User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:18:11
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband good or bad?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I still think it will be a default account setting, because BT Retail have it down for 8 Aug activation, when that setting will be updated.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:24:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
We are on Ilford Central (LNILC) and it does support ADSL2 +
Yes, it does! And not only that but Zen is not LLU'd there so they were also using BTw connections.

Bang goes that theory frown!

Have you tried changing the router settings to try to force ADSL2+?

Yep, tried everything, even hard set it to ADSL2 + and it just ignores what I set and syncs up as G.DMT
I had my suspicions when I ordered it over the phone where he told me the estimated download speeds of 2.5Mbits to 7Mbits where I told them that's fine we was getting +6Mbits with Zen, only after I got off the phone where I did a check on the speeds that I should get and the 2.5Mbits to 7Mbits showing up for ADSL Max, but where being told by friends that it will be ADSL2 + due to ADSL Max is ADSL1 so I thought ok and that was it.

I have been doing daily checks on the line checking if it got activated early where on the 2nd it synced up with a Max Rate of 7600 to 8000kbps and a data rate of 6800 to 7300kbps and it was still saying ADSL2 PLUS as the Modulation type, granted it only synced up the ADSL part and no WAN or IP, so no internet.

And today it all changed and we now have the sync speeds and stats of ADSL Max also gave the router its IP and also internet.
Sadly its due to get worse due to while I was able to access the internet on that line I noticed that we are getting loads of CRC errors for the downstream, so it will reduce our downstream even more.
So what started off as 6.5Mbits -> 5.2Mbits -> 4.26Mbits and now to drop even lower due to all the CRC errors where as when we was with Zen we got +6Mbits and in the worst case it dropped a little below the 6Mbits but went back up not long after, and we hardly got any disconnects either.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:30:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I still think it will be a default account setting, because BT Retail have it down for 8 Aug activation, when that setting will be updated.

Well one would hope, but sadly we cannot chance that which is why I will be phoning them tomorrow just to make sure, due to the 8th when it officially starts will be too late to cancel if its not what we wanted and we would be stuck with that package for the 12 Months that we would have left.

Also why would it be ADSL2 + with higher sync settings before (Zen was removed at this point and there was no BB tags or status on our line) to then be put to this.

But it might be like you said, but I would like to be sure before we are tied into the 12 moth contract.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:33:16
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

I've read bit about the estimates since I posted. I'm not at all sure i'm right.

What does this checker give for the estimates?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:36:16
Print Post

Well, as RobertoS points out, you won't know till 8 Aug when BT contracted to activate it (fully). It is pointless worrying about it or complaining to BT till then. Once it is sorted out you will certainly get ADSL2+ as it is a 21CN ADSL2+ exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:43:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I've read bit about the estimates since I posted. I'm not at all sure i'm right.

What does this checker give for the estimates?

Telephone Number xxxx xxx xxxx on Exchange ILFORD CENTRAL is served by Cabinet 24

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 6.5 Capacity expected 19 September 2014
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5.5 Up to 1 4.5 to 6.5 Capacity expected 19 September 2014
ADSL Max Up to 4.5 -- 3 to 7.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I think this due to the "Capacity expected 19 September 2014" is why we was put on ADSL Max, but they could of said on the phone when I made the order and also give us a free (without extending the contract length or changing the agreed monthly price) transfer over to ADSL2 + on the September 19th, I wouldn't have any issue with that.

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 06-Aug-14 22:52:22)

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:50:51
Print Post

Well, as RobertoS points out, you won't know till 8 Aug when BT contracted to activate it (fully). It is pointless worrying about it or complaining to BT till then. Once it is sorted out you will certainly get ADSL2+ as it is a 21CN ADSL2+ exchange.

I understand what you and Roberto are saying, but I have never been lucky and there is no harm in just confirming this with BT on the phone.
And yes I am probably worrying over nothing, but I would hate to do nothing and be stuck on these settings and not be able to cancel (due to no cooling off period) if this really was what we was to get and end up with.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:53:56
Print Post

Ah, it's just a transient capacity issue.

I thought it unusual that BT would initially provision ADSL Max at an ADSL2+ exchange.

There's no need for a 'free transfer'; they will auto upgrade when the capacity becomes available. Your only issue is how reliable is the date.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:11:01
Print Post

There's the answer, unfortunately. No capacity.

As XraySpex says, they should upgrade it automatically, but we can't be sure - given the estimate below 8Mbps. You need to look at that checker now and then until the date.

I would record the date and time of the call when speaking to anyone about this. Preferably the name of the support person as well.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:13:41
Print Post

Ah, it's just a transient capacity issue.

I thought it unusual that BT would initially provision ADSL Max at an ADSL2+ exchange.

Yeah, that's what confused me and my brother.

There's no need for a 'free transfer'; they will auto upgrade when the capacity becomes available.

Yeah, I did read that on some sites, but a confirmation by BT on the phone will make me feel better.

Your only issue is how reliable is the date.

This is also true, this was last set to 31 of August and now is 19th September, if it means that I won't be able to upload anything until the 19th of September where they "do" a "free transfer" without any change in our 12 month contract or our monthly price plan that we agreed to, then so be it, I can live with holding off my uploads etc until then as long as it does happen.

What I don't get is there was an ADSL2 + port still on our line, so if there was a shortage why remove it and put this one on it, or is it like First come first server kind of thing and where we changed providers that port was released to the next person in the list and we are at the end of it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to