User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 09:17:07
Print Post

BT Broadband good or bad?

[link to this post]

Hello All

Well we use to have Zen on my parents line which was my brothers which has recently moved out and got his own place, and took his connection with him so that he wouldn't be stuck with a full term contract before upgrading to FTTC there.

So we was left with our main connection which was BE that got brought by Sky and that's another story right there.

Anyway he moved out connection went live at his new home all was great his end.
So we are left with Sky BB Pro and also freeing up my parents line for another BB to become our main connection until we get our FTTP install completed which may be a while.

So we searched through all the providers and my mother wanted to use BT so that we could move over to their Fibre (330Mbit) package later on if we choose to.
Now here was the issue, we phoned BT BB Team and told them that we used to have Zen on there but that provider has been removed from our line over to my brother new home, and was told ok, we asked them to check the line was clear and wasn't tagged, so she did and said that there was nothing on there, so we went ahead and ordered BT's Unlimited package which was £7.50 p/m for 12 months with a 12 month contract and the £16 p/m starting from month 13, thought yep, that looks good and processed the order when just before the final checkout it started moaning about a MAC code and the order checked out and was put on delay for the MAC Code, so I phoned my brother and was told the Mac codes are for when you migrate from one provider to another and that we are not doing that and that we are ordering a new install.

So after 3 weeks of phoning BT and Zen which both seem to be blaming each other here, who was at fault here I don't know.

We was told a few times by BT when we phoned them that we would be phoned with an update with our BB Order Issue, we received no calls, then we got an email saying that they will be calling on the 30th of July about our BB and not to go out, so we didn't, and low and behold no phone call.

Anyway tag was removed on the 1st in the morning between 6-7am so we thought we would check our order has gone ahead when we was shocked to see that BT had cancelled our order and didn't even let us know either.

So we phoned BT;'s BB Sales to ask why, and even they could find the order or why it was cancelled.
So we reordered BT's BB Unlimited over the phone, now here was the issue the deal that we had ordered before was no longer available and when I told them what we had ordered and that it was the deciding vote why we chose them and that package, we was put on hold for a few mins and was then told ok, so we got the same deal that we originally got before BT cancelled it which is as follows:
Unlimited broadband up to 17Mbit £7.50 p/m for 12 months and £16 p/m starting from moth 13.
With a 12 month contract starting from the 8th of August.
We didn't bother with the BT Sports optional extras due to we have enough sport channels on Sky already.
So we are now getting what we originally ordered on the 15th of July which I think is a result.
The only issue is it seems that they are charging my parent for their phone line that has already been paid for to the end of the year, so we will be phoning them on Monday to question this.

Apart from that I think the phone call went great, they understood the issue we was having and was also apologized to as well.

Now as to how good of a service it will be I don't know, will find out in the week starting the 8th of August, but if its a reasonably stable at 5 to 6Mbit download we will be happy enough, well until our Fibre install gets restarted and completed that is tongue
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Aug-14 10:40:20
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband good or bad?

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

So line had a Zen ADSL2+ service on it and this was ceased (the fact a brother has it now is irrelevant if they are at a different address)

There was NO need to mention Zen at all to BT, the line should have been tag free with the cease clearing all those. My bet is on the initial conservation getting tags mentioned on the order caused the confusion, sometimes just saying nothing makes things simpler when dealing with call centres.

The second line in the property that has Sky on it, might possible have confused some reps if they were doing an address check, but if the line is active it should be done by phone number and not be an issue at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tthom
(member) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:26:41
Print Post

I have BT broadband unlimited on Adsl and it's just as fast and reliable as my be connection and it works great

Customer service isn't the best though when I have to phone them

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:45:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Andrew

Well I was told by my brother that Zen may not be fully removed due to it takes a few days to take effect even though he had Zen just start working at his home, and I was to ask BT and make sure it was clear before ordering, which I was told it was so we made the first order where we was presented with the MAC Code message.
That was why it was mentioned, and this TAG took 3 to 4 weeks to be removed.

As for the send connection, yeah, I think that may of confused them as well, due to you could hear a confused Hmmm on the phone and then be put on hold tongue

But it seems to of been sorted, just connected the old router to the line just to see the sync speeds and it seems like what I was expecting so all good so far.
Image of Router Status
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 02-Aug-14 16:54:49
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

Customer service isn't the best though when I have to phone them

Learn Hindii !

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Aug-14 18:36:00
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In my experience, far too much unfortunately frown language isn't the problem, just the very limited script they have to work to and the second level support isn't much better.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 19:04:49
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Have you tried turning it off and back on again.

Yes, its the big red button.

LOL.

When I get passed onto non UK support (not referring to BT here, but in general), I just ask for a local support due to your only reading a script and if I cannot resolve the issue then there are chances that you are not going to, and if it doesn't get sorted this time I am leaving due to you not supplying a working paid service which we have agreed to in contract, needs to be said in a firm voice but not being rude, and I normally get put on hold and then passed onto a local tech guy (maybe the next level up) and most of the time the issue is then resolved.

Though, you do get those very stubborn ones tongue

The classic one is when they are reading their script and half way though I say I have already tried that, but they just seem to ignore you and just continue, and you then tell them that I have tried this that and that and they are just stumped and have nothing else to read from the script, just makes me laugh.

Granted 70% of the calls are resolved and if they resolve the issue then great but if they have no clue why continue reading the script, just pass me onto somebody that can.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Aug-14 19:34:46
Print Post

I genuinely find BT support generally the worst I have experienced except for Bulldog in its watchdog days and they are rapidly catching up with Bulldog in my experience. In fact, if they can get something wrong, they will, even something as simple is ringing you when you say you are available. They have literally got it wrong every single time, though on one occasion they were only fifteen minutes outside that window when they rang to apologise for ringing at the wrong times. However, they do screw things up exceedingly politely.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 21:15:12
Print Post

I think its all down to who get passed onto, I find most of the local tech support ok and they seem to know their stuff when I am explaining my issue and I can be confusing when I explain stuff LOL.

Now 90% of the over seas tech support I have been passed onto just read their script and hope for the best, but if that doesn't help I get passed onto their manager, and then they pass me onto theirs and after a few forwarding's I end up with a local tech guy and they most of the time resolves the issue.

I also remember when an openreach engineer was down in the BT Pit to fix somebody else's phone I gather, we wasn't aware of this until I got a call on my Mobile from some of my mates asking why I didn't answer the phone.
Which I told them it hasn't rang here, picked up the phone and got a dial tone and said its working, called it myself and it just rang and rang.
It turns out the openreach guy connected us to somebody else's line and that ours wasn't connected to anything.

Now the tech support we was talking to funny enough was a local one and I had to explain it to them a few times due to they was confused due to I was phoning them on our landline that was at fault.

When an openreach engineer come round 24 hours later I was chatting to them and they looked puzzled and said ours and somebody else's line was swapped.
And that this happens all the time due to the state of the cables in the enclosure.

The strange thing was our broadband was working fine, not too sure why that would work still, but we had access to the internet,.
Standard User twds
(newbie) Sat 02-Aug-14 22:48:04
Print Post

I migrated to BT when it was ADSL about 18 months ago, and the service was good. I upgraded free to FTTC last November, and it has been consistent since then. I am about 480 metres from the FTTC cabinet, and reliably get 70 Mbs all the time.
Their service is very good, and the unlimited package at £26 a month excellent for streaming video, which I use a lot. Typical monthly usage around 100 Gig.
Considering I live in a small village in Cornwall, its an excellent service and I can recommend.
Standard User B31
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 23:32:14
Print Post

If you use twitter etc, try BTs social media team.

much better than the normal channels

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Aug-14 01:23:47
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Don't have time for social media but I'm glad to learn it has some use.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:26:55
Print Post

Well, I just checked the status on the broadband on my parents line and it seems to be active 2 days early, so I did some checks.

Looking at the info it seems that BT has put us on ADSL Max due to we are being capped at 448kbps on our upload speed shown in this image:
Router Speeds after put on BT
As you can see we have synced at 6,080kbps which will give us about 5.229Mbits and 448kbps which will give us about 385.28kbits.
Now we are getting 4.2Mbits where we should be getting at least +5Mbits due to we was getting +6Mbits on that line before we moved to BT and it used to sync at about 7,500 to 7,800kbps where as now its syncing at about 6,080kbps and with a cap at 448kbps where it was 1Mbit before.

However before it was activated we was on ADSL2 + shown in this image:
Router Speeds before BT activated us

BT knew we wanted this connection for uploading as well and was told that's fine and the BT Broadband Unlimited option we picked would be fine for that and there was no mention of "Oh and we will cap your upload speed to 448kbps" if we was aware of this cap then we may of thought to go with another provider.

Granted this was mentioned to the sales team when we originally ordered out BT BB package which for some reason got removed for no reason and we had to do a re-order over the phone where we was told the download speeds of 2.5Mbit to 7Mbit which was fine due to we used to get +6Mbits before so we were expecting the same due to the line hasn't changed, but there was no mention of the upload speed due to I would of questioned it.

I am still not sure why we was put on ADSL Max where we was previously on ADSL2 + and that there was already an ADSL2 + port on there so there was no need to put us on a slower port.

It seems that our contract hasn't started as yet going by what was sent in the email:
"Your contract is for: 12 months starting on 08 Aug 2014"

So is there any way for BT to put us on ADSL2 + without loosing our monthly price and contract length with the download speeds that we was getting before i.e. the +6Mbits and 1Mbit upload I know this line can achieve this due to we was getting more before the change.

Basically we have lost 1.5Mbits down speed and over 512kbits up speed and that is a lot when we are not getting much speed as it is frown

So now I can no longer do my YouTube uploads, 1Mbits up speeds was bad enough but to be put on 370kbits up would make it impossible to be used to upload stuff.

Thanks
Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:32:06
Print Post

You might find their broadband has not been activated on their account yet, and so defaults to G.DMT (which is a better way of telling it is ADSL Max). Does the previous ISP's login still work?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:33:09
Print Post

Who was the ISP "before BT activated us"?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:46:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You might find their broadband has not been activated on their account yet, and so defaults to G.DMT (which is a better way of telling it is ADSL Max). Does the previous ISP's login still work?

This BT connection is active due to I can route through that connection and browser sites like Google and our Dedicated Rack Server based in Germany in a datacentre.

*** Also used it to Post this ***

Nope, Zen was moved over to my brothers location a few weeks back which he is using now for Fibre.

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 06-Aug-14 20:08:54)

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:52:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Who was the ISP "before BT activated us"?

The previous provider was Zen which was great got +6Mbits on it with a +1Mbit up speed, but had a usage limit which was why it was our backup connection just in case our main went down.
My brother also used this line for work due to at the time was working from home and would never reach the 500GB usage limit.

And when he moved out he took that Zen connection with him.

I know there is a Capacity issue with ADSL2 + at our exchange but there was still an ADSL2 + interface/port still connected to it before they changed it for the ADSL Max one, so why remove the better one for this slower one.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 20:44:04
Print Post

You are getting slightly lower Down sync (-800 Kbps) simply cuz BT has provisioned you on ADSL Max, which in turn imposes an Up sync of 448 Kbps, while with Zen you were on ADSL2+.

What exchange are you on? It could well be that your exchange is only 20CN ADSL Max for BTw-based connections while Zen had ADSL2+ LLU there. Did you check beforehand? Are you assuming that cuz Zen is ADSL2+ there then BT must also be? That is not how it works. Zen will have their own ADSL2+ kit in the exchange, which is not BT's kit.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 21:49:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You are getting slightly lower Down sync (-800 Kbps) simply cuz BT has provisioned you on ADSL Max, which in turn imposes an Up sync of 448 Kbps, while with Zen you were on ADSL2+.

What exchange are you on? It could well be that your exchange is only 20CN ADSL Max for BTw-based connections while Zen had ADSL2+ LLU there. Did you check beforehand? Are you assuming that cuz Zen is ADSL2+ there then BT must also be? That is not how it works. Zen will have their own ADSL2+ kit in the exchange, which is not BT's kit.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNILC
We are on Ilford Central (LNILC) and it does support ADSL2 + due to I was syncing up as ADSL2 + 2 days ago.

SayKnows says the following for our Exchange:
BT ADSL broadband availability

You are connected to the Ilford Central telephone exchange.
ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services

According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
4.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
5.5Mbps or greater via ADSL2+

And as you can see by this image that it was syncing up to ADSL2 +:
Router Speeds before BT activated us

What I want to know is why did BT put us on ADSL Max (ADSL1 Port) when we can get ADSL2 +, in fact we was on ADSL2 + 2 (ADSL2 Port) 2 days ago, so why downgrade us.

I will be phoning BT tomorrow complaining about this due to not being told my upload speed when ordering even though they knew I was going to use it for uploading YouTube Videos and files on my site and Peer to Peer/Online Gaming etc.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:03:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
We are on Ilford Central (LNILC) and it does support ADSL2 +
Yes, it does! And not only that but Zen is not LLU'd there so they were also using BTw connections.

Bang goes that theory frown!

Have you tried changing the router settings to try to force ADSL2+?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:18:11
Print Post

I still think it will be a default account setting, because BT Retail have it down for 8 Aug activation, when that setting will be updated.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:24:10
Print Post

We are on Ilford Central (LNILC) and it does support ADSL2 +
Yes, it does! And not only that but Zen is not LLU'd there so they were also using BTw connections.

Bang goes that theory frown!

Have you tried changing the router settings to try to force ADSL2+?

Yep, tried everything, even hard set it to ADSL2 + and it just ignores what I set and syncs up as G.DMT
I had my suspicions when I ordered it over the phone where he told me the estimated download speeds of 2.5Mbits to 7Mbits where I told them that's fine we was getting +6Mbits with Zen, only after I got off the phone where I did a check on the speeds that I should get and the 2.5Mbits to 7Mbits showing up for ADSL Max, but where being told by friends that it will be ADSL2 + due to ADSL Max is ADSL1 so I thought ok and that was it.

I have been doing daily checks on the line checking if it got activated early where on the 2nd it synced up with a Max Rate of 7600 to 8000kbps and a data rate of 6800 to 7300kbps and it was still saying ADSL2 PLUS as the Modulation type, granted it only synced up the ADSL part and no WAN or IP, so no internet.

And today it all changed and we now have the sync speeds and stats of ADSL Max also gave the router its IP and also internet.
Sadly its due to get worse due to while I was able to access the internet on that line I noticed that we are getting loads of CRC errors for the downstream, so it will reduce our downstream even more.
So what started off as 6.5Mbits -> 5.2Mbits -> 4.26Mbits and now to drop even lower due to all the CRC errors where as when we was with Zen we got +6Mbits and in the worst case it dropped a little below the 6Mbits but went back up not long after, and we hardly got any disconnects either.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:30:18
Print Post

I still think it will be a default account setting, because BT Retail have it down for 8 Aug activation, when that setting will be updated.

Well one would hope, but sadly we cannot chance that which is why I will be phoning them tomorrow just to make sure, due to the 8th when it officially starts will be too late to cancel if its not what we wanted and we would be stuck with that package for the 12 Months that we would have left.

Also why would it be ADSL2 + with higher sync settings before (Zen was removed at this point and there was no BB tags or status on our line) to then be put to this.

But it might be like you said, but I would like to be sure before we are tied into the 12 moth contract.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:33:16
Print Post

I've read bit about the estimates since I posted. I'm not at all sure i'm right.

What does this checker give for the estimates?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:36:16
Print Post

Well, as RobertoS points out, you won't know till 8 Aug when BT contracted to activate it (fully). It is pointless worrying about it or complaining to BT till then. Once it is sorted out you will certainly get ADSL2+ as it is a 21CN ADSL2+ exchange.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:43:28
Print Post

I've read bit about the estimates since I posted. I'm not at all sure i'm right.

What does this checker give for the estimates?

Telephone Number xxxx xxx xxxx on Exchange ILFORD CENTRAL is served by Cabinet 24

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 6.5 Capacity expected 19 September 2014
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5.5 Up to 1 4.5 to 6.5 Capacity expected 19 September 2014
ADSL Max Up to 4.5 -- 3 to 7.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

I think this due to the "Capacity expected 19 September 2014" is why we was put on ADSL Max, but they could of said on the phone when I made the order and also give us a free (without extending the contract length or changing the agreed monthly price) transfer over to ADSL2 + on the September 19th, I wouldn't have any issue with that.

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 06-Aug-14 22:52:22)

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:50:51
Print Post

Well, as RobertoS points out, you won't know till 8 Aug when BT contracted to activate it (fully). It is pointless worrying about it or complaining to BT till then. Once it is sorted out you will certainly get ADSL2+ as it is a 21CN ADSL2+ exchange.

I understand what you and Roberto are saying, but I have never been lucky and there is no harm in just confirming this with BT on the phone.
And yes I am probably worrying over nothing, but I would hate to do nothing and be stuck on these settings and not be able to cancel (due to no cooling off period) if this really was what we was to get and end up with.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:53:56
Print Post

Ah, it's just a transient capacity issue.

I thought it unusual that BT would initially provision ADSL Max at an ADSL2+ exchange.

There's no need for a 'free transfer'; they will auto upgrade when the capacity becomes available. Your only issue is how reliable is the date.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:11:01
Print Post

There's the answer, unfortunately. No capacity.

As XraySpex says, they should upgrade it automatically, but we can't be sure - given the estimate below 8Mbps. You need to look at that checker now and then until the date.

I would record the date and time of the call when speaking to anyone about this. Preferably the name of the support person as well.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:13:41
Print Post

Ah, it's just a transient capacity issue.

I thought it unusual that BT would initially provision ADSL Max at an ADSL2+ exchange.

Yeah, that's what confused me and my brother.

There's no need for a 'free transfer'; they will auto upgrade when the capacity becomes available.

Yeah, I did read that on some sites, but a confirmation by BT on the phone will make me feel better.

Your only issue is how reliable is the date.

This is also true, this was last set to 31 of August and now is 19th September, if it means that I won't be able to upload anything until the 19th of September where they "do" a "free transfer" without any change in our 12 month contract or our monthly price plan that we agreed to, then so be it, I can live with holding off my uploads etc until then as long as it does happen.

What I don't get is there was an ADSL2 + port still on our line, so if there was a shortage why remove it and put this one on it, or is it like First come first server kind of thing and where we changed providers that port was released to the next person in the list and we are at the end of it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:18:21
Print Post

In effect you didn't change provider. The Zen connection was ceased, with no replacement. As the exchange was clearly short of ports the released one would be retaken very quickly.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:18:33
Print Post

There's the answer, unfortunately. No capacity.

As XraySpex says, they should upgrade it automatically, but we can't be sure - given the estimate below 8Mbps. You need to look at that checker now and then until the date.

I would record the date and time of the call when speaking to anyone about this. Preferably the name of the support person as well.

Well sadly we have been on the phone with BT the last few weeks trying to get BB with then due to issues between either BT or Zen (last provider that was moved to brother home over 3 weeks ago), and we was passed back and forth all other the place to even remember who we was talking to.

I will make a note when I next call them later tomorrow to confirm this.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:19:43
Print Post

I was meaning for this particular issue, that we've just discovered smile.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:25:36
Print Post

In effect you didn't change provider. The Zen connection was ceased, with no replacement. As the exchange was clearly short of ports the released one would be retaken very quickly.

Yeah, that's what I thought, even though BT said it was a migration and after 3 weeks tiring to tell them and even Zen getting involved they then realised that.

But it would of still been nice to of been told this due to they knew I wanted this also for upload as well and 1Mbit well 949.44kbits upload rate is just bearable where as 385kbits isn't any use for that sadly.

So yeah I will be checking every day to see if it changes.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:26:28
Print Post

I was meaning for this particular issue, that we've just discovered smile.

Oh, ok tongue
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:31:28
Print Post

What I don't get is there was an ADSL2 + port still on our line
How do you make that out? You mean the one that was assigned to Zen up to 2 days ago? As you ceased Zen completely, that was released back into the pool and has probably be assigned to someone else. Anyway, you don't 'own' the port Zen used. Once you ceased Zen you made a complete break with all BB on your line and with BT you start afresh.

Throughout this thread you keep harping on the Zen BB connection that has no bearing on the new BT connection other than for comparison purposes.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:43:42
Print Post

I will be phoning BT tomorrow complaining about this due to not being told my upload speed when ordering even though they knew I was going to use it for uploading YouTube Videos and files on my site and Peer to Peer/Online Gaming etc.
I'm pretty sure that with residential service contracts such as this that you take them entirely under the terms of the supplier. You are not able to add your own conditions, particularly if you don't have them agreed in writing.

ISPs contract to provide a service w/out specifying the underlying technology they will employ to achieve that service.

OTOH you may be able, with difficulty, to argue 'Fit for Purpose' under the Sale of Goods & Services Act.

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:47:29
Print Post

What I don't get is there was an ADSL2 + port still on our line
How do you make that out? You mean the one that was assigned to Zen up to 2 days ago? As you ceased Zen completely, that was released back into the pool and has probably be assigned to someone else. Anyway, you don't 'own' the port Zen used. Once you ceased Zen you made a complete break with all BB on your line and with BT you start afresh.

Throughout this thread you keep harping on the Zen BB connection that has no bearing on the new BT connection other than for comparison purposes.

What I was getting at and trying to say was there was an ADSL2 + port on our line 2 days ago (i.e. last time I checked) where as our line was cleared of any broadband about 7am on the 1st of August when we maid our order on the phone, and I am aware that we don't own that port and that it gets released and given to the next person on the list when our BB has been ceased, I wasn't saying that, I was just wondering why I was given this without being told when I ordered it over the phone and that it would be transferred to ADSL2 + when a port becomes available around the 19th of September, and the confusing part was where it synced as ADSL2 + then and now this.

What I was trying to say is I should see around the same speeds due to our line hasn't changed to the exchange so our ADSL connection/sync settings should be around the same that's all, this was before we realised it was due to the lack of ports at the exchange.

And I wasn't trying to put Zen on the pedestal and saying how good they were, I am sure BT will also be good once everything has been confirmed by BT and we get transferred to an ADSL2 + port as soon as its our turn to be given one.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 23:55:49
Print Post

they should upgrade it automatically, but we can't be sure - given the estimate below 8Mbps.
Surely, they will provision ADSL2+, when available, and let the DLM (or the user) sort it out? After all, BT is phasing out 20CN kit.

Does all this mean that this particular exchange has both 20CN & 21CN DSLAMs present?

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Thu 07-Aug-14 00:05:16
Print Post

I'm pretty sure that with residential service contracts such as this that you take them entirely under the terms of the supplier. You are not able to add your own conditions, particularly if you don't have them agreed in writing.

ISPs contract to provide a service w/out specifying the underlying technology they will employ to achieve that service.

OTOH you may be able, with difficulty, to argue 'Fit for Purpose' under the Sale of Goods & Services Act.

Well TBH I cannot at this stage complain about the download speed due to the max rate is still around what we had before and after the 3 to 10 days of training the line it should balance out to around what we got before minus a little due to being put on ADSL Max, it was more to do with the upload and them knowing what the BB was to be used for and was part of the deal breaker for me and them confirming over the phone that this package I could do that which we cannot due to the 448kbps (385kbps) up speed.

As for adding my own conditions, I never added anything, I just said that I told them what I wanted the broadband for and was why it needed to be the unlimited option due to it would be used up to quick if we had a usage policy where they laughed and said ok, and was told by them yes that will be fine and that I would be able to do all that with this, when in fact its not.

But like what was said in a previous reply, we will hopefully be transferred to ADSL2 + once a port become available, when, I have no clue on the dates, but one can only hope smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Aug-14 00:06:18
Print Post

there was an ADSL2 + port on our line 2 days ago (i.e. last time I checked) where as our line was cleared of any broadband about 7am on the 1st of August
Let me get this clear:
  • On 1 Aug you had NO Sync AND NO Internet access?
  • On 4 Aug you had Sync BUT NO Internet access?
  • On 6 Aug you had Sync AND Internet access?

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Thu 07-Aug-14 00:29:00
Print Post

there was an ADSL2 + port on our line 2 days ago (i.e. last time I checked) where as our line was cleared of any broadband about 7am on the 1st of August
Let me get this clear:
  • On 1 Aug you had NO Sync AND NO Internet access?
  • On 4 Aug you had Sync BUT NO Internet access?
  • On 6 Aug you had Sync AND Internet access?

Yes, on the 1st at 6am when I did a check on our line I was told the following "Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEZ" meaning no BB or any issues on the line, so I tried our router and nothing, which was why we phoned BT to resolve our issue with our order that has been on going for 3 weeks to find our order was cancelled by BT, so we made a fresh order also confirming what it was to be used for etc and after 10 to 15 mins managed to get the same deal as we had with our first original order.

And on the 2nd and 4th when I checked it synced up as ADSL2 + but with no internet I.e. no WAN IP.
And today the 6th we have it both syncing up as ADSL Max and being given a WAN IP and internet access.
Also the line checker now says "Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEC"
Z = No compatibility issues found.
C = Compatibility issue found. This could be several things eg. existing ADSL connection, pending ADSL order on line, ISDN, DACS, TPON, LLU, some
alarm systems.
Standard User JoeEyesDown
(newbie) Thu 07-Aug-14 16:40:55
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband good or bad? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Aug-14 17:08:50
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband good or bad? *DELETED*

[re: JoeEyesDown] [link to this post]

History shows 'they have been fantastic' type posts with link are spam, so post is gone.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Thu 07-Aug-14 18:02:22
Print Post

Ok, sort a long post, so here goes.

I haven't long got off the phone with BT which took two calls to get my answers confirmed.
First call I asked why I was put on ADSL Max where our exchange supports ADSL2 +, I was told that my line wasn't activated yet, and that I wouldn't know what I was on until then, so I would have to wait until its activated (i.e. tomorrow some time up to midnight) where I told them it has already been activated since yesterday and that I am using it now to access the BT site, and that tomorrow would be too late and that I need to know now so if it's no good for we wanted it for, which we was told it would be ok for, that we would cancel the order and go with another provider.
And I told her that if we waited till tomorrow it would be too late to cancel and that we would be stuck with it for the 12 months which she replies "that's correct", it started to seem that I wasn't getting no where so I asked to be put through to somebody local with technical knowledge that would be able to answer my questions, due to she was I think the sales department, so she gave me a number to call which I did.

Second Call, I managed to get through to a lovely lady who was very polite, so I explained the ins and outs about the line on the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th etc and asked why we was put on ADSL Max where the exchange supports ADSL2 +, where she also said that we would have to wait until tomorrow for it to be activated, so I told her it is activated and has been since yesterday, where I was told to hold on while she checks the line, where she also confirmed that we had been put on the 8MbIt ADSL Max and that it was in fact active and that she wasn't too sure why we was put on that due to we should of been put on the ADSL2 +, and that she tried to change us over to the 8Mbit interface to the 24Mbit interface but it wouldn't let her change anything due to it has us as still on going and that it will have to wait until tomorrow when the contract starts, after a few more checks and me also explain what the line was ordered to be used for she also agreed with me where I was put on hold while she spoke to somebody that knew more about the interface cards/ports in the exchange.

She came back and explained what has happened and why it has happened, which was because of no free ADSL2 + interface cards/ports free/available for me to be put on, and couldn't bee 100% sure what happened on the 1st maybe the interface card was turned off ready to be removed hence no syncing at all, and on the 2nd and 4th it must of been turned on to test the interface before it was removed which was probably why I saw ADSL2 + settings, and so not to be refused BB with them I was put on ADSL Max for the time being until a newer port ADSL2 + becomes available which is around 19th of September and that she guaranteed that we would be auto-transferred to one once one is available, sadly she could say when that would be due to first come first serve which I understand and am happy with, also this transfer will be free of charge and no change to our contract.

And was apologised to a couple of times throughout this call and told thank you for giving them a chance and hope provide us with a good service and if we have any issues with the broadband to call them.

I did say she was a nice lady didn't I smile

So now I know why and that its not permanent, well it depends on how many ADSL2 + ports are released or delivered to our exchange due to they started to continue rolling out FTTP there due to I just checked, so we will have to hold off my YouTube uploads and Online Gaming to the cloud stuff until around the 19th of September, so not all bad, if all goes well I may even have Fibre by then anyhow, if my sources are correct tongue.

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 07-Aug-14 18:09:34)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Aug-14 19:47:16
Print Post

What date exactly was it that you ordered BT BB and it was accepted? I know you had an abortive attempt on 15 July, but it is not clear when you made this proper order.

Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Thu 07-Aug-14 21:16:29
Print Post

What date exactly was it that you ordered BT BB and it was accepted? I know you had an abortive attempt on 15 July, but it is not clear when you made this proper order.
Well like you said the order that was made on the 15th of July was put on hold due to it requiring a MAC code, even though it was a new install, and on the 1st of August 6am to 7am we saw there was no BB on the line, and when we checked online we saw the order had been removed, so we waited until 8am and phoned to see what had happened where we was told it was cancelled and wasn't told why, anyhow we then made a fresh new order then and this went through fine.

So you could say the BT Broadband Unlimited order that was accepted was on the 1st of August at about 8am and at 8:51 we got the "Thanks for your BT Order: here's the detail" email.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Aug-14 21:34:58
Print Post

on the 1st of August ... at 8:51 we got the 'Thanks for your BT Order: here's the detail' email.
That is the actual acceptance. You have 14 calendar days from the following day to cancel, not as you said:
And I told her that if we waited till tomorrow it would be too late to cancel and that we would be stuck with it for the 12 months

Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Thu 07-Aug-14 22:14:14
Print Post

on the 1st of August ... at 8:51 we got the 'Thanks for your BT Order: here's the detail' email.
That is the actual acceptance. You have 14 calendar days from the following day to cancel, not as you said:
And I told her that if we waited till tomorrow it would be too late to cancel and that we would be stuck with it for the 12 months

Yeah I just noticed that in the email, don't know how I missed that.
A note about cancelling

From the day after you order your service, you've got 14 days to cancel without being charged for ending your contract early. But you'll still have to pay for what you use during that time. You can read about the extra early cancellation rights we give you in the BT Multi Play Services Agreement (MPSA) at bt.com/legalstuff

So we would have a week to test it out, so not all bad, it was where I read on BT's site some place that you get no cooling off period due to its a service and not an item, or something like that.

But that is good to know, thanks.
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Aug-14 10:13:47
Print Post

They've been excellent for me.

Had standard ADSL for about 10 months, which always ran at line speed.

Ordered FTTC when it became available and the BT ordering system played up. Rang India who couldn't help.

In the end I registered with the official BT forum who were excellent. They resolved the ordering issue and called on the day of install to check everything was OK.

I maxed the line out at 76Mb for a good 3/4 months but a mass take up of FTTC has seen cross talk kick in and I'm running at 65Mb now. I get that all the time, flat out.

Latency is excellent. 10ms ping to BBC.

Best ISP I have been with considering it's only £26 a month and I do hammer it.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2
Standard User PaulKirby
(regular) Fri 08-Aug-14 10:28:46
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Well most of the support (over seas) have been useless but there has been an odd few that were ok and at least knew stuff instead of being able to read from a card, but a load of companies are doing this now days, so I always try and get my issues sorted out by a local support person like the ones yesterday.

BT Home Hub 4 came this morning so setting it up while I reply.
I am sure BT will be the right choice to move to due to we are to be installed FTTP hopefully in the next few months according to my sources, and it would be very easy to upgrade from this to their fibre packages.

We have used a few BB Providers like Demon, BE, Zen, Sky may of been another one or two others cannot remember, but most have been good.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Aug-14 20:51:31
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wolvesmad:
Best ISP I have been with considering it's only £26 a month and I do hammer it.

I left when I was out of contract and the price was going up. Retentions could have got me a better price if I signed a new contract, but I also wanted Static IP which BT don't supply to domestic customers.

Pretty happy with PlusNet, nearly 2 months in, and haven't really seen a difference. Proof will be when the next iOS release is out !! (Apple not Cisco).

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to