09-Dec-14 08:27:51
Print Post

[re: manzo] [link to this post]

You should not be using the WAN port on the ASUS, just the LAN ports.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User manzo
(learned) Tue 09-Dec-14 09:15:05
Print Post

So I'm meant to connect the router to the modem using LAN ports on both then? I have been using the WAN port on the Asus to connect to the LAN port on the HH5.

Is there a sensible guide anywhere? I've searched a lot and found nothing so far.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 13:51:16
Print Post

[re: manzo] [link to this post]

Normally, the WAN port of a router should connect to a modem, or a modem/router in full bridge, in order to obtain a WAN IP address. AFAIK the HH5 has no full bridge mode (would be nice if it did, does anyone know?).

The WAN port may do what you require, but it's not really what the port is intended for.

Oliver.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 09-Dec-14 14:00:07
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I don't think it does. You could configure the HH5 to give the same dynamic IP address to the ASUS and then set the ASUS up as connecting to a static IP address on the WAN, and on the HH5 put the ASUS into it's DMZ and even turn off the HH5 firewall - that's about as close as I got.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Dec-14 14:34:39
Print Post

Yeah, it's a shame ISPs aren't including proper bridge mode on their all-in-one VDSL modem/router offerings. At least there are some more reasonably-priced third party options now, like the Billion 8800NL and the TP-Link TD-W9980, for those not happy with the ISP-supplied kit.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to