User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 08-May-14 17:45:52
Print Post

Re: BT infinity 2 Install Problem

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sfo32:
I don't understand why you expected a new master socket. Is it that the current socket is really old, non-NTE5?

Anyway, the way ADT alarms are installed is basically to hardware to the incoming cables, i.e. NOT to the extension prongs of the master socket if it has such an arrangement. I was once told this was to prevent an intruder from being able to disable the connection too easily, and to prevent the owner from accidentally disabling the alarm connection. I don't know if this is 100% accurate or not.

I think I can also see why the installation engineer would not want to touch it, as it would cause the alarm to be disconnected/disabled and he would not be able to know if it was correctly re-connected once he had finished his part.

As to the speed issues - as things stand, the alarm modem (or digi/dialier as they sometimes call them) is unfiltered, and since it calls home every time you arm/disarm there are going to be problems from that.

Once the ADT engineer has visited and filtered it then it should be fine and your speeds may improve.

I seem to remember being quoted £60 or more to have an alarm filtered at one point in the past, so be prepared for a bill (depending on your ADT contract type).

It's just connected like that so the enduser does not disconnect it by mistake. Most modern alarm panels will default to mobile phone network if the line is interrupted.
If this were my line I would disconnect the panel from the A and B connections on the master socket (it's connected there along with the incoming line) and connect it to the filterd output of the VSDL plate Job done.

Edited by systemx (Thu 08-May-14 18:04:38)

Standard User ramdrive
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 20:12:37
Print Post

Re: BT infinity 2 Install Problem

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

You are correct it is a non-NTE5 socket. I asked if a new socket would be fitted pre sale and was told it would.

Maybe I was just expecting more from the install...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-May-14 21:00:18
Print Post

Re: BTU infinity 2 Install Problem

[re: sfo32] [link to this post]

The BTU OR engineer could have also fitted an in-line filter on the alarms circuit, And from the sounds of it he didn't fit a filtered faceplate and then check the connection at all,If the fitting of a filtered faceplate wasn't possible due to there being no removable lower section, then yes he should have replaced the master socket ,to enable this to be done, and could of connected /filtered the alarm that way ,as suggested already
If what has been done so far is classed as an engineer install , they may as well cease to bother, and just let everyone DIY it,

If it where me, i would be complaining to someone high up in BT about this, Was it a real BTOpenreach engineer or one of those Pretend ones in fancy dress (Sub contractors) from MJ Quinn or Kelly coms?

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 08-May-14 21:14:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ramdrive
(newbie) Fri 09-May-14 00:53:29
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
The BTU OR engineer could have also fitted an in-line filter on the alarms circuit, And from the sounds of it he didn't fit a filtered faceplate and then check the connection at all,If the fitting of a filtered faceplate wasn't possible due to there being no removable lower section, then yes he should have replaced the master socket ,to enable this to be done, and could of connected /filtered the alarm that way ,as suggested already
If what has been done so far is classed as an engineer install , they may as well cease to bother, and just let everyone DIY it,

If it where me, i would be complaining to someone high up in BT about this, Was it a real BTOpenreach engineer or one of those Pretend ones in fancy dress (Sub contractors) from MJ Quinn or Kelly coms?

Quinn...

Your thinking is my thinking in this matter, thanks!

I will give BT the chance via CEO email to sort the problem, if that fails I will go legal.

Working in the petroleum sector is a god send in these situations!
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 09-May-14 07:12:06
Print Post

[re: ramdrive] [link to this post]

This might be useful, especially last page...
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/equiva...

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps