User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 20:22:34
Print Post

Re: BT Traffic Management Policy (Don't believe it!)

[re: sweepdog] [link to this post]

Do you mean to tweak your PC's settings or your router's, as they have management access to your HH router as it is. Though I don;t know if they have admin access without you letting them in or not and that he was just asking because it is normal to ask and give the user the option to decline. I don't use the HH, preferring my own, so haven't looked at the HH in any depth so don't know how much control they have of it remotely. But normally, insisting would be a no no, but asking.to help out via remote desktop or similar is not that unusual for help desk staff and. I do it for non-techy friends every now and then for something that is just easier and quicker to do than to explain how.
Standard User Kronos2001
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 21:13:30
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

As far as I'm aware their control of the HH is complete. Certainly a lot more than the customer using it. Anything that can be done in a CWMP session and possibly some extras beside. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069 looks like a good enough place to read. You should definitely recognise some of the acronyms from the HH event log.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Sep-14 21:43:03
Print Post

[re: Kronos2001] [link to this post]

Believe they were referring to remote desktop to the PC via the BT Helpdesk software.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 00:16:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by jcym:
Do you mean to tweak your PC's settings or your router's, as they have management access to your HH router as it is. Though I don;t know if they have admin access without you letting them in or not and that he was just asking because it is normal to ask and give the user the option to decline. I don't use the HH, preferring my own, so haven't looked at the HH in any depth so don't know how much control they have of it remotely. But normally, insisting would be a no no, but asking.to help out via remote desktop or similar is not that unusual for help desk staff and. I do it for non-techy friends every now and then for something that is just easier and quicker to do than to explain how.
yeah friends and family is OK. The guy on the chat window the other day definitely wanted to get me to install some software, answer yes to all the questions, so that he could fill in a form on my web browser

I am also guessing they remoted in to MikeVybiral's machine when he said this above
"It was only later when I clicked 'further info' on the speedtest page the technician had left on screen that I found the IP Profile setting. "

--
BT Infinity 2 installed 30.08.14 - currently profiled at Infinity 1 +10% though?!?
Ex O2 LLU/Sky

Edited by sweepdog (Tue 02-Sep-14 00:20:45)

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 10:03:35
Print Post

That was possibly the Desktop Help software available on your main account page

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12941...

I haven't bothered with it myself as I have some idea what I am doing, well I like to think so anyway smile, but others I know who are not so techy have found it useful in some instances and have saved them having to contact support for minor issues.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 02-Sep-14 10:10:02
Print Post

I think that jcym's comment is the fist time I have seen any suggestion of Desktop Help ever being useful to anyone.

--
BT Infinity 2, moving to PlusNet (26th Sept if all goes well)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:05:41
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Anything which can save you having to contact BT support has got to be a bonus smile. From my experiences over the last year I would prefer having teeth pulled than dealing with BT support, especially heir telephone support as it genuinely is the worst I personally have ever dealt with.
Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 17:25:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by jcym:
That was possibly the Desktop Help software available on your main account page

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12941...

I haven't bothered with it myself as I have some idea what I am doing, well I like to think so anyway smile, but others I know who are not so techy have found it useful in some instances and have saved them having to contact support for minor issues.
Is that something an engineer could activate remotely, and leave on your screen?
I think there was a later reference to "further diagnostics", which is the btwholesale page

--
BT Infinity 2 installed 30.08.14 - currently profiled at Infinity 1 +10% though?!?
Ex O2 LLU/Sky
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 18:09:57
Print Post

I'm not sure whether an engineer can activate it without your permission and I can't be bothered to install it to see if runs on startup making that possible. Otherwise if it is a case of only running it when asked by support only then would I expect them to have access. Though of course as I don;t use it and have no intention of installing it to see, I am only speculating. Plus, I noticed on a FAQ page earlier that the software can alert you about real time problems it sees or suspects developing, suggesting it is meant to be left running in the background.

Also, MikeVybiral mentions the support person actually taking control of his PC. Logically he then used MikeVybiral own browser to access the BT wholesale speed test. Then when he left the browser page open when he had finished, MikeVybiral clicked the further diagnostics button/more info button. Also, I don't know whether MikeVybiral used the desktop help software but ASIUI it does includes the ability to allow support staff to remote in to one's PC to carry out diagnostics or to help tweaking or setting things up, e.g. email settings and the like.

Which is what I expect he wanted to do with you and your email problem and the 'insist' bit is possibly a matter of interpretation of the words used.

Edited by jcym (Tue 02-Sep-14 18:10:31)

Standard User Kronos2001
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Sep-14 01:52:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well the bit I was responding to was this bit...
I don't use the HH, preferring my own, so haven't looked at the HH in any depth so don't know how much control they have of it remotely.
. That definitely reads as referring to the Home Hub to me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to