User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User B31
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 23:32:14
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband good or bad?

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

If you use twitter etc, try BTs social media team.

much better than the normal channels

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Aug-14 01:23:47
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

Don't have time for social media but I'm glad to learn it has some use.
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:26:55
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Well, I just checked the status on the broadband on my parents line and it seems to be active 2 days early, so I did some checks.

Looking at the info it seems that BT has put us on ADSL Max due to we are being capped at 448kbps on our upload speed shown in this image:
Router Speeds after put on BT
As you can see we have synced at 6,080kbps which will give us about 5.229Mbits and 448kbps which will give us about 385.28kbits.
Now we are getting 4.2Mbits where we should be getting at least +5Mbits due to we was getting +6Mbits on that line before we moved to BT and it used to sync at about 7,500 to 7,800kbps where as now its syncing at about 6,080kbps and with a cap at 448kbps where it was 1Mbit before.

However before it was activated we was on ADSL2 + shown in this image:
Router Speeds before BT activated us

BT knew we wanted this connection for uploading as well and was told that's fine and the BT Broadband Unlimited option we picked would be fine for that and there was no mention of "Oh and we will cap your upload speed to 448kbps" if we was aware of this cap then we may of thought to go with another provider.

Granted this was mentioned to the sales team when we originally ordered out BT BB package which for some reason got removed for no reason and we had to do a re-order over the phone where we was told the download speeds of 2.5Mbit to 7Mbit which was fine due to we used to get +6Mbits before so we were expecting the same due to the line hasn't changed, but there was no mention of the upload speed due to I would of questioned it.

I am still not sure why we was put on ADSL Max where we was previously on ADSL2 + and that there was already an ADSL2 + port on there so there was no need to put us on a slower port.

It seems that our contract hasn't started as yet going by what was sent in the email:
"Your contract is for: 12 months starting on 08 Aug 2014"

So is there any way for BT to put us on ADSL2 + without loosing our monthly price and contract length with the download speeds that we was getting before i.e. the +6Mbits and 1Mbit upload I know this line can achieve this due to we was getting more before the change.

Basically we have lost 1.5Mbits down speed and over 512kbits up speed and that is a lot when we are not getting much speed as it is frown

So now I can no longer do my YouTube uploads, 1Mbits up speeds was bad enough but to be put on 370kbits up would make it impossible to be used to upload stuff.

Thanks
Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:32:06
Print Post

You might find their broadband has not been activated on their account yet, and so defaults to G.DMT (which is a better way of telling it is ADSL Max). Does the previous ISP's login still work?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:33:09
Print Post

Who was the ISP "before BT activated us"?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:46:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You might find their broadband has not been activated on their account yet, and so defaults to G.DMT (which is a better way of telling it is ADSL Max). Does the previous ISP's login still work?

This BT connection is active due to I can route through that connection and browser sites like Google and our Dedicated Rack Server based in Germany in a datacentre.

*** Also used it to Post this ***

Nope, Zen was moved over to my brothers location a few weeks back which he is using now for Fibre.

Edited by PaulKirby (Wed 06-Aug-14 20:08:54)

Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 19:52:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Who was the ISP "before BT activated us"?

The previous provider was Zen which was great got +6Mbits on it with a +1Mbit up speed, but had a usage limit which was why it was our backup connection just in case our main went down.
My brother also used this line for work due to at the time was working from home and would never reach the 500GB usage limit.

And when he moved out he took that Zen connection with him.

I know there is a Capacity issue with ADSL2 + at our exchange but there was still an ADSL2 + interface/port still connected to it before they changed it for the ADSL Max one, so why remove the better one for this slower one.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 20:44:04
Print Post

You are getting slightly lower Down sync (-800 Kbps) simply cuz BT has provisioned you on ADSL Max, which in turn imposes an Up sync of 448 Kbps, while with Zen you were on ADSL2+.

What exchange are you on? It could well be that your exchange is only 20CN ADSL Max for BTw-based connections while Zen had ADSL2+ LLU there. Did you check beforehand? Are you assuming that cuz Zen is ADSL2+ there then BT must also be? That is not how it works. Zen will have their own ADSL2+ kit in the exchange, which is not BT's kit.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Wed 06-Aug-14 21:49:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You are getting slightly lower Down sync (-800 Kbps) simply cuz BT has provisioned you on ADSL Max, which in turn imposes an Up sync of 448 Kbps, while with Zen you were on ADSL2+.

What exchange are you on? It could well be that your exchange is only 20CN ADSL Max for BTw-based connections while Zen had ADSL2+ LLU there. Did you check beforehand? Are you assuming that cuz Zen is ADSL2+ there then BT must also be? That is not how it works. Zen will have their own ADSL2+ kit in the exchange, which is not BT's kit.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNILC
We are on Ilford Central (LNILC) and it does support ADSL2 + due to I was syncing up as ADSL2 + 2 days ago.

SayKnows says the following for our Exchange:
BT ADSL broadband availability

You are connected to the Ilford Central telephone exchange.
ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services

According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
4.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
5.5Mbps or greater via ADSL2+

And as you can see by this image that it was syncing up to ADSL2 +:
Router Speeds before BT activated us

What I want to know is why did BT put us on ADSL Max (ADSL1 Port) when we can get ADSL2 +, in fact we was on ADSL2 + 2 (ADSL2 Port) 2 days ago, so why downgrade us.

I will be phoning BT tomorrow complaining about this due to not being told my upload speed when ordering even though they knew I was going to use it for uploading YouTube Videos and files on my site and Peer to Peer/Online Gaming etc.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Aug-14 22:03:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
We are on Ilford Central (LNILC) and it does support ADSL2 +
Yes, it does! And not only that but Zen is not LLU'd there so they were also using BTw connections.

Bang goes that theory frown!

Have you tried changing the router settings to try to force ADSL2+?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to