User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:08:34
Print Post

Re: Error - site blocked.

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It'll have to be 1 of the smaller ones (and I doubt resellers). The Big 5, incl. PN, are covered by the Court orders.

I thought Plusnet would be covered by the BT court orders too. But aside from TPB I'm not aware that any infringing sites are blocked on Plusnet.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:10:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

As Oliver says, PN aren't covered by the BT Court Orders. I think Pirate Bay is blocked at source.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:12:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think Pirate Bay is blocked at source.

No, it's blocked by Plusnet, but they claim it is technically infeasible to unblock it. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1171...

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:23:12
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Towards the end of that thread it appears that the problem is that Plusnet traffic may sometimes be routed over BTNet (global peer) and other times over Level3. That would explain why the OP in the other thread got through a few times but not always.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:30:22
Print Post

Towards the end of that thread it appears that the problem is that Plusnet traffic may sometimes be routed over BTNet (global peer) and other times over Level3. That would explain why the OP in the other thread got through a few times but not always.

Point being, that if this was Facebook being blocked by "accident" then Plusnet would have sorted it. However they made a moral judgement call and decided that finding a way to unblock TPB was not worth their time. It sets an interesting precedent for the future.

Oliver.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Fri 28-Nov-14 20:49:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Just seen this on BBC news.

Yes that seems to be what's happened.

Though as the story said these blocks are easy to get around. VPN are advertised a lot these days, and also there seems to be browser addons that are out there as well.

I think their aim is to try and stop the majority of people accessing the sites.

There needs to be a better solution. The film industry I think needs to take a similar position to the music industry and make their own site for people to download films from, for a fee. I mean imagine how much money they would make if they offered films, tv shows etc, not region locked, 1 or 2 months after release.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 21:21:05
Print Post

Don't be silly.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Nov-14 21:39:33
Print Post

Don't be silly.

Not silly at all. If Facebook had become "accidentally" blocked in this manner, there's no question that Plusnet would have sought to unblock it.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 28-Nov-14 21:46:50
Print Post

The key there is "in this manner". It implies Facebook may be the subject in future of blocking Court Orders. A spurious example.

Shall we just leave it? You can invent things forever and I can demonstrate their irrelevance. It helps no-one and demeans us both.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Nov-14 21:51:31
Print Post

The key there is "in this manner". It implies Facebook may be the subject in future of blocking Court Orders.

No, it's nothing to do with a court order as far as Plusnet are concerned, because as far as we know Plusnet has never received a court order to block TPB. Certainly Plusnet staff never said on the Plusnet forum that they were required to block TPB by law, just that it was too much hassle for them to unblock.

The fact remains that Plusnet have a site blocked which they are not required to block by law, and that makes them rather unique.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to