User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 12:22:15
Print Post

Re: Can't access BT HomeHub 4? But I'm online ok?

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

It was TP-Link that I tested and they auto-connected without manual pairing also.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Oct-14 19:15:01
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I do recall our first house bought when new in 1970. Some months after we'd moved in we had a power cut. About 4 houses in the road, including one next door neighbour.

Turned out one phase had blown and took many hours to get it sorted.

So, in that case at least, two adjacent properties were on the same phase.

But I also know, for other reasons to do with that property, the electricians who worked on it up were a bunch of cowboys.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Oct-14 10:13:17
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

The electricians are very unlikely to be the ones who ran the main incoming power feed to the house though. The DNOs are rather fussy about that.

In a perfect install it will be: Red : Yellow : Blue : Red : Yellow : Blue :Red : Yellow : Blue (or Brown Black Grey) along each side of the street. However, in practice there will be a break or T in the cable and three or maybe six feeds taken at that point. Which one goes to which house is a little random.

Ensuring a reasonably even distribution along the cable length ensures a reasonable load balance across the phases (as mentioned already) AND ensures the neutral is not overloaded. With three houses drawing exactly the same current and one on each phase, teh neutral current would be zero, however if they were on the same phase it would be the sum of the individual currents resulting in a need to increase the sizes of neutral in feed cables.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to