User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 12-Oct-14 13:52:50
Print Post

Re: Can't access BT HomeHub 4? But I'm online ok?

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Wireless connectivity had already been dismissed before you posted.

There are many examples I have seen posted of Homeplugs connecting to a neighbours. I believe it is widespread.

Postings in the thread just checked to see if the desktop was hardwired or by wireless, so you are nit picking there. Physically there may well have been a cable connected but that wouldn't stop a wireless connection being made assuming it was nor Windows 8.

However your suggestion that Homeplugs can span into a separate adjacent property or flat is interesting. I've personally tried to do this using TP-Link 200 Mbps plugs between a flat above a shop. It didn't play ball. So tell me how to do it when you actually WANT the facility.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 14:05:18
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

I think the best way is to tell the Homeplug that you don't want it to connect wink

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 18:10:25
Print Post

Single phase domestic power is single phase, wired in rotation down the street in rotation from three phase specifically to stop this sort of thing. It should put the same phase beyond the distance of Homeplug coverage. That said, folks are using super powered versions of these horrible things that pay no regard to EMC.
Also regarding hooking into a Sky hub, I am sure I remember reading somewhere, that no username or password being needed for Sky, with phone number recognition being used. If that is so, could it not be a security broblem.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 18:12:12
Print Post

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

When I was testing Homeplugs, I never needed to use any pairing buttons, they always auto-connected.

(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 18:14:49
Print Post

just let next door know his Homeplugs are allowing others free access to his network. I am sure that would soon see it sorted smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Oct-14 21:46:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Wireless connectivity had already been dismissed before you posted.
Not only that, but the Homeplugs had been proven to be the problem and the discussion had moved to solving that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Oct-14 21:52:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Postings in the thread just checked to see if the desktop was hardwired or by wireless, so you are nit picking there. Physically there may well have been a cable connected but that wouldn't stop a wireless connection being made assuming it was nor Windows 8.
[cough]
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Turn off the wireless of your desktop PC!

I reckon it is connecting you to an unsecured nearby Sky router.
We did already know that the PC was wired into the router. So my post dealt precisely with the possibility. I have come a cropper myself by not turning off the wireless when swapping to Ethernet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 23:02:49
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
just let next door know his Homeplugs are allowing others free access to his network. I am sure that would soon see it sorted smile

I've let him know and we've now paired his up using the inbuilt encryption buttons on them. They were TPLink types if anyone is interested. When I described what was happening he was rather shocked to say the least

Thanks again for all the replies and assistance.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 13-Oct-14 09:58:47
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
Single phase domestic power is single phase, wired in rotation down the street in rotation from three phase specifically to stop this sort of thing.

You are spot on there and explains why it is not always possible to connect to adjacent properties even when you would wish to do so. Furthermore use in a single occupancy commercial building may be tricky to use homeplugs if they have a three phase supply.

I would not have said the rotation of the phases for domestic properties in any given street was specifically to limit the range homeplugs. It is for load balancing of the electrical network. However, It does not necessarily mean that your immediate neighbour's are always on a different phase as there may have been infill development.

What does surprise me is that the range of some homeplugs is so great.
(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 12:20:42
Print Post

You are quite correct on the load balancing. I should have just said it helps to stop this sort of thing.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to