User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:18:21
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband good or bad?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In effect you didn't change provider. The Zen connection was ceased, with no replacement. As the exchange was clearly short of ports the released one would be retaken very quickly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:18:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There's the answer, unfortunately. No capacity.

As XraySpex says, they should upgrade it automatically, but we can't be sure - given the estimate below 8Mbps. You need to look at that checker now and then until the date.

I would record the date and time of the call when speaking to anyone about this. Preferably the name of the support person as well.

Well sadly we have been on the phone with BT the last few weeks trying to get BB with then due to issues between either BT or Zen (last provider that was moved to brother home over 3 weeks ago), and we was passed back and forth all other the place to even remember who we was talking to.

I will make a note when I next call them later tomorrow to confirm this.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:19:43
Print Post

I was meaning for this particular issue, that we've just discovered smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:25:36
Print Post

In effect you didn't change provider. The Zen connection was ceased, with no replacement. As the exchange was clearly short of ports the released one would be retaken very quickly.

Yeah, that's what I thought, even though BT said it was a migration and after 3 weeks tiring to tell them and even Zen getting involved they then realised that.

But it would of still been nice to of been told this due to they knew I wanted this also for upload as well and 1Mbit well 949.44kbits upload rate is just bearable where as 385kbits isn't any use for that sadly.

So yeah I will be checking every day to see if it changes.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:26:28
Print Post

I was meaning for this particular issue, that we've just discovered smile.

Oh, ok tongue
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:31:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
What I don't get is there was an ADSL2 + port still on our line
How do you make that out? You mean the one that was assigned to Zen up to 2 days ago? As you ceased Zen completely, that was released back into the pool and has probably be assigned to someone else. Anyway, you don't 'own' the port Zen used. Once you ceased Zen you made a complete break with all BB on your line and with BT you start afresh.

Throughout this thread you keep harping on the Zen BB connection that has no bearing on the new BT connection other than for comparison purposes.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:43:42
Print Post

I will be phoning BT tomorrow complaining about this due to not being told my upload speed when ordering even though they knew I was going to use it for uploading YouTube Videos and files on my site and Peer to Peer/Online Gaming etc.
I'm pretty sure that with residential service contracts such as this that you take them entirely under the terms of the supplier. You are not able to add your own conditions, particularly if you don't have them agreed in writing.

ISPs contract to provide a service w/out specifying the underlying technology they will employ to achieve that service.

OTOH you may be able, with difficulty, to argue 'Fit for Purpose' under the Sale of Goods & Services Act.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:47:29
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
What I don't get is there was an ADSL2 + port still on our line
How do you make that out? You mean the one that was assigned to Zen up to 2 days ago? As you ceased Zen completely, that was released back into the pool and has probably be assigned to someone else. Anyway, you don't 'own' the port Zen used. Once you ceased Zen you made a complete break with all BB on your line and with BT you start afresh.

Throughout this thread you keep harping on the Zen BB connection that has no bearing on the new BT connection other than for comparison purposes.

What I was getting at and trying to say was there was an ADSL2 + port on our line 2 days ago (i.e. last time I checked) where as our line was cleared of any broadband about 7am on the 1st of August when we maid our order on the phone, and I am aware that we don't own that port and that it gets released and given to the next person on the list when our BB has been ceased, I wasn't saying that, I was just wondering why I was given this without being told when I ordered it over the phone and that it would be transferred to ADSL2 + when a port becomes available around the 19th of September, and the confusing part was where it synced as ADSL2 + then and now this.

What I was trying to say is I should see around the same speeds due to our line hasn't changed to the exchange so our ADSL connection/sync settings should be around the same that's all, this was before we realised it was due to the lack of ports at the exchange.

And I wasn't trying to put Zen on the pedestal and saying how good they were, I am sure BT will also be good once everything has been confirmed by BT and we get transferred to an ADSL2 + port as soon as its our turn to be given one.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:55:49
Print Post

they should upgrade it automatically, but we can't be sure - given the estimate below 8Mbps.
Surely, they will provision ADSL2+, when available, and let the DLM (or the user) sort it out? After all, BT is phasing out 20CN kit.

Does all this mean that this particular exchange has both 20CN & 21CN DSLAMs present?

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Thu 07-Aug-14 00:05:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I will be phoning BT tomorrow complaining about this due to not being told my upload speed when ordering even though they knew I was going to use it for uploading YouTube Videos and files on my site and Peer to Peer/Online Gaming etc.
I'm pretty sure that with residential service contracts such as this that you take them entirely under the terms of the supplier. You are not able to add your own conditions, particularly if you don't have them agreed in writing.

ISPs contract to provide a service w/out specifying the underlying technology they will employ to achieve that service.

OTOH you may be able, with difficulty, to argue 'Fit for Purpose' under the Sale of Goods & Services Act.

Well TBH I cannot at this stage complain about the download speed due to the max rate is still around what we had before and after the 3 to 10 days of training the line it should balance out to around what we got before minus a little due to being put on ADSL Max, it was more to do with the upload and them knowing what the BB was to be used for and was part of the deal breaker for me and them confirming over the phone that this package I could do that which we cannot due to the 448kbps (385kbps) up speed.

As for adding my own conditions, I never added anything, I just said that I told them what I wanted the broadband for and was why it needed to be the unlimited option due to it would be used up to quick if we had a usage policy where they laughed and said ok, and was told by them yes that will be fine and that I would be able to do all that with this, when in fact its not.

But like what was said in a previous reply, we will hopefully be transferred to ADSL2 + once a port become available, when, I have no clue on the dates, but one can only hope smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to