User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sun 12-Oct-14 08:42:24
Print Post

Can't access BT HomeHub 4? But I'm online ok?

[link to this post]

I have full access to the internet, all websites appear to work fine. But I'm trying to access my BT Home Hub 4 via my main desktop PC which is attached via a network cable to the hub. Usually just click on the desktop shortcut I have to get into it but no matter what I do all I get is the page below:-

http://i.imgur.com/k8NF1gD.jpg

I've tried switching the power off on the HH4, changing to Open DNS, flushed my Chrome DNS cache, tried Firefox and IE - still nothing, can't access the HH4? I've also tried accessing it over wireless via my tablet and iphone as well as another PC with a wireless dongle. Also tried switching off Windows Firewall. Op System is Win 8.1.

Googling the error doesn't come up with much info at all. I'm completely stumped!!

If I try accessing the hub via the IP 192.168.1.254 it gives me the error shown below:-

http://i.imgur.com/2gLuyn1.jpg

**EDIT** - Also, pinging that IP from an elevated cmd prompt gives me a 'request timed out'.

Here's what shows if I carry out an ipconfig /all command:-

http://i.imgur.com/Rg8yD7Y.jpg

Edited by RSV_Ecosse (Sun 12-Oct-14 08:43:07)

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:11:11
Print Post

Re: Can't access BT HomeHub 4? But I'm online ok?

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

quick reply....reboot the hub

ie turn it off then on again

acually

your default gateway is 192.168.0.1

your hub's address has been changed
Ian

Edited by ian007jen (Sun 12-Oct-14 09:13:36)

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:16:06
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
quick reply....reboot the hub

ie turn it off then on again

acually

your default gateway is 192.168.0.1

your hub's address has been changed
Ian

If I type 192.168.0.1 into a browser it shows I'm connected to a Sky Hub? What on earth? See screenshot below:-

http://i.imgur.com/9GtZl3R.jpg

Edited by RSV_Ecosse (Sun 12-Oct-14 09:16:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:27:02
Print Post

Try a tracert to bbc.co.uk see where it goes

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:33:32
Print Post

Turn off the wireless of your desktop PC!

I reckon it is connecting you to an unsecured nearby Sky router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:34:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Try a tracert to bbc.co.uk see where it goes

Tracert completed and is showing this:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.20]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 3 ms 4 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms ip-84-38-37-38.easynet.co.uk [84.38.37.38]
4 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms ntl-ge2-9.prt0.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [212.58.238.189]

5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
8 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms 132.185.255.149
9 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms fmt-vip71.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.20]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:37:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

There's no wireless connectivity on this PC. At all. I'm connected and always have been via a LAN cable direct to the HomeHub.
Standard User troublegum
(learned) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:42:23
Print Post

I reckon you're using Homeplugs and have accidentally paired with a neighbour's set.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:46:12
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by troublegum:
I reckon you're using Homeplugs and have accidentally paired with a neighbour's set.

Nope. This PC is connected via a Cat 5 cable directly into the back of the BT HomeHub 4. There are no homeplugs in between. There is a homeplug in the dining room which my wife's PC is connected to but this, my main desktop PC is directly connected to the router via a normal bog standard LAN cable.
Standard User troublegum
(learned) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:54:06
Print Post

I still reckon it's the homeplugs. Regardless of whether your PC is connected to it or not, If one of them is connected to your neighbour's as well as your router, then it's going to put 2 DHCP servers on your network.

Disconnect the homeplug from the router, renew your DHCP lease if necessary and try again.

Edited by troublegum (Sun 12-Oct-14 09:54:34)

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 09:57:25
Print Post

I still reckon it's the homeplugs. Regardless of whether your PC is connected to it or not, If one of them is connected to your neighbour's as well as your router, then it's going to put 2 DHCP servers on your network.

Disconnect the homeplug from the router, renew your DHCP lease if necessary and try again.

Well, you learn something every day. I'm flabbergasted! Just did as you said, disconnected the Homeplugs and switched them off at the mains sockets then restarted the router and lo and behold - I can access the HH4 and it seems to be pretty much back to normal. How on earth did that all happen? I wouldn't have thought I could have paired with a homeplug next door without having access to their security info?
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 10:38:44
Print Post

Now I need to work out why this is happening and how to prevent it, making my homeplug/powerline which is plugged into the router pair up with the one behind my wife's PC. Everything works as it should if I leave the powerline adaptors disconnected. As soon as I connect them up I go back to not being able to access my HH4 admin pages and we seem to be back on next doors network again. I have no idea how to get our homeplugs to pair up with each other rather than pair with next doors!!??
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:30:51
Print Post

Which homeplugs? there should be an encrypt button

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User troublegum
(learned) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:44:55
Print Post

I have no experience with Homeplugs but apparently they will only see other's on the same mains phase, and it is not that common to be able to see a neighbour's set.

It sounds like your neighbour needs to encrypt their set. No idea how to get your set to ignore the neighbour's one but there must be a way to do this.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 11:57:08
Print Post

It sounds like your neighbour needs to encrypt their set.
No, he needs to pair his, not his neighbour.

How many neighbours do you have? wink

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 12-Oct-14 12:05:38
Print Post

OP says "I have full access to the internet, all websites appear to work fine. But I'm trying to access my BT Home Hub 4 via my main desktop PC which is attached via a network cable to the hub.".

Ipconfig responds by saying your on network 192.168.0.xx so you won't be able to view web page http://192.168.254.1

Now some desktops also have inbuilt wireless connectivity in much the same way as laptops have. So my thoughts are that you have connected to your neighbours insecure wireless network. My suggestion would be to disable wireless connectivity on the desktop.

Next change the network settings on the home hub to, say, 192.168.16.xx - it will cause the router to reboot. Turn off your computer and all homeplugs and bring them all back on line.

Do an ipconfig to check you are now on network 192.168.16.xx and note the default gateway IP address - this must be on the same network and is the IP address of your router. You use this IP address to access your router.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 12:12:46
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

You could try reading the rest of the thread wink

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 12:36:56
Print Post

Sorted!!

I managed to get them to pair up using their built in encryption. For owners of the NewLink NL-HP555DL plugs, here's what I did:-

• Pressed and held down the 'Security' buttons for on each homeplug for more than 10 seconds. This 'leaves' the current network.
  • All lights on the homeplug go out briefly then light up again.
  • You can tell its successfully left the network by the fact that only the power and ethernet lights will be illuminated - the little house symbol for 'data' remains unlit.
  • Then you press and hold the 'Security' button for less than 3 seconds on the first homeplug (the one next to the router and connected to it via the LAN cable).
  • The power light starts slowly blinking. You then proceed to the other homeplug and do the same - hold the 'Security' button down for less than 3 seconds.
  • Same again, power light will rhythmically blink slowly for about 10 seconds or so as they pair using network encryption.

That's it - job done. Can now access my BT Home Hub and checking the ipconfig of both PC's it is showing as it should for the HH4 - 192.168.1.254.

I've posted the above procedure as I couldn't find a damn thing about it online anywhere in relation to the NewLink NL-HP555DL 500 Mbps plugs as far as a user guide etc is concerned. Until I eventually tracked down the info on an obscure university help forum. Hopefully Google will throw up this thread if anyone else has similar issues in future and looks for info on the NL-HP555DL. That said, the above procedure is more than likely similar to most other homeplugs.

Thanks for the assistance and replies folks, much appreciated. Just glad to have solved the issue!

Edited by RSV_Ecosse (Sun 12-Oct-14 12:38:10)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 12-Oct-14 12:56:28
Print Post

You could try reading the rest of the thread wink

I read it all, so what are you trying to say? But in any event the issue has been sorted by the OP. My post was a line of diagnostics that hadn't been considered and could have been a solution; are we not allowed to express an opinion?

I have never known an instance of a homeplug connectivity extending beyond the meter where a pair of plugs are being used, so tapping into a neighbours network seemed most unlikely, if not technically impossible.

I also feel that using the default LAN address is not good practice, as is any default settings. Every one should be changed to make your installation more secure.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 13:12:34
Print Post

Wireless connectivity had already been dismissed before you posted.

There are many examples I have seen posted of Homeplugs connecting to a neighbours. I believe it is widespread.

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 12-Oct-14 13:52:50
Print Post

There are many examples I have seen posted of Homeplugs connecting to a neighbours. I believe it is widespread.

Postings in the thread just checked to see if the desktop was hardwired or by wireless, so you are nit picking there. Physically there may well have been a cable connected but that wouldn't stop a wireless connection being made assuming it was nor Windows 8.

However your suggestion that Homeplugs can span into a separate adjacent property or flat is interesting. I've personally tried to do this using TP-Link 200 Mbps plugs between a flat above a shop. It didn't play ball. So tell me how to do it when you actually WANT the facility.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 12-Oct-14 14:05:18
Print Post

I think the best way is to tell the Homeplug that you don't want it to connect wink

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 18:10:25
Print Post

Single phase domestic power is single phase, wired in rotation down the street in rotation from three phase specifically to stop this sort of thing. It should put the same phase beyond the distance of Homeplug coverage. That said, folks are using super powered versions of these horrible things that pay no regard to EMC.
Also regarding hooking into a Sky hub, I am sure I remember reading somewhere, that no username or password being needed for Sky, with phone number recognition being used. If that is so, could it not be a security broblem.

(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 18:12:12
Print Post

When I was testing Homeplugs, I never needed to use any pairing buttons, they always auto-connected.

(experienced) Sun 12-Oct-14 18:14:49
Print Post

just let next door know his Homeplugs are allowing others free access to his network. I am sure that would soon see it sorted smile

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Oct-14 21:46:36
Print Post

Not only that, but the Homeplugs had been proven to be the problem and the discussion had moved to solving that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Oct-14 21:52:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Postings in the thread just checked to see if the desktop was hardwired or by wireless, so you are nit picking there. Physically there may well have been a cable connected but that wouldn't stop a wireless connection being made assuming it was nor Windows 8.
[cough]
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

We did already know that the PC was wired into the router. So my post dealt precisely with the possibility. I have come a cropper myself by not turning off the wireless when swapping to Ethernet.

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(member) Sun 12-Oct-14 23:02:49
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
just let next door know his Homeplugs are allowing others free access to his network. I am sure that would soon see it sorted smile

I've let him know and we've now paired his up using the inbuilt encryption buttons on them. They were TPLink types if anyone is interested. When I described what was happening he was rather shocked to say the least

Thanks again for all the replies and assistance.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 13-Oct-14 09:58:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Single phase domestic power is single phase, wired in rotation down the street in rotation from three phase specifically to stop this sort of thing.

You are spot on there and explains why it is not always possible to connect to adjacent properties even when you would wish to do so. Furthermore use in a single occupancy commercial building may be tricky to use homeplugs if they have a three phase supply.

I would not have said the rotation of the phases for domestic properties in any given street was specifically to limit the range homeplugs. It is for load balancing of the electrical network. However, It does not necessarily mean that your immediate neighbour's are always on a different phase as there may have been infill development.

What does surprise me is that the range of some homeplugs is so great.
(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 12:20:42
Print Post

You are quite correct on the load balancing. I should have just said it helps to stop this sort of thing.

(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 12:22:15
Print Post

It was TP-Link that I tested and they auto-connected without manual pairing also.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Oct-14 19:15:01
Print Post

I do recall our first house bought when new in 1970. Some months after we'd moved in we had a power cut. About 4 houses in the road, including one next door neighbour.

Turned out one phase had blown and took many hours to get it sorted.

So, in that case at least, two adjacent properties were on the same phase.

But I also know, for other reasons to do with that property, the electricians who worked on it up were a bunch of cowboys.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 14-Oct-14 10:13:17
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

The electricians are very unlikely to be the ones who ran the main incoming power feed to the house though. The DNOs are rather fussy about that.

In a perfect install it will be: Red : Yellow : Blue : Red : Yellow : Blue :Red : Yellow : Blue (or Brown Black Grey) along each side of the street. However, in practice there will be a break or T in the cable and three or maybe six feeds taken at that point. Which one goes to which house is a little random.

Ensuring a reasonably even distribution along the cable length ensures a reasonable load balance across the phases (as mentioned already) AND ensures the neutral is not overloaded. With three houses drawing exactly the same current and one on each phase, teh neutral current would be zero, however if they were on the same phase it would be the sum of the individual currents resulting in a need to increase the sizes of neutral in feed cables.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to