User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:37:39
Print Post

BT Hub does its fortnightly reboot..

[link to this post]

Ok, last night the BT Hub does its fortnightly reboot. I was expecting it as I noticed that it had been connected for 13 days yesterday, and right on time it did it in the early hours of this morning.

I don't mind that so much. But everytime it does it the speed slightly reduces. It's been doing this gradually from day one. I suspect that its cross talk interference, though I'm not sure.

My question is.. if I was to swap the HH5 for this openreach modem + router;

1. Will these fortnightly reboots stop? and

2. Will I recover any speed by doing this?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:49:48
Print Post

Re: BT Hub does its fortnightly reboot..

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

I have a standard modem and a Billion 7800 router. I don't believe it has ever rebooted of it's own accord and speed is usually pretty consistent (very occasionally the line goes interleaved for a month and then goes back to fastpath - but that is some sort of DLM issue).

Whether you recover speed will depend on what is really causing the speed reductions. It is possible the modem might hold a slightly better sync (my modem I am sure was a couple of meg faster than the HH5 on connection). But, I wouldn't hold my breath for any miracle increase.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 10:52:52
Print Post

I've been looking at the stats in the HH5 and this bit is interesting;

6. Data rate: 20000 / 64902
7. Maximum data rate: 21248 / 75209
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.5
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 18.1
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 18.1

What could be causing the lower data rate being at 64902, while the max data rate is 75209 ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 07-Jan-15 11:46:08
Print Post

The speed that the hub report as "max" rate may not be correct/accurate and actual data rate will always sync lower than this.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie
VirginMedia 152/12 - BQM - SpeedTest - It's The Final Countdown!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Jan-15 11:47:26
Print Post

Possibly Interleaving, which takes a lot of bandwidth on FTTC, unlike on ADSLx. 10Mbps is common, along with an initial 8ms step up in latency.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 11:50:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

How would I get Interleaving off?

I'm also still working on getting the ringer fault fixed too.. i.e. the phone constantly rings one long ring if a call comes in.

I'm just gathering information before I make that call as its not a regular issue they like to ask a lot of questions before doing anything.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Jan-15 11:56:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
How would I get Interleaving off?
By fixing the ringer fault.
I'm also still working on getting the ringer fault fixed too.. i.e. the phone constantly rings one long ring if a call comes in.

I'm just gathering information before I make that call as its not a regular issue they like to ask a lot of questions before doing anything.
When did this start, and do you have an OR VDSL2 filter plate on the master or was it a self-install with dangly filters?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Jan-15 12:24:08
Print Post

I believe these reboots to be caused by the BTAGENT app in the Homehub. One way to prevent it happening is to get an unlocked OR modem, a HG612 preferably, so you can stop the app running. There's no need to replace the Homehub too as it will happily run plugged into the OR modem.

As to whether your speed will increase, that may be something to do with the phone line issue you have causing odd ringing. This sounds like some wires are crossed in your extension wiring.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User bowdon
(member) Wed 07-Jan-15 12:52:59
Print Post

The ringer issue originally started when I was on Be and got moved to Sky ISP. It started literally after my connection dropped from one isp to the other. I'm not sure what Sky or the engineer did but that's when the ringer issue happened.

When I was with Sky for a few months, I did call up them and at one point an engineer at the exchanged phoned my house and said he knew what the problem was, but he had to order a part and Sky had to approve it. Then later in the day, the line went down and the ringer rang correctly. He called back and said he found a part already in the exchange that he'd used. So I thought that was the end of it. Then soon after the line went completely dead, and I had to wait 2 weeks before anything was done about it. Then eventually had an openreach engineer come out and he got the line up and running (I was on adsl2+ btw at this point). But the ringer fault had re-appeared. He said he couldnt go in to the exchange. But to call up BT and report a voice line fault and say its in the exchange. He said the current from the exchange is malfunctioning and sending a burst down the line. This guy was very knowledgable about this stuff. He was an 'old hand' at this.

I had thought at this point that moving from Sky to BT Infinity would have fixed the problem. Btw, I was never with either Be or Sky for my phone. I had been with TalkTalk. At the time I ordered BT Infinity I also transferred my phone line to BT also.

Unfortunately even after moving to BT for both my broadband and voice phone, the ringer problem as still persisted still.

The only issue that I'm cautious about is I've noticed people say DON'T mention broadband or they will send a broadband engineer. But what if they ask me if I have broadband? Do I lie and say no? Surely they would know I have their Infinity product?

At the moment I'm trying to think of the wording I'd use so as not to mention broadband.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 07-Jan-15 13:21:07
Print Post

Can't you just call 151 and report a phone fault. If they ask, say it's nothing to do with broadband...?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jan-15 14:52:39
Print Post

The only issue that I'm cautious about is I've noticed people say DON'T mention broadband or they will send a broadband engineer.
That not it's point. It's that voice faults have higher priority than BB, by legislation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Jan-15 09:30:31
Print Post

I think the timing of the fault is of coincidence. What I suspect you have is an intermittent rectified loop fault on {most likely} your internal wiring or equipment.

Standard User bowdon
(member) Thu 08-Jan-15 11:29:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Its not the internal wiring as the openreach guy plugged his meter directly in to the master socket of the house and called the phone line and his meter detected (I think it even made a constant sound) the voltage on the line. He said it was from the exchange as that controls the voltage of the ring.

Its just an odd fault to report as I'm thinking these 'script helpers' won't recognise the fault when hearing it, and do their line test, which will show nothing, then it'll be up to me to force the issue for them to send out a voice engineer out.

Standard User bowdon
(member) Fri 16-Jan-15 11:07:47
Print Post

Just to update you guys on my situation. I called up BT on a Monday and requested a voice engineer. I explained a little about what the problem was to them on the phone (not mentioning broadband), and they booked an engineer appointment for Wednesday. On Monday night my router rebooted with these stats;

6. Data rate: 20000 / 73446
7. Maximum data rate: 21696 / 73468
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation: 20.9 / 18.1
10. Signal attenuation: 20.7 / 18.1

The speed went from 63mb up to 71mb. But the one long ring on the phone still happened when someone called me. So on Wednesday the phone rang and the engineer was at the exchange and asked had the problem been fixed. I said no, the phone was still giving a constant ring. He said that he'd have a look around the exchange and see if he could see anything wrong. If he couldnt then he'd come to the house in 30 minutes.

About an hour later the phone rang normally i.e. "ring ring". Then I picked it up and he said did that work? I said yes, and asked what the issue was. He went in to some technical jargon about it being a fault in the exchange and that he had to make a call to an exchange in London. I didnt really understand what he was meaning, but he did a line test to check things were ok, and they were. So problem solved.

Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 10:42:55
Print Post

I guess interleaving went on again last night.

When I called up for that fault, which is now fixed, before the fault was even fixed the speed shot up that night. So I am wondering if they manually took interleaving off. Anyways it seems to be back on it seems. A shame really.. Hopefully its just because the weather is bad.

As a chronology these are the stats before I reported the fault on Monday 12th of January;

6. Data rate: 20000 / 64902
7. Maximum data rate: 21248 / 75209
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.5
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 18.1
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 18.1

The router rebooted on that Monday night and Tuesday morning the stats were this;

6. Data rate: 20000 / 73431
7. Maximum data rate: 21271 / 77151
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 18.0
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 18.0

And after a reboot to update the firmware on Thursday or Friday the router held good line stats. Then this morning it rebooted and these are my current line stats;

6. Data rate: 20000 / 64954
7. Maximum data rate: 21647 / 74373
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 20.7 / 18.0
10. Signal attenuation: 20.5 / 17.9

Edited by bowdon (Mon 19-Jan-15 11:19:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Jan-15 12:20:13
Print Post

As a side issue, your down upstream attenuation was present, disappeared for a bit, and has now returned.

Edited as per MHC's correction.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 19-Jan-15 13:46:06)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 19-Jan-15 13:13:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As a side issue, your downstream attenuation was present, disappeared for a bit, and has now returned.

Downstream or Upstream? I believe you are referring to the latter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 13:13:16
Print Post

I think thats the new firmware that got installed finally last thursday. I noticed that suddenly its displaying the full stats.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 13:26:00
Print Post

That happened to me following a recent firmware update on my HH5 (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 11/01/15). Rather interestingly, the first perceptible change was an approximately 2mbps increase in data rate (to about 59mbps) and my fastest ever speed test (about 55mbps). The gap between max and data rate was only about 1mbps at that point (as it always had been).

Sadly, it was not to last. After 2 disconnections in about 24 hours, interleaving was slapped on and I've now got a max speed of 59.7mbps, with with a data rate of 51.5mbps.

The net effect of all this is I'm now about 4-5mbps down on speed, although the link is now more stable. It used to drop out about once a day. Now it's been up for approaching a week.

nb. I should add that upstream improved after the firmware update and, unlike the downstream, has remained that way although the improvement is modest with upstream speed tests going from a little over 9mbps to a little over 10mbps.

Edited by TheEulerID (Mon 19-Jan-15 13:28:32)

Standard User bowdon
(member) Mon 19-Jan-15 13:29:36
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Its interesting as I've never had any disconnections via interference. It's always been those stupid remote reboots every fortnight with BT company messing about with things.

I do sometimes wonder if these weekly reboots and remote management activities cause problems with the line.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 19-Jan-15 13:46:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks. Fixed.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.5/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User crule
(newbie) Thu 22-Jan-15 10:13:45
Print Post

My HH4 used to re-boot on a 4 week cycle. It has now moved to a 14day cycle without any apparent firmware change. which leads me to assume that either the firmware is being updated without a version number change or the reboot command is issued externally.
anyone any thoughts?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 11:18:54
Print Post

[re: crule] [link to this post]

I've only observed a 14 day reboot cycle on my relative's HH4. That's going back about 18 months.

Oliver.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 22-Jan-15 13:41:40
Print Post

[re: crule] [link to this post]

The Hub reboots by internal command (I have tested exhaustively and conclusively on several units since around March 2014). I've only ever seen a 14 day cycle.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Thu 22-Jan-15 15:39:52
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

It would be good if we could stop it rebooting that much. My old netgear dg834gt with custom firmware never rebooted like this. Your right though, the amount of remote commands that seem to be operating I sometimes wonder if BT arent making their network more unstable than it could be, sending all these commands from the center out to everyone.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Jan-15 20:37:56
Print Post

Your right though, the amount of remote commands that seem to be operating I sometimes wonder if BT arent making their network more unstable than it could be, sending all these commands from the center out to everyone.

vimto_girl just stated these aren't remote commands.

Oliver.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Fri 23-Jan-15 00:05:38
Print Post

Sorry, I meant the router itself triggers the reboot (you can put the Hub on the moon, power it up, and it would still reboot every 14 days).

This must be by design (of the HW manufacturer or BT), presumably they think it a good idea to clear the cobwebs at the expense of a reboot.

The reboots can't make BT's network unstable, nor can remote management sessions which in my testing do not automatically trigger a reboot on the Hub. If you're worried DLM may incorrectly interpret the 14 day reboots and intervene (I highly doubt it myself) then you can always use an external modem. If you don't like the router itself rebooting, then the only solution I know of is to use your own unfortunately.
Standard User bowdon
(member) Fri 23-Jan-15 10:17:09
Print Post

Oh right. I was thinking that the OpenRG command that makes the reboot was triggered by a remote command, and that people who use the Hubs on other ISP's don't get the reboot?

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Fri 23-Jan-15 20:02:35
Print Post

Not the case.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sat 24-Jan-15 03:52:15
Print Post

Well I got the following this morning and yes just under the 14 days, been a while since we have had the connection up for the full 2 weeks due to faulty copper wires that BT refuses to replace.
(WAN LOGS)
05:16:33, 23 Jan. (1068747.900000) PPPoA is down after 17810 minutes uptime [Disconnected]
We never lost sync to the exchange just the connection to BT.
(Helpdesk Section)
5. ADSL uptime: 13 days, 07:19:41

(Connection Information)
Connection time: 0 days, 22:29:57
So this could be done by either the HH4 automatically or within the exchange by BT or the ISP remotely to make the HH4 as stable as possible.

But yeah everything needs to be rebooted now and then, but I think every 2 weeks is a bit harsh.

Paul
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Jan-15 12:03:05
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The message you would see is "OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command" or something similar.

Oliver.
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Sun 25-Jan-15 02:31:28
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
The message you would see is "OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command" or something similar.

Nope I haven't seen any of those at all, what I always get when it reaches about 2 weeks is lines like the following (from bottom upwards):
05:17:09, 23 Jan. (1068783.850000) CHAP Receive Challenge
05:17:09, 23 Jan. (1068783.830000) Starting CHAP authentication with peer
05:17:09, 23 Jan. (1068783.830000) PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
05:17:09, 23 Jan. (1068783.830000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
05:17:09, 23 Jan. (1068783.770000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
05:17:09, 23 Jan. (1068783.750000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
05:17:06, 23 Jan. (1068780.770000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
05:17:06, 23 Jan. (1068780.750000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
05:17:06, 23 Jan. (1068780.750000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration Reject
05:17:06, 23 Jan. (1068780.600000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
05:16:40, 23 Jan. (1068753.970000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
05:16:38, 23 Jan. (1068751.970000) CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
05:16:38, 23 Jan. (1068751.960000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
05:16:36, 23 Jan. (1068750.620000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 4 VALUE CHANGE
05:16:33, 23 Jan. (1068747.900000) PPPoA is down after 17810 minutes uptime [Disconnected]
23:41:33, 22 Jan. (1048647.070000) Admin login successful by 192.168.2.72 on HTTP
The Admin login was me due to slow speed where I just checked the logs.

Actually that's a lie, I just saw some of those IPC lines in the System Logs:
02:26:35, 07 Jan. ( 40.460000) The system is UP!
02:25:32, 07 Jan. (1262312.660000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
02:25:32, 07 Jan. (1262312.660000) OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command
02:25:27, 07 Jan. (1262307.660000) OpenRG will go down for reboot in 5 seconds
11:47:22, 23 Dec. ( 38.390000) The system is UP!
11:46:22, 23 Dec. (1211146.960000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
11:46:22, 23 Dec. (1211146.960000) OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command
11:46:17, 23 Dec. (1211141.960000) OpenRG will go down for reboot in 5 seconds
And that was the latest one that we have in the logs, and if you do the maths you will see 14 days between remote reboots.

And like I have said we don't loose sync to the exchange, but we do loose connection to the BT Network.
It is strange that we have never had a stable connection to BT's Network for longer than 2 weeks where as with our last ISP (Zen) we hardly had any reconnects and would be connected up for several months, but the current issues are probably down to all the bad weather we are having lately.

The only time we have lost connection and the HH4 reboots was when I asked for our SNR to be reset back to 6.0 dB due to the rain causes our SNR to rise and rise until it just fails to sync. BT are aware of this and are happy to reset our SNR and is probably why our PCP cabinet is currently being re-installed.

Paul
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 14:04:37
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
And that was the latest one that we have in the logs, and if you do the maths you will see 14 days between remote reboots.

Apparently, it's not a remote reboot, but a local one.

And like I have said we don't loose sync to the exchange, but we do loose connection to the BT Network.

The IPC reboot command reboots the router, so you must be losing sync at that point.

Oliver.
Standard User edwincluck
(learned) Sun 25-Jan-15 19:10:31
Print Post

IPC stands for Inter-Process Communication. The communication is a message sent from one process to another. It suggests here a message somehow sent from the DSL hardware driver to the Linux kernel requesting that reboot. Though not clear why the driver should need to request a reboot. Poor system design, maybe? Poor coding meaning a reboot is the only way to get the device back to a trusted state; periodically clearing the variables, flushing the buffers and whatnot from the previous sync? Just speculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communica...

Edited by edwincluck (Sun 25-Jan-15 19:16:04)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 25-Jan-15 19:33:54
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

To force the IP Profile to update as a result of a resync?

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Jan-15 21:01:16
Print Post

My old home hub literally never rebooted, so when I got my new one this 14 day behaviour bothered me. I honestly assumed my hub was faulty - apparently not, it's a thing.

The only reason I can think they are doing this is because the new hubs aren't stable enough to run for months on end without a reboot. It has made me seriously dislike the HomeHub.

As far as I can tell it does it with the modem and without the modem.
The only solution would be to use the modem and your own router (something I am probably going to do).
Standard User PaulKirby
(member) Mon 26-Jan-15 09:19:38
Print Post

Apparently, it's not a remote reboot, but a local one.
Agreed.

The IPC reboot command reboots the router, so you must be losing sync at that point.
Sorry that comment was for the first lot of logs, I added the second log in after I wrote the rest of the post.
But yes, those IPC Reboots do seem to loose sync due to rebooting the entire device.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to