User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Jun-14 13:13:29
Print Post

Re: The Curious Case of BT Infinity Wi-Fi

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stniuk:
Is he running Windows Vista?
We had huge trouble getting Vista to connect to a router once, my iPod touch connected right away.

Vista came with some very old wireless drivers. Often you could update them from the wireless card manufacturer and fix this. (I can't answer your question, as you replied to me, not the original poster).

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User jamie543
(regular) Sun 08-Jun-14 13:49:27
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

This would not explain his phone not connecting and tablet not connnecting first thing to check is has the correct key been used including capital letters as it will be case senstive

Standard User MichaelPerry
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 11:11:39
Print Post

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

One question no one seems to have asked is: Is he trying to connect to the signals from your HH3 and not somebody else's?
With several other sources around, he could be 'seeing' others and attempting to use that and not yours. So when he puts in your key it doesn't connect to other networks as they may well use a different key!
Also, is your SSID being shown? That can help identify which network(s) are around - but there can be security issues apparently.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 11:17:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I don't find the HH3 at all 'strange'. It works well and has done in my home for 2 years. Easy to set up if you RTFM and you can set fixed IP addresses once the equipment is connected to the HH3.
Setting up WPA2 is easy as is setting the 'passphrase', I always set my admin login and WPA2 passphrases different from the 'defaults and different from each other for security.
There are aspects I would have liked to be done differently (after 18 years experience of internet usage) but that's how BT have had it designed.
It works for me!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Jun-14 12:17:25
Print Post

[re: MichaelPerry] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MichaelPerry:
I don't find the HH3 at all 'strange'.
It transmits 2 additional SSID's on the same channel as your wifi
It only has 1 GigE port
Port forwarding is intermittent
It forgets devices
It keeps on slowing down to 2Mbps
It's locked
Strange enough to skip it.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 12:32:37
Print Post

Those 'additional' SSIDs are the BT Fon services available on all Home Hubs! That's what the BT advert is talking about when they mention millions of WiFi hotspots being available.

The fastest Ethernet I know of is 1 Gbps anyway so that cannot be a problem.

I've not experienced that port forwarding problem at all, so you may well have a faulty HH3.

Ditto

Slowing is not due to the HH3 but the exchange equipment responding to problems on your ADSL line, the DSLAM adjusts the profile if there are intermitencies or heavy noise on the line so it slows the connection sync speed and increases the noise margin and hence the throughput speeds get slower. If that is a problem to you, report the fault to BT.

Mine's not locked! Have you tried logging in using the default admin login/password? If that doesn't let you in to the interface, do a full reset (not a restart) according to the User Manual instructions (you have got those, haven't you?)

Don't understand the last statement!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jun-14 12:36:39
Print Post

The problem with GigE is that it only has 1 port. So, if you want to do GigE around your internal network then you have to buy a separate switch. And if you are lucky enough to get Internet about 100Mb then only one of the connected ports could handle it and anything connected to the other ports would be limited to the port speed.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Jun-14 12:40:44
Print Post

The slowing is not due to the DLM profile, it's just the Homehub.
It's locked. Can you change the DNS servers?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Jun-14 13:43:58
Print Post

Mine never slows to 2Mbps.
It does however lock up every so often and need regular reboots. Go figure. Isn't the best piece of technology.
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 13:55:22
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My HH3 has 4 Ethernet ports that all support and provide 100 Mbps Ethernet connections, no difference between any of them!
Nothiong wronmg with adding a Gigabit Ethernet switch in the system, providing your HH supports gigabit.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to