User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Jan-15 00:50:32
Print Post

Re: Upload issues

[re: mayavirupa333] [link to this post]

But I contracted to BT on the basis of being sold this ratio
FALSE. Nowhere has BT sold you a ratio. It has sold you two "up to" speeds. It is yourself that is falsely attempting to extend 40/10 to being the ratio between the two speeds you might observe with any connection.
Mr Saffron is no doubt correct to say the ratios are meaningless
Spot on. Now you're learning.
I hope to report back in a week or two that it has been further doubled!
And likewise I'd like to report back that I've won the lottery, although that would mean that I first had to buy a ticket which I won't be doing any time soon or ever.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 01:20:02
Print Post

It isn't a ratio. If it were, it would be written 40:10, not 40/10.

Anyway, you weren't sold a 40/10 product. BT doesn't offer one. Nor can I find any mention of upload speeds in their product descriptions.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 11-Jan-15 01:33:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by mayavirupa333:
Two reasons:

1) The DSL checker says max clean 24 Down and 4.5 Up. I have had stable 30 Down for a couple of weeks so if this same “higher than expected performance” is applied to the Up, then it seems to my simple brain that 5.5+ is a fair expectation.

FALSE.

Look at where the upstream and downstream blocks are in te spectrum. As attenuation increase it will affect the higher part of the spectrum, gradually moving towards the low end. So, as you loose Up2 completely, you will start to loose Dn2 with very little effect on Up1 initially. Then as D2 is eaten away looses to Up1 will start to occur.

Conversely, if you are getting full use of Up1 and Dn is partly available, improving the line will/may make additional Dn1 frequencies available but not Up2 unless the changes are significantly great.

And you are being sold an "up to 40/up to 10" connection with no direct link between the two values. If for example there were 4 tones used for down, then one for up, followed by 4 down, 1 up &c &c then you might expect something close to 4:1 however it is not. Do a few searches and start reading about Profiles and Band Plans - Profile 17a and BandPlan998.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Jan-15 01:48:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Anyway, you weren't sold a 40/10 product. BT doesn't offer one. Nor can I find any mention of upload speeds in their product descriptions.
I have a 40/10 product with Sky, I believe it's the original 40/2 product and BT increased the uploads to 40/10. Could be wrong here though.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Jan-15 02:54:24
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

I have a 40/10 product with Sky, I believe it's the original 40/2 product and BT increased the uploads to 40/10. Could be wrong here though.

Actually Robert is right. For if you check BT's order page they offer three Infinity products (ignoring variations to the telephone side of any packages). One 38 Mbps package with a 20GB/month usage limit and an unlimited 38 Mbps and 76 Mbps package but nowhere on their main offer or more details or FAQ pages do they mention upload speeds and you have to go digging for it. Good luck finding it though smile. In other words, it is not a significant pert of the offer as far as BT is concerned and any estimates when you feed in your telephone number, are just that, estimates.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Jan-15 09:34:50
Print Post

That would be because with the wiring in the stat it was 22/1 was the maximum possible at the time

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 13:30:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Openreach still has three products.
Up to 40Mbit/s downstream and up to 2Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 01/07/2009 82.80
Up to 40Mbit/s downstream and up to 10Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 01/09/2011 88.80
Up to 80Mbit/s downstream and up to 20Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 10/04/2012 119.40
The first two both existed from the start. The dates are the operative ones for the prices.

Edit - Sky offer 38Mbps and 76Mbps, just like BT. Only the 76Mbps one appears to mention the upstream speed, at least on this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Jan-15 13:36:53)

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sun 11-Jan-15 14:06:55
Print Post

Huh? BT Infinity 1 at the time of writing is a "40/10" product. Sales agents will tell you this, broadband comparison and info sites are supplied this info by BT, and the online account portal for a customer confirms these download and upload 'up to' speeds in big writing. A BT mod also confirmed to the poster he was on this package speed.

What exactly do you think BT offer and what do you think the poster was sold? What's your source if you couldn't find the info on the BT website?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Jan-15 14:23:30
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4382143-upload...

Please show me where on the BT website any mention of "up to 40Mbps" is made, and where any mention of the upstream speed is made.

I do not dispute the Openreach product in use, but BT do not advertise an "up to 40Mbps" product. Very few ISPs do, and the ones that do are flouting Ofcom regulations.

Don't forget we start with the OP's claim that he bought a 40/10 product from BT. I cannot find it. If you can, on the BT website, that would be helpful.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sun 11-Jan-15 14:40:53
Print Post

That's OK, if you don't dispute that the BT package has a maximum sync of 40/10, that's the end of the matter for me.

That's obviously what the poster meant, and the poster's point clearly revolved around sync speeds and his misunderstanding of a fixed ratio between upload and download.

I don't have to play silly esoteric games about the difference between a 40:10 ratio and a 38:9.5 ratio. It's just pathetic really.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to