User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 02:42:56
Print Post

What Are They Like?.

[link to this post]

Thinking of changing my broadband over to these so i get the bt sports for free, what are they like, is it really unlimited, i am with plusnet at the moment and have no problems with them.
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Sat 22-Nov-14 06:35:26
Print Post

Re: What Are They Like?.

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Yes, the unlimited packages are totally unlimited. Personally I've downloaded as much as 300GB in a month, but know there are people that download a whole lot more.

Been very reliable for me, good speeds with no slow downs at any time of the day.

Plusnet are a BT company by the way. They're just aimed at the more budget end of the market.

BT Infinity 1 Unlimited
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 07:18:17
Print Post

Re: What Are They Like?. *DELETED*

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Post deleted by brandscill

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 07:19:05
Print Post

They re terrible. The customer support i found to be appalling and one of the worst I've had to deal with. I would imagine they're fine all the time you don't have a problem but unfortunately for me I always had a problem.

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Sat 22-Nov-14 09:17:29
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Well yes, I've never really had to use customer service, except when I was going to leave for a better deal. They gave me excellent customer service by giving me Infinity 1 unlimited for just over £15/month. So can't complain. Maybe if you have a fault things are different though?

BT Infinity 1 Unlimited
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 11:46:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomxlisa:
Thinking of changing my broadband over to these so i get the bt sports for free, what are they like, is it really unlimited, i am with plusnet at the moment and have no problems with them.

You will probably e better off just getting BT Sport through Plusnet for the extra £5.99 per month, It will be around the same price as a package with BT if not a bit cheaper.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
VirginMedia Over-Utilized! Fix Delayed Until 18th February 2015
Changed IP and uBR Updated ST and BQM Links Coming Soon.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 13:40:11
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Plusnet appear to be the BT arm for LLU competitors.
On Market 1 Plusnet are more expensive than BT.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:09:47
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Look around. ALL sport, BT included can be watched for free.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:13:26
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

That maybe so, but I think the customer might want something a bit more high quality and LEGAL...

I'm here to learn and help others using my experiences, not to argue with obnoxious people.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:40:36
Print Post

It is legal.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:40:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
That maybe so, but I think the customer might want something a bit more high quality and LEGAL...

Typical fora know-all - There is NOTHING illegal about watching streams. You are downloading nothing and it's the folks UPLOADING their streams that are breaking the law. been covered here many many times. You can subscribe a fortune to every supplier and STILL not have access to the 15 3.00pm UK football matches I can see on one site alone.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:41:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
It is legal.

Us in agreement !! - Whatever next lol.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:45:25
Print Post

OK, My Bad but still stand by my Quality statement

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:46:50
Print Post

Are you planning to watch BT Sport via a Sky Box or Internet?

Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 14:47:39
Print Post

I came the other way, moving to Plusnet from BT because of (1) price hikes needed to pay for BT TV ventures which I don't want and (2) deteriorating service with slower speeds and frequent outages culminating in two weeks' downtime in February. BB was returned with 50% upload speed, the Indian operators saying for months that nothing could be done until I complained to the CEO's office and reached higher level.

Plusnet's takeover was a disaster salvaged only by this website and its Plusnet rep patrols. Since then I have encountered half-hour waits for phone support, not to mention the well-published outages caused by (I understand) system faults. If I renew next year it will only be at half-price rates to reflect this 50% service.

Otherwise I am pleased with PN while it works, my BB is 50% faster than it was with BT and the PN forum seems to offer much better support than does BT Community. Despite the foregoing, if I were in your shoes I would definitely stay where I am, there's no contest. As for the sport, I see PN offering a BT Sport package.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 15:17:19
Print Post

Very very watchable for free.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 22-Nov-14 16:12:13
Print Post

I recently left BT for Plusnet, mainly because of price.
Especially as Plusnet 40/20 just suited me and BT didn't have an equivalent. £100 or so cashback and an introductory offer from Plusnet helped.

I've found Plusnet marginally better, but personally didn't really have any problems with BT (except BT Cloud which is [or was] rubbish).
If I'd been interested in sport I might have stayed with BT.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 16:53:23
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Plusnet appear to be the BT arm for LLU competitors.
On Market 1 Plusnet are more expensive than BT.

Yes, but WHY are they so expensive on Market 1? We hear they cannot offer lower prices due to BTW cost, but others can resell line rental for £6. many offer phone and broadband contract free with no call connection fee, per second billing and calls at 1p. Seems it's screwing folks for line rental to offer loss-leading Broadband, with the snare of a long tie-in thrown in free.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 22-Nov-14 16:54:23)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Nov-14 17:45:13
Print Post

Anyone selling line rental for £6 a month including VAT is running it as a loss leader

Retailers offer the options and people make their minds up, called competition

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 18:29:51
Print Post

Pulse 8 Line rental is £13 unless broadband is taken, Broadband is not cheap at £19 ( similar to BT and Plusnet ) Priced to obtain both
On market 1 there is little competitition BT is not going to compete against itself with Plusnet
BT only offer 1 pricing for all and could not compete with likes of Sky, TalkTalk on LLU.
BT I have never had a problem with.However, new pricing makes them uneconomic for a low Talk, Broadband and non Sport user.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 19:53:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:
Pulse 8 Line rental is £13 unless broadband is taken, Broadband is not cheap at £19 ( similar to BT and Plusnet ) Priced to obtain both
On market 1 there is little competitition BT is not going to compete against itself with Plusnet
BT only offer 1 pricing for all and could not compete with likes of Sky, TalkTalk on LLU.
BT I have never had a problem with.However, new pricing makes them uneconomic for a low Talk, Broadband and non Sport user.

Yeah, but £19 still cheaper than PN on market 1 and £13 line rental also cheaper than both. But, the £6 line rental if Broadband is taken, making £25 is far far cheaper than both, but I am more concerned with good U.K. customer service and no contracts. Was quite happy paying Zen/Freeola a total of £39.98 until I got [censored] service. A figure that will give change from no contract fibre with Pulse8.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 19:59:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Anyone selling line rental for £6 a month including VAT is running it as a loss leader

Retailers offer the options and people make their minds up, called competition

Quite agree, some Increase line rental if Broadband is taken, now I can understand folks pulling that to pieces, but not a £6 discount, but that is folks and forums. Personally, I put no contract first in my order of priorities, then good service followed by bottom line price regardless of how it's made up. Others put price first. Many here seem happy to suffer bad service so long as there is sign up cash back , called choice. Don't need a watch to know it's evening, the Enta dropped packets tell my that again now, so that's one saving.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 22-Nov-14 20:03:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 20:07:20
Print Post

Are you on Pulse 8 yet, or is it next Wednesday?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 20:26:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you on Pulse 8 yet, or is it next Wednesday?

Next Wednesday Bob. For me, it's simply finding another decent supplier contract free if I can. Have been paying £19.99 for Freeola Enta Broadband. Thought it good service for well over two years, but Enta now going downhill. have been paying exactly the same again for the Zen line with 5,000 minutes included. Both having given me poor service recently, it's time to move on. saving £10 with Pulse8 is just a bonus - Contract free is the main attraction, even for fibre should I wish to switch in a couple of months when available. Was a little worried about losing my long held number if I want to switch from Business LLU to BT fibre, but assured it not a problem. Apparently have "a button to press" to put it back into the BT pool and immediately reallocate.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 22-Nov-14 20:29:32)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 20:47:07
Print Post

Lol, so you think it may be ok but you don't know. I bet the OP finds that really helpful.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 20:52:38
Print Post

I'm wondering precisely what services Pulse 8 utilise, I must admit. As I said earlier, their finances look fine, so they must be doing something a lot right.

It's unlikely they are a stand-alone BTW ISP, which suggests some tie-in with either Enta or Daisy. I'm sure you will have checked it isn't Enta. Unless it's LLU-based, in which case they are taking a big punt on the no contract side.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 20:55:45
Print Post

I'm wondering precisely what services Pulse 8 utilise, I must admit. As I said earlier, their finances look fine, so they must be doing something a lot right.

It's unlikely they are a stand-alone BTW ISP, which suggests some tie-in with either Enta or Daisy. I'm sure you will have checked it isn't Enta. Unless it's LLU-based, in which case they are taking a big punt on the no contract side.

BTW or TT LLU Business where available. That was my very first question when I sent an enquiry. They are that confident of holding folks with top customer service, they are happy to take the hit if you move from TT LLU or BT fibre.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 22-Nov-14 21:13:51)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 20:57:41
Print Post

Lol, so you think it may be ok but you don't know. I bet the OP finds that really helpful.

Think what may be OK ??

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:00:24
Print Post

PulseB

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:01:36
Print Post

When I called BT they did offer me a package which worked out about 3 quid more than I am paying now but I would have the sports included with it, but like some people have said if I got sports from Plusnet it would probably only cost me a few quid more and without the hassle of all the changing over, what I find weird too is on the BT checker it says I can get 300mb speeds on fibre but on all the other checkers on other providers it says I can't even get fibre, plus the steams are ok but the quality is most the time rather poor.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 22-Nov-14 21:05:32)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:07:24
Print Post

PulseB

And where have I said "I think it might be alright, but don't know"? _ Just waddle off and find fault with someone else, as I am not worried about any supplier that does not tie me in.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:09:02
Print Post

Hmmm re fibre. What does this checker say for your number? (Please copy and paste including the line above the table, but remove your phone number. Don't worry about the table layout, we can work that out).

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:12:02
Print Post

What are you on about? I said that because you're extolling the virtues of PulseB but you haven't been migrated over to them yet.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:16:42
Print Post

What are you on about? I said that because you're extolling the virtues of PulseB but you haven't been migrated over to them yet.

Not at all, simply that I like what they offer and so far I have had prompt customer service. You should know me well enough, that if I suffer [censored] service I will not hide the fact. All I am doing is answering questions form the likes of Bob, or comparing priced with the likes of Flippery, while you are just nit-picking as usual.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:18:54
Print Post

He's meaning it looks all right, and he is putting his money where his mouth is, on the basis that if it doesn't work out moving elsewhere is not a problem.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:20:52
Print Post

Hmmm re fibre. What does this checker say for your number? (Please copy and paste including the line above the table, but remove your phone number. Don't worry about the table layout, we can work that out).

I know what is says BOB - Fibre not available. I also know my cab 300m away was wired to the adjacent new fibre cab over three months ago. End of Dec pencilled in, but may be happy with LLU.
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAGLE

Edited by professor973 (Sat 22-Nov-14 21:21:40)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:27:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:

Not at all, simply that I like what they offer and so far I have had prompt customer service.
They're always happy to take your money, but I don't believe it's a good basis for a recommendation given that you have no experience of their product.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:28:25
Print Post

I think RobertoS was asking the OP wink

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:28:52
Print Post

It says that WBC FTTP fibre is available and says I should get speeds around 330mb and upload 30mb, does this mean i can get fibre as when i called Plusnet they said no?.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 22-Nov-14 21:37:55)

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:39:38
Print Post

Not at all, simply that I like what they offer and so far I have had prompt customer service.
They're always happy to take your money, but I don't believe it's a good basis for a recommendation given that you have no experience of their product.

And I don't think you are a good recommendation for attracting TBB forum members, but I am entitled to my opinions.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:44:17
Print Post

I don't remember recommending them. Just saying what I am doing and what I have found they offer - A company staffed by IT professionals that unlike some at the likes of PN, actually know what they are talking about. No skin off my nose if they good or bad. Happy to take resold Talktalk LLU business with no contact with TT direct or tie-in

Edited by professor973 (Sat 22-Nov-14 21:46:24)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 21:44:52
Print Post

You should be able to get Infinity from BT.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:03:06
Print Post

As BatBoy says, but I think at the normal 40 (Infinity 3) or 80Mbps (Infinity 4). For some reason the BT web site has now made that impossible for me to find frown.

The 330Mbps I believe is only on BT Business, though I could be wrong.

Plusnet have an ongoing trial of FTTP, which you can see in the Plusnet Community forums, but they say entry to the trial is closed. frown

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:23:41
Print Post

I have just spoke to Plusnet and they say i cant get FTTP with them but FTTP is available to me from BT and i can get the 330mb fastest speeds, but this would mean changing over my provider from Plusnet to BT, the guy on the phone said he would do it though as it would be a very fast line and it would be fibre direct from the exchange to me so no slow downs either.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:25:44
Print Post

Bt Infinity 3 is up to 200Mbps and BT Infinity 4 is up to 300Mbps. They are residential packages.
You can't see them if your address doesn't have them available.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:26:53
Print Post

And you'd get BT Sport

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:29:40
Print Post

Yep, just don't know if the price and the isp difference would be worth it, i like Plusnet and am happy with them, if Plusnet did FTTP i would be having it in a shot as the guy on the phone said the quality of the internet via FTTP would be so much better as its the best fibre you can get.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 22-Nov-14 22:30:00)

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:31:31
Print Post

Yep my address details and number show all of them so they must be for home use too even the top speed package. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:34:05
Print Post

You can't see them if your address doesn't have them available.
Ah.

I used to be able to see them on the website! Nothing to do with an enquiry about my line.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:36:26
Print Post

If you attempt to buy as a new customer and use an enabled postcode you will see them.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:37:58
Print Post

Is infinity 4 the fastest they do then?.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:44:17
Print Post

Yes, I suppose that would work. But it used to be fairly easy to find. Not obvious, but not impossible.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:46:28
Print Post

Yes it's 300 down and 20 up. £100 Sainsburys gift voucher if you order online too.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 22:54:12
Print Post

Think i read it was 30mb upload, shame i don't shop at sainsburys though, is the voucher easy enough to claim, i am just wondering if i would get a better deal if i called up instead of ordering online?.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 22-Nov-14 22:54:33)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Nov-14 23:02:30
Print Post

I imagine it's pretty easy to claim otherwise it's a useless gimmick. I hear Sainsburys sells the same food as everyone else though.

There may be cash back available at Quidco or Topcashback as an alternative.

You don't have to go for the fastest, you can choose Infinity 1,2,3 or 4.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 22-Nov-14 23:19:16
Print Post

Same foods maybe but a sainsburys isn't in my town so would be pretty useless, and that is true, the guy on the phone said he didn't know if infinity 1 would be available over FTTP but should be, he didn't know if it was just infinity 3 and 4.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 00:13:54
Print Post

Guy on the phone sounds like he's as clued up as the rest of them wink
There's supposed to be a dedicated FTTP order line on 0800 587 4787, but I found online was the best way to order when I got FTTC.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 00:22:22
Print Post

Yeah topcashback seem to offer a nice £42 quid back and you still get the sainsbury vouchers which aint too bad. smile
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 00:23:35
Print Post

Sky box.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 00:37:15
Print Post

It's £3 per month for HD.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 01:41:27
Print Post

I think i am gonna go for the FTTP option with BT and change my broadband over as you get sports free with that too and it gets me on the fibre technology which is newer and better than what i am on now, from reading on here it seems the service from BT is great but the customer support side of things isn't so good, lets just hope i never need them. laugh
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 02:08:05
Print Post

http://www.pulse8.co.uk/about.php

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 02:22:16
Print Post

No call centers
No spell checkers.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 02:23:03
Print Post

Real fibre broadband. Good choice wink

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 10:08:29
Print Post

No call centers
No spell checkers.

You really are enough to put tits on tinned milk aren't you. Would bet your Mother gave up after you turned up.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 10:22:42
Print Post

According to that youtube clip they are a professional graphic design company. Pity they let themselves down in that way.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 10:38:18
Print Post

No call centers
No spell checkers.

Nothing wrong with centers. See it all the time in a multi-national company.

Edited by flippery (Sun 23-Nov-14 10:39:42)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 10:40:02
Print Post

lol

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 12:20:47
Print Post

According to that youtube clip they are a professional graphic design company. Pity they let themselves down in that way.

Well you are the expert in letting oneself down. I would lay you would argue with yourself in the bathroom mirror! - Will leave you to argue with yourself, as off to watch another GRAND PRIX!

Edited by professor973 (Sun 23-Nov-14 12:22:37)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 12:55:47
Print Post

You have a strange view of your future ISP. It's not a religion, it's a business.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 13:44:42
Print Post

Sky box.

Plusnet or BT are you options then!

I would go and get BT Sport from Plusent as BT are said to suck for Customer Service.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 13:47:34
Print Post

You probably missed the fact that he can get FTTP with BT, due to all the OT posts.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 13:48:54
Print Post

Oooooh OK Sorry, It is FTTP and not FTTPoD I assume!

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 13:53:52
Print Post

Yes, GEA FTTP smile

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 13:55:14
Print Post

Yes, GEA FTTP smile

Awesome, I'll be quiet now laugh

Glad to here someone can get it!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:02:09
Print Post

HINT

I know you moan about your suspensions but you are allowing yet again someone disagreeing with your viewpoint to result in you making personal attacks.

Nothing wrong with two people disagreeing, but when one side starts slinging around personal attacks then it is becoming too much.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:09:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
HINT

I know you moan about your suspensions but you are allowing yet again someone disagreeing with your viewpoint to result in you making personal attacks.

Nothing wrong with two people disagreeing, but when one side starts slinging around personal attacks then it is becoming too much.

Don't see any more of a personal attack than the pain throws at me. just expressing an opinion that I am as entitled to do as he.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:16:22
Print Post

"You really are enough to put tits on tinned milk aren't you. Would bet your Mother gave up after you turned up."

Is a lot more than an opinion, it is a personal attack on the poster and their mother.

If you cannot see that and refuse to acknowledge that that comment was a comment too far and accept to not do the same again then I will be left with no recourse but to suspend you yet again.

Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 17:58:03
Print Post

BT customer service is fine, especially if you use the web chat. The phone support is good too; you can be put through to the UK for certain issues, such as retention. I messed up a password change (my fault) and this was sorted in 5 minutes via India. I queried my BB charge and got a reduction in 10 minutes via India, then the UK. You pay for what you get.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:01:01
Print Post

Well Me'Lud, we have covered this many times and you know how little a ban worries me. I never miss have every word I post being rubbished, so in future, dispense the warnings and just ban me as you see fit.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:14:51
Print Post

I found out yesterday that i can get FTTP from BT so might go down this route as i can get 300Mb broadband if i want it. smile
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:21:06
Print Post

Yep, real true fibre broadband, the only thing i am confused about is where i start, how do i change over to BT FTTP, do i just sign up online or do i have to cancel plusnet first, i don't really want to be without service though.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 21:59:05
Print Post

I found out yesterday that i can get FTTP from BT so might go down this route as i can get 300Mb broadband if i want it. smile

That's Great I would agree that BT would be the way to go if they can give you that sort of connection.

Hope it all works out well smile

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:00:30
Print Post

Yeah, i am just confused where i start with moving my connection to them, i will probably go with the infinity 2 option as i don't really need 300Mb speeds. laugh
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:37:14
Print Post

Do you mean Infinity 3 (200mb)

Infinity 1 = 40mb
Infinity 2 = 80mb
Infinity 3 = 200mb
Infinity 4 = 300mb

I would go for the 200mb but I'm not to sure of the packages as I don't want to tease myself, If you did mean Infinity 2 76/80mb then that might not be supplied via FTTP and might only be supplied by FTTC (Cabinet not Premises)

Though I'm a bit unsure due not long moving to an area with FTTC (No FTTP) and I haven't looked into it much as I'm still a Virgin customer (for the time being)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:46:24
Print Post

You can get Infinity 1,2,3 or 4 over FTTP.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:51:49
Print Post

Yep, that is correct as when i put my details in it lets me order infinity 1,2,3,4, the hard bit is picking which one you want, spoilt for choice, how do i go about ordering as i am with Plusnet right now, do i just order and let BT deal with it, or do i have to cancel first?.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Nov-14 23:23:27
Print Post

You just get a MAC from Plusnet, as normal. Submit it with your order.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 23-Nov-14 23:24:12)

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 23:30:12
Print Post

You can get Infinity 1,2,3 or 4 over FTTP.

Oh OK, well that's good.

I look forward to getting it, Eventually laugh

Thanks for information, Will have to start doing a bit of investigating and reading on the newer infrastructures, though until I actually get a connection on one of them I don't think I will truly understand it 100%

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Nov-14 23:42:08
Print Post

Your cabinet will be not fibre enabled, or will be FTTC enabled, or will be FTTP enabled. You cannot choose between FTTC and FTTP.

Some FTTC cabinet areas allow FTTPoD, which is a hugely more expensive way of getting FTTP. I believe FTTPoD is only available at 330/30Mbps from ISPs but I could be wrong.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 23-Nov-14 23:44:35)

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 23-Nov-14 23:46:04
Print Post

Ok, when i asked them they said i would need to cancel my broadband first, glad i asked on here, i will get my MAC requested and get the order in.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:01:59
Print Post

Whoever told you that was wrong. It is a BT Wholesale to BT Wholesale migration. smile

The change of product type is irrelevant.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:05:29
Print Post

Awesome, i just hope i can get infinity installed before xmas, i read somewhere that you have to migrate your phone back to BT first before you can order infinity, then when your phone is back with BT you then have to order broadband with them, so about 6 weeks in total if this is true. frown
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:22:31
Print Post

Well my area is currently HFC, FTTC & FTTPoD so no GEA-FTTP yet, and doubt it will have for a while.

Not sure how FTTC performs here yet as having it installed required part of drive digging up to bury a new drop from BT Ground Chamber out front.

Still awaiting some results from Virgin Media as there has been a bad utilization issue now for the past 7- 8 months and has now had the date delayed until February 2015.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:26:39
Print Post

I was surprised when i find out i could get FTTP as i don't exactly live in the centre of London or anything, just a town which isn't the biggest, i still doubt i can get it until it is actually installed, as it seems like it is a rare technology to be able to get so why my town has it still confuses me, it does seem that not all areas in my town can get it though, i have checked lots of postcodes and all of them say no to FTTP, only mine says yes i have found so fair, might have something to do with me being close to the exchange. smile

Edited by tomxlisa (Mon 24-Nov-14 00:28:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:33:37
Print Post

Center of London is where it is not.

Around 600 areas of the UK with it as an the superfast option now, largest concentration is Cornwall, but cropping up in more and more BDUK project areas, and some of the old commercial plan areas are still going live.

Around 160,000 premises covered, I know of 135,000 so the rest are likely business premises

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:35:06
Print Post

They should handle that side for you, and you will get a letter from the old phone provider saying they have been notified that you want to move and give you 10 days to object (i.e. stops random people slamming your line).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:36:09
Print Post

Get MAC from PlusNet and sign up online

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 00:36:37
Print Post

It is strange though as i have just checked a postcode next to my road and it says they cant get infinity at all, checked another one which isn't far away and they can get infinity but only the infinity 2 option, checked my postcode and it says i can get the fastest speed available.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 24-Nov-14 01:03:18
Print Post

Hang on!

You must check using your Plusnet(?) phone number, not your postcode.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 01:05:18
Print Post

Plusnet only offer FTTC so for them it says i cant get fibre, i am checking the postcode on the BT website.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 24-Nov-14 01:09:45
Print Post

You must not use your postcode!!!

You must use your phone number!

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 01:56:26
Print Post

I have used my postcode and phone number they both say i can get FTTP, i was just saying that there are some postcodes near me that say they cant get FTTP, it seems my road is the only road that can get it, which is strange.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Nov-14 09:17:18
Print Post

Perfectly normal, they don't do a whole village/town but a cluster. So it can just be a cul de sac of 40 homes

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 24-Nov-14 16:22:09
Print Post

Lucky me then, shame i am moving at some point, might have to put that on hold. laugh
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Nov-14 20:07:42
Print Post

Awesome, i just hope i can get infinity installed before xmas,

'Native' FTTP as you will be getting takes a while to get the infrastructure put in, but is well worth the wait .... once in, it all just works, is future proof, and should add a little value to the property also.

Where are you in the country ?

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 25-Nov-14 09:03:45
Print Post

When I ordered Infinity 2 on FTTP there was no option during the order process to add a MAC. I ordered in May and my latest go live date is 17th December. My current PlusNet ADSL is obviously still live and I assume that one the FTTP is live the ADSL will still work in parallel although I m not sure about that. Should I have requested a MAC from PlusNet to avoid the ADSL cancellation charge? I wonder whether it is still possible to do that? However, I cannot afford the ADSL being terminated before the FTTP is working as I work from home.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 25-Nov-14 11:10:53
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

I begin to suspect that BT Retail don't bother with MACs. Perhaps if there is a charge they just absorb it.

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 25-Nov-14 13:15:27
Print Post

But it will be PlusNet who charge me if I cancel my ADSL after 11 years.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 25-Nov-14 14:41:55
Print Post

That's true. Brain fade here.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Wed 26-Nov-14 04:41:05
Print Post

Why has it took BT so long to install your FTTP, that is a 7 month wait and counting, would this be the same for me if i was to order it, if so i don't think i will bother.

Edited by tomxlisa (Wed 26-Nov-14 04:41:47)

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 26-Nov-14 07:41:42
Print Post

BT installed a manifold in a new pavement chamber opposite my house and declared that FTTP was available in March and so I ordered through PlusNet. They told me that there was £4100 of excess construction charges which they would have to pass £3100 on to me. After a couple of attempts to get this waived I gave up and moved on to BT. They accepted the order but to date have not completed the work so that FTTP can be installed. The problem is that our copper is buried in the ground in armoured cable and we have no ducting. BT need to overlay the armoured copper with ducting hence the cost. In my case they also have to cross the road which is a minor issue even though it is a cul-de-sac. A number of people who are served by a pole and 2 people with simpler duct overlays have already been deployed so I do think that my case is extreme.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 27-Nov-14 02:01:17
Print Post

Hopefully this wont be the same case for me, i am guessing like you have said this case is very extreme and doesn't normally happen, you say you ordered FTTP with Plusnet though, i thought they didn't do FTTP as i have to migrate over to BT now to get FTTP, we are moving next year though and this will likely be to a FTTC area and not FTTP, so i am thinking now if i should just stop with Plusnet and wait until we move to get FTTC, otherwise i will be changing to BT just for about 6 months, and then be moved to a FTTC product which i could of got with Plusnet, and i'd rather stay with Plusnet as i have heard BT have rubbish customer support and Plusnet is excellent, with with BT using FTTP i would be paying £25 or so more a month and its not like the internet i have now is slow, i get 20Mb where i am on standard ADSL. smile
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Thu 27-Nov-14 08:09:53
Print Post

PlusNet had an FTTP trial for existing customers back in March. They closed the trial a while back but have now re-opened it. So you could stay with PlusNet and migrate to FTTP until you move.

My problem was the excess construction charges which PlusNet would not swallow, but BT Retail will. Not sure if that is anti-competetive and seems a little strange seeing as PlusNet and BT Retail are both BT owned ISPs but I appear to have to live with it to save 3 grand.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Fri 28-Nov-14 05:24:08
Print Post

I spoke to Plusnet the other day and they said they could not offer me FTTP but you say the trial has opened up again, does this mean i can stay with Plusnet now and get FTTP, from what i can see from a google search the trial still appears to be closed, also how long would it take for me to get FTTP installed in my home from the point of ordering then, what is the typical time it takes?.

Edited by tomxlisa (Fri 28-Nov-14 05:30:31)

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 28-Nov-14 08:31:18
Print Post

The details of the trial are available on the portal.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 29-Nov-14 02:08:46
Print Post

Is this not to existing fibre customers though and when i go on the forum it says the FTTP trial is over, maybe it will be worth calling them again.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 29-Nov-14 08:56:58
Print Post

Believe me the trial is re-opened. And as no one has the option of FTTP or FTTC requesting to joint trial can only be for existing ADSL customers.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 29-Nov-14 09:30:07
Print Post

I have just read this, so i wish you was right but unless i am being dumb i don't think you are.

Conditions for participation in the FTTP Trial

The FTTP Trial is only open to existing Plusnet Customers who are subscribed to a Plusnet Fibre Broadband product.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 29-Nov-14 09:32:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Nov-14 09:59:59
Print Post

Which seems to be an impossible task, unless they are only accepting FTTC customers who are moving into a native FTTP area.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 29-Nov-14 10:04:24
Print Post

I have just asked on the Plusnet forum and someone just said most of them have moved from ADSL connections so maybe it is possible even though in the terms it says not.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 29-Nov-14 10:04:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to