User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Mon 19-May-14 11:20:48
Print Post

BT in trouble, hiring more staff

[link to this post]

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/19/bt-h...
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-May-14 12:52:41
Print Post

Re: BT in trouble, hiring more staff

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Well 2-3 weeks isnt really fair to install FTTC. My install would have been today and I ordered on the 1st so that was 12 working days. They don't even put the phone line on early to allow people to if needs be use dialup.

I'd rather it was 1600 UK based agents though. But there you go. it's where they lose to other ISP's

Edit:: I'm now waiting 14 working days from the 8th until the 28th of May for Plusnet. My own fault so I don't count that but wait times are still too far. If you do a fake order on BT and check the install diary it's already on the 2nd week of June.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 19-May-14 12:55:46)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-May-14 14:44:36
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I would rather wait 2 or 3 weeks for a fully qualified and experienced OR engineer than have some new recruit or contractor mess with my line. Unfortunately one doesn’t really have a choice but certainly I would opt for a self install vdsl filtered faceplate and modem setup and just hope that the deployed engineer is doing a good job at the cabinets.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Mon 19-May-14 15:13:44
Print Post

6 weeks I've had to wait for my standard ADSL install.

Edited by brandscill (Mon 19-May-14 15:17:32)

Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Mon 19-May-14 18:21:56
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Gotta wait 3 years before I can even order FTTC

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Now -> Be *
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-May-14 21:32:42
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Wonder how much lower the maintenance workload would be if they made a serious attempt to migrate people to FTTP, or at very least offered a viable data-only FTTC product rather than forcing people who don't actually want a POTS line back to the exchange to have one.

Good to see the extra jobs, silly that they are needed because Openreach continue to rinse long copper loops for all they're worth.
Standard User somerset
(committed) Mon 19-May-14 22:12:49
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

What would TalkTalk, Sky etc. do with all their LLU kit?
Standard User somerset
(committed) Mon 19-May-14 22:19:58
Print Post

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

How do you know it's 3 years?
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Mon 19-May-14 22:23:48
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by somerset:
What would TalkTalk, Sky etc. do with all their LLU kit?

Most of it would still be used - FTTC is no different to FTTP in an exchange.
Standard User somerset
(committed) Mon 19-May-14 22:28:50
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Please explain. They have DSLAMs in many exchanges, yes, all these would be redundant with FTTC or FTTP. But if they were forced to go FTTx they would not be used straight away.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-May-14 22:32:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by somerset:
Please explain. They have DSLAMs in many exchanges, yes, all these would be redundant with FTTC or FTTP. But if they were forced to go FTTx they would not be used straight away.

Most operators with multiple DSLAMs will have multiple gigE switches or 10gigE behind the DSLAMs, so relatively easy to connect to a GEA cablelink from openreach feeding FTTP/FTTC users.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Mon 19-May-14 22:55:18
Print Post

Latest consultation documents between the local parish council and BT. The document lists the cabs that are in scope and the cabs that aren't, mine isn't in scope for this round, so proposed date is 2017 - assuming there's funding in 2017 smile

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Now -> Be *

Edited by fredfox (Mon 19-May-14 22:56:59)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 11:45:25
Print Post

Agreed.

I still can;'t find anyone who wants to sell me a FTTP line. The cost would be covered by business anyway but still no one wants the business it seems. My connection voucher has a 12 month validity.

It's very very odd but my hope is that in the future this will change and I can get one put in.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 11:47:26
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Which is totally crazy!
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 11:48:27
Print Post

My old cab was on the " not a chance" list. I even had the BT head of the rollout tell me it's not going to happen

So I moved and can get FTTC. I now find out that my old cab is going to be enabled in August haha

Never mind.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 11:50:17
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Someone said to me once if you get AM slot you will get OR and PM slot will be Kelly/Quinn.

I couldn't get a AM slot with BT they went while I was ordering. I have an AM with PN I think - in either case recent reports are that both do a good job.

I would have had it by now but I cancelled BT in favour of Plusnet.. I just hope the guy turns up in the meantime.

I also wish that they could connect the line ASAP if one is here I know I paid £49 to have the line connected and I could use a dialup or something else if I had one. Mobile BB is here though luckily
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 12:26:58
Print Post

Best of luck with the AM slot - will you be needing a CAT5 extension for the modem also?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 12:33:05
Print Post

Urm how have you got a connection voucher but no one willing to sell it to you?

To get the superconnected city vouchers you have to present a quote from a firm to supply a connection?

Or is this some other voucher scheme.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 12:34:46
Print Post

Could always pay for an expedited install if the strain of waiting is too much. Alas you have to order that up front, and cannot retrospectively add it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 20-May-14 12:36:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I still can;'t find anyone who wants to sell me a FTTP line. ...

Probably because you're not in a FTTP area. Remember this thread which you started which explained the difference to you between native FTTP and FTTPoD which is what you have available to you as you are in a FTTC area.

I can't see why BT won't sell you FTTPoD if your pockets are deep enough as you appear to claim.

Edited by Rastus (Tue 20-May-14 12:37:30)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:23:47
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I don't have deep pockets at all. I do however have a connected cities voucher worth up to £5000 for any install and I im happy to spend the £200 or whatever a month. This would help my tax purpose a great deal if I can get it.

The links on the CC website give the names of companys like virgin and BT but that's all for leased lines. All I want is 330/30 which although my exchange says is available I can't get you say

So that's fair enough, I'll stick with FTTC. Maybe a few line bonded to get that speed.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:26:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm in an eligible area

I put in 2 quotes to Virgin and also to Zen but these were all for leased lines which I don't want.

No this is the same one.

All I wanted was the 330/30 but it seems I can't have it so as I said above maybe bonding some FTTC lines or something. (but this won't be covered by the voucher I don't think)

I am hoping when I get FTTC I will be able to upload about 700MB or videos per day onto the company site. But if I need more maybe I can get another line in or something.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:27:30
Print Post

I don't think so. I did choose the extension kit just incase but my phone line is around a foot from my PC and I have a table ready for the phone and modem to go on. Which will be right next to the HG612 or whatever it is.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:28:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Could always pay for an expedited install if the strain of waiting is too much. Alas you have to order that up front, and cannot retrospectively add it.

Which would have been awesome had anyone offered it. I never knew that was an option I would have happily took it.

Maybe it should be an option on a website when you order.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 13:28:54
Print Post

The website says
All you have to do is send us one quote from a registered supplier and complete a simple application form.
So you should have got a quote for FTTPoD before being granted a voucher.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:33:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

But FTTPoD is still only available at a limited number of exchange and I don't know if pcoventry's is one of those. I know it is not available on my exchange yet.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 13:34:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It is

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:39:31
Print Post

So as you say at least BT retail/business ought to be able to quote for FTTPoD at the very least.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:53:12
Print Post

I don't think so. I did choose the extension kit just incase but my phone line is around a foot from my PC and I have a table ready for the phone and modem to go on. Which will be right next to the HG612 or whatever it is.

That's good so if you do happen to get a contractor they wont be messing with your internal wiring. If they do fit an interstitial plate and NTE5 faceplate be sure to keep the old filtered faceplate if you had one...or keep the interstitial plate if they use an existing filtered faceplate plus the extension kit since it was part of your order.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:54:46
Print Post

You would have to find someone who wanted to provide you the service and had quoted you on it, having done the necessary checks on install charges. Receiving a quote from a supplier, of which there are many serving Newport, is a prerequisite.

Obviously these guys would have their own standards also, it costs them money to quote and credit checks, etc, would be required for a long contract as I'm sure you could imagine being a businessman.

FYI The limit on the scheme is £3000. Odds of getting 330/30 business grade for £200 a month are slim. At that price bracket it's generally using FTTPoD as a leased-line replacement at 30Mb/s symmetrical or similar. Demonstrating that 330Mb over 80Mb/20Mb is a legitimate business expense problematic too. I have 2 lines here but only one that gets expensed for obvious reasons.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 14:20:12
Print Post

Which city scheme and which exact providers have you contacted?

Virgin Media does not do Fibre on Demand, and one presumes you have confirmed that FoD (Fibre on Demand) is showing as an option for your individual telephone line?

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 14:44:10
Print Post

It was this one..

https://www.connectionvouchers.co.uk

2 quotes from suppliers given to the local council. Both for leased lines (no they don't do FTTPoD) as I said it was VM and Zen who are 2 that they list for my city.

Well, yes, as per the thread that I started that someone else pointed out. It says 330/30 when I put in my address. I can't check my line yet as I don't have one active until the FTTC goes in - even though I have a physical NTE5 here.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 14:44:39)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 14:47:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
You would have to find someone who wanted to provide you the service and had quoted you on it, having done the necessary checks on install charges. Receiving a quote from a supplier, of which there are many serving Newport, is a prerequisite.

Obviously these guys would have their own standards also, it costs them money to quote and credit checks, etc, would be required for a long contract as I'm sure you could imagine being a businessman.

FYI The limit on the scheme is £3000. Odds of getting 330/30 business grade for £200 a month are slim. At that price bracket it's generally using FTTPoD as a leased-line replacement at 30Mb/s symmetrical or similar. Demonstrating that 330Mb over 80Mb/20Mb is a legitimate business expense problematic too. I have 2 lines here but only one that gets expensed for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the usual helpful and interesting information. Yes I am merely going on figures that I have seen bounced around for 330/30. I have no problem with credit checks.My personal credit rating is high but the business I am now running is a family property business. Therefore there is a lot of collateral if needed.

I believe the contracts start around the 36 month mark?

Anyway it's not going to happen so I will have to do what you do - 2 lines and like you said only one can be expensed.I think it would be worth giving the PN business team another call and seeing what they can do for me also.

I can see the need for more bandwidth increasing over the next year or so and whilst people might say "you have deep pockets" I dont but this is business as I am sure you also appreciate, what's a few more hundred quid taken from the tax man? smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 14:52:29)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 14:53:29
Print Post

I only got them for leased lines.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 14:54:13
Print Post

Okay that is the generic site and which city is important as some providers offer different services in different cities,

Zen do not appear to list Fibre on Demand but others do including

http://www.just2connect.com/
http://www.silverlinings.eu/
http://www.unitel.co.uk/
http://www.tptele.com/broadband/connection-vouchers....
http://www.brigantia.com/
http://www.resourcetelecomgroup.com/
http://www.abcnet.co.uk/
http://www.fluidata.co.uk/
http://www.itcs.co.uk/

In fact it crops up over 100 times in the supplier list

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 14:56:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
But FTTPoD is still only available at a limited number of exchange and I don't know if pcoventry's is one of those. I know it is not available on my exchange yet.

Well according to the BT wholesale checker it is.. I am not sure if it actually is or if it just says that as my exchange was one of the recent ones round here to be activated

This is what it says,

http://prntscr.com/3kx4kz

It's the same as I put in the thread Batboy highlighted, But I did a new check today.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 15:00:56)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 14:58:06
Print Post

Then I need to look back into that then. Thanks for pointing that out.

All i got was prices for leased lines over 5-10 year contracts. Which are fine but the the lowest price I got was 13k a year for 100/100 from Virgin
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:00:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
So as you say at least BT retail/business ought to be able to quote for FTTPoD at the very least.

Well when I even try to check for the 160mb product I am not given a result. When I called up I was told 80/20 was the max I could get.

I am tempted to wander to the exchange as it's only what 400 yards from my place. I can literally see it from where I sit on the dual carriageway,.

it's lunacy to think all I want is to get a service and pay for it. It's like pulling teeth somedays.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:04:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by 4M2:

That's good so if you do happen to get a contractor they wont be messing with your internal wiring. If they do fit an interstitial plate and NTE5 faceplate be sure to keep the old filtered faceplate if you had one...or keep the interstitial plate if they use an existing filtered faceplate plus the extension kit since it was part of your order.

Thanks for the advice. I am literally sat with my back to the current socket - which is this.

http://prntscr.com/3kx6wf an NTE5? I have my phone plugged in ready but it's dead at the moment.

I have homeplugs but everything I need is in range of ethernet cables.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 15:07:05
Print Post

For those areas where fibre on demand is the FTTP option, then there is only one speed available 330/30, the other GEA-FTTP speed points are not available.

Are you talking to the business or consumer division in BT?

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:10:13
Print Post

I must have tried the residential option before I ordered the infinity I cancelled.

I will try business they will do it. I don't mind paying whatever costs I just want it so that I can do more for my business website

As I said I don't even get a reply from the website when I choose the 160 option. So how is it that I can get 330/30 but not 160/20 or ewhatever it is?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 15:14:13
Print Post

BECAUSE 160/20 IS NOT AN OPTION UNDER THE FIBRE ON DEMAND PROGRAMME.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:19:05
Print Post

I am literally sat with my back to the current socket - which is this.

http://prntscr.com/3kx6wf an NTE5? I have my phone plugged in ready but it's dead at the moment.

That's fine - they should hopefully just fit an interstitial plate (which goes between the original faceplate and the NTE5 itself) or a filtered faceplate for your FTTC connection smile
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:25:43
Print Post

okay - no need to lose your rag.

It is an option on the BT website and that's what I checked., Chill out.

Not really a good image when you have a fit is it.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:26:17
Print Post

Will they also put the BT modem near this socket? The wall is just right for it so I am hoping so
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 15:34:06
Print Post

Caps was for emphasis as believe it has been explained before that Fibre on Demand behaves differently to native FTTP when browsing around providers websites and will also never be seen on the consumer focused pages due to the 36 month minimum contract term.

Ofcom has a 24 month maximum limit for consumers.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:45:07
Print Post

Will they also put the BT modem near this socket? The wall is just right for it so I am hoping so

Should be OK - guess there are a 3 pin 13 amp sockets nearby?
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:48:35
Print Post

all I know is that when I checked for 80/20 I was also given the option to check for "superfast infinity" and it stated "160mbps" but the checker only came back with 80/20

I'll do it again and screenshot it if needs be. I know what I saw

As for FTTP I know all this - I just want the [censored] thing but it seems impossible to get it

So ill give up - end of discussion

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 15:49:00)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:49:55
Print Post

Yes there are 2 below on the skirting board. I don't use the phone so I only need 2.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-May-14 15:50:18
Print Post

Your situation falls outside the automated systems, you need to phone up and speak to your business manager at BT Business to discuss the provision of Fibre on Demand

Fibre on Demand is not the sort of product you order online since there are lots of questions to be asked and discussed about the actual service you want.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:57:33
Print Post

Yes there are 2 below on the skirting board. I don't use the phone so I only need 2.

Sounds like you are "good to go" for vdsl FTTC smile
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 16:04:42
Print Post

Sure hope so. I am not going to cancel this one I wish I had not cancelled BT or else I'd be on it now but only for the connection. I AM glad I did for the service I would have got which was mediocre at best.

5 working days and counting smile
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 16:05:17
Print Post

Tidy. Cheers I will do that tomorrow.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 16:12:53
Print Post

Sure hope so. I am not going to cancel this one I wish I had not cancelled BT or else I'd be on it now but only for the connection. I AM glad I did for the service I would have got which was mediocre at best.

5 working days and counting smile

Just noticed that BT are doing a self install option, probably not of interest to you since you are probably in the office during the day nor fond of BT?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 16:20:57
Print Post

1600 more staff, the TBB news story made it out to be related to the rollout (tbb shown mercy?), I didnt know about this thread until someone posted in the general broadband section.

I have always said if openreach were to actually fix all faults instead of pretending they dont exist and also do it in a timely manner they would be in trouble, as I imagine their costs would sky rocket, their profits seem to be related to their faults management.

Of course they can still pass of faults as a non fault, but it seems now they been told to stop hanging around on diagnosed faults and hence this recruitment drive, so basically they were undermanned by 1600 engineers and have got away with it for a number of years.

The question is now, where will this cost get passed onto? the shareholders wont eat it, are we to see higher callout fees, higher install charges?

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 20-May-14 16:23:39)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 16:35:42
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Demands on the system are undoubtedly rising: I was just chatting to a Sky TV installer and he was saying that they no longer connect the Sky box to the phone line on most new/upgraded installations but via ethernet to the end user's router (not just those on Sky broadband but to any user's broadband provider.)
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 16:59:15
Print Post

I'm fond of BT's actual service just not the terrible support.

Yes but the FTTC is going into the office. I'd happily give it a go but i'm not going to cancel Plusnet i don't want to wait any more than I already am.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 17:07:14
Print Post

Just a case of plugging the HH5 in isn't it?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 17:20:26
Print Post

Plusnet don't issue HH5.

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 18:16:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Plusnet don't issue HH5.

Good thing we were on about BT then...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 18:18:21
Print Post

I thought you may have forgotten who you've ordered with wink

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 18:36:53
Print Post

Plusnet don't issue HH5.

Think I prefer separate modems and routers - gives one the opportunity to have the modem at the NTE5 and the router linked over ethernet in another location within the property. Probably not relevant to your office setup though smile
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 18:49:18
Print Post

Plusnet don't issue HH5.

Think I prefer separate modems and routers - gives one the opportunity to have the modem at the NTE5 and the router linked over ethernet in another location within the property. Probably not relevant to your office setup though smile

I totally agree. I have a tp-link waiting to be connected.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 18:49:58
Print Post

I thought you may have forgotten who you've ordered with wink

haha - nope. It's definitely Plusnet I'm waiting for smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 18:52:37
Print Post

The TP-Link should be better than Plusnet's Speedtouch effort.

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 18:57:59
Print Post

Yes I hope so - it's a WR-1043ND and in the past it's been rock solid when used with VM. I assume it just attaches onto the HG612 like it did to the SH.,

Edit:: If I remember the HG612 is the super hub I will be ok smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 18:58:21)

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 19:06:11
Print Post

I totally agree. I have a tp-link waiting to be connected.

I've got a TP-Link 5 port gigabit switch and it's pretty good on the LAN - however I'm on ADSL2+ with a 100Mbps router so I only see the benefits when transferring files over the LAN.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 20:11:19
Print Post

Fair enough. Mine will be fine I believe smile
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 20-May-14 21:08:16
Print Post

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me then. Exchange with <800 properties and not in any rollout plans.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-May-14 00:10:58
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The question is now, where will this cost get passed onto? the shareholders wont eat it, are we to see higher callout fees, higher install charges?

Very likely ... people are demanding cheaper and cheaper broadband access and cheaper phone lines. To get that BT has to cut costs, hence off-shoring support services, providing just basic routers, minimising staff numbers so that they are 110% employed. A few years back, BT would give a very rapid turn around for faults and they achieved that because teh technicians were only 85% utilised and could be mobilised rapidly keeping wait times down.

Rapid response costs money - so users will need to pay, whether that is directly to BT or through their ISPs and as OFCOM have demanded te changes, BTs cost base will increase and OFCOM will have to allow the costs t be passed on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 07:41:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

This is why things like Enchanced Care are a good idea.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Wed 21-May-14 08:31:10
Print Post

This is why things like Enchanced Care are a good idea.

Do you have it and if so, who is your telephone provider?
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 10:22:38
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Not right now it's mainly for business lines. I don't have mine in yet. But I used to and it was £8.50 a month with Plusnet

http://prntscr.com/3l66k6

That would cover a line with Plusnet too. Phone lines are different they are classed as critical utilities and BT used to have a financially backed SLA to everyone. Not sure if that's still the case (you could claim after so many days without a phone line for every day after without a phone line.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 21-May-14 10:26:30)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-May-14 15:16:30
Print Post

I have one of the priority care packages on my Infinity service - cannot remember exactly which. Service is delivered across my residential phone line. The advantage is that if my phone line fails, it is likely to affect Infinity so I get "free" coverage of that too.

M H C

Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Wed 21-May-14 15:34:28
Print Post

For FTTC - the DSLAMs or MSANs are the street side cabinets. These are owned, operated and maintained by Openreach.

The fibre from the cabinet (or for FTTP from someone's house) is connected to a OLT (optical line termination) card in the exchange. LLU ISPs then pay Openreach to connect their backhauls to the Openreach NGA networks via a layer 2 switch (in Openreach lingo it's known as the GEA Cablelink). BT Wholesale also pay Openreach to link up their 21CN network to the Openreach NGA at all exchanges via the same GEA Cablelink.

LLU ISPs don't use their DSLAMs for FTTx - they are essentially paying Openreach for access to its network.

For ADSL and unbundled voice, it's a different story.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Wed 21-May-14 17:26:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
I have one of the priority care packages on my Infinity service - cannot remember exactly which. Service is delivered across my residential phone line. The advantage is that if my phone line fails, it is likely to affect Infinity so I get "free" coverage of that too.

I don't think we are singing from the same hymn sheet here. Have a look at
http://business.bt.com/phone-services/bt-totalcare/ where we can see that it relates to voice services only. True if voice services are lost then it might impact on the broadband service but it has been reported many times on TBB that the broadband service has continued even though no voice service was available.

So turning this on its head, let us assume the broadband service has gone down but voice is still available. You may well have Total or Critical Care but as far as I can see this does not give you any kind of priority attention to restore your broadband service; even more so if your voice and broadband service is delivered by two different suppliers.

But sticking with the same supplier with a single line for both voice and broadband, I don't know of any ISP who will give a priority fix service, for an additional fee, if just your broadband service goes down when you still have a voice service. I stand corrected on that though.

So you fall back on your business interruption plan which may mean going to a different geographical location or invoking your business interruption insurance. If you are in the minority that has a duplicate broadband service, with physical different paths back to the exchange, then I suppose you are covered for some eventualities like fire, flood or worse like the area being sealed off due to a suspect package.

You make a risk assessment and have a plan according to your budget.
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 17:40:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
I don't think we are singing from the same hymn sheet here.You may well have Total or Critical Care but as far as I can see this does not give you any kind of priority attention to restore your broadband service;

Yes I think we are - as the products we are discussing so just that. BB usualy fails due to a line problem - or a problem at the exchange/cab these are all covered.

BT has their own service level agreement that [censored] aunt with her £15.90 line rental only can get.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 21-May-14 20:10:24
Print Post

"some" people are demanding lower prices.

its an assumption by marketing everyone wants that.

in regards to what ofcom have to do.

Alternatively BT's shareholders can eat it and there is no problem, they are perhaps a bit greedy?

There is something very wrong within BT in how much much it needs to spend to rollout technology, how much it needs to charge for engineer visits, how much it needs to charge for backhaul, and yet it has had to be fold to get its act together on fault turnaround.

I agree ofcom's obsession with low cost broadband is excessive, but BT arent blameless.

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 21-May-14 20:16:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-May-14 23:35:42
Print Post

MHC has Business Broadband Infinity, which does have priority fixing.

As line faults and broadband problems often go hand in hand, what he is saying is that most line issues will get fixed in the course of fixing the broadband ones.

Your citing of broadband connections working when the phone doesn't is spurious. The broadband in such cases is severely downgraded. The cause of this scenario is one wire of the pair becoming disconnected somewhere. His cover level on the Business Infinity would come into play.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-May-14 01:22:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Correct ...

And when we needed it, BT pulled out all the stops they could and had a team on site at 5:00 AM on a Saturday morning.

M H C

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 22-May-14 09:26:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
MHC has Business Broadband Infinity, which does have priority fixing.

As line faults and broadband problems often go hand in hand, what he is saying is that most line issues will get fixed in the course of fixing the broadband ones.

Your citing of broadband connections working when the phone doesn't is spurious. The broadband in such cases is severely downgraded. The cause of this scenario is one wire of the pair becoming disconnected somewhere. His cover level on the Business Infinity would come into play.

Also noted was MHC reply but it was not stated if the fault was with voice or broadband. Neither was the wait period for action stated but turning up in the early hours of Saturday morning is within BTs Prompt Care scheme promise.

I too have BT Infinity. A check with BT revealed that my cover is Critical Care on the exchange line and Prompt Care on the broadband service. My enquiry brought forward an offer of a 2 year fixed price contract for that telephone line of £14.20 per month. Interesting it was a fixed price contract, usually there are price rises even when in contract. I was reminded that the line rental will go up in August by a £1 [taking it to £19] - is this unwelcomed increase to pay for more engineering staff or for propping up BT Sport?

Line faults can indeed degrade the broadband service, so fixing the former has expectations of returning the broadband service back to its earlier operating status, but it doesn't always happens that way. Lots of moans about that have appeared on TBB. Also ,there have been instances quoted on TBB where the voice service has been lost [cut off?] and yet the broadband service continued to work perfectly for a considerable period of time. I therefore reject RobertoS claim that my observations were "spurious".

That aside, I am not sure that every ISP will offer an enhanced care service for either the exchange line and/or broadband service equivalent to BTs Critical and Prompt care schemes. As PlusNet are bedfellows with BT, they appear to offer some kind of similar cover to BT but exactly what that is I don't know. An enquiry to Zen revealed that only Standard Care was available. As broadband services for business becomes more "mission critical", then discovering that enhanced care of some sort is simply not available means greater care is needed in selecting an ISP.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 22-May-14 12:33:57
Print Post

An enquiry to Zen revealed that only Standard Care was available. As broadband services for business becomes more "mission critical", then discovering that enhanced care of some sort is simply not available means greater care is needed in selecting an ISP.
[cough]
I really do think you are getting very mixed up between Residential and Business services. Zen Enhanced Care.

If you are using Residential broadband for a business that is highly internet dependent, then it's time you upgraded. Possibly also have a standby service.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 22-May-14 14:13:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
An enquiry to Zen revealed that only Standard Care was available. As broadband services for business becomes more "mission critical", then discovering that enhanced care of some sort is simply not available means greater care is needed in selecting an ISP.
[cough]
I really do think you are getting very mixed up between Residential and Business services. Zen Enhanced Care.

If you are using Residential broadband for a business that is highly internet dependent, then it's time you upgraded. Possibly also have a standby service.

Assumptions made in this response. My statements were always relating to business grade services. Because you have found references to Enhanced Care for business users offered by Zen is only indicative of the poor quality response given to me through a phone enquiry on upgrading an existing service with that company some time ago. It could be that this service is now offered, whereas at the time of my enquiry, it wasn't.

A standby service through a second landline service could just be an illusion since it is highly likely that the routing will be the through the same cable[s] providing the primary service. A wireless [4G, if at all possible] or radio connection alternative, would be more advantageous but whatever is used, it can often double your monthly connection costs whereas Critical Care on the primary service would be more cost effective and, IMHO, a better solution.

A business user needs to make a risk assessment of what is most appropriate for them related to what is affordable. For some it could be a lot cheaper to go to an alternative location while the fault persists. And for others, there is merit in using a residential grade service for business purposes and using wireless when ever the broadband service is down. Lots of other permutations to keep the "lights on" exist. Horses for course I would say and certainly one size, or solution, doesn't apply everywhere.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 23-May-14 10:39:14
Print Post

Since I have negatively spoken about Zen and their "Care" programs, I thought it only right to acknowledge their recent new product that has hit the market place:
http://www.zen.co.uk/blog/introducing-new-premium-fi...
Being a long URL, I provide this as an alternative:
http://tiny.cc/zencare

Price wise it appears to be quite a bit more than an equivalent service from BT except that Zen doesn't have a download limit. My comparison is for Line Rental + Broadband Service + Fixed IP + Critical Care + Call Package. The wild card is that Line Rental Saver is available from BT but doesn't seem to be an offering from Zen.

To remove any element of doubt we are talking about business packages. It seems if you want a bullet proof broadband service you need to shell out close on £100 per month. Makes domestic offerings look like an absolute steal.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to