User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-15 14:24:12
Print Post

BT are a joke avoid like the plague

[link to this post]

Anyone who ever uses BT must be mad i have had nothing but problems and i only wanted an home move, 3 weeks and 3 orders and still nothing just keep telling me a load of hold bull on phone.

I really think none of them have a clue what they are doing.

Looking at this site below looks like i am not the only one having problems with BT

Based on 58117 customer ratings
http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/bt/re...

Edited by samsonsky (Thu 05-Mar-15 16:01:06)

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Fri 06-Mar-15 07:13:24
Print Post

Re: BT are a joke avoid like the plague

[re: samsonsky] [link to this post]

No problems here smile
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Fri 06-Mar-15 08:09:20
Print Post

so i assume you are on Virgin or Wireless then !!!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Fri 06-Mar-15 09:31:17
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

No i have infinity 2 fibre
Standard User DooGie
(committed) Fri 06-Mar-15 21:45:04
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

My connection is also fine.

samsonsky have you checked your setup ? There are loads of BT users who have very few problems.

Freeserve > Pipex > ADSL24 > COMS > BT Infinity 2
Standard User ironman12345
(newbie) Sat 07-Mar-15 00:54:14
Print Post

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

I have BT Infinity 2 [FTTC] and my connection has been stable for a long time at 74Mbps down 17Mbps up.
The customer service at BT does need some sorting out, and might be better if offshore was dropped, but who knows.
I use an old [first issue] OR modem and an HH3 router at this time as imo the HH5 needs sorting out too, but that depends as lots of BT users find it ok.
It might be a PC setting that the OP needs to look at, but imo BT are ok apart from the bad CS.
Standard User pcologist
(learned) Sat 07-Mar-15 07:37:44
Print Post

I have used BT broadband for a lot of years now and I have no complaints. The service they give 99% of the time it is rock solid. There is opportunity for their helpline to improve as the heavy accents are sometimes difficult to understand .....but I am an old codger who is hard of hearing any way! I find them to be patient and polite on the odd times I have had to contact them. Cost wise BT is not the cheapest but I have had in the past tried other providers and found BT to be a very reliable provider. I am a satisfied customer.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sat 07-Mar-15 10:03:33
Print Post

Is your problem the transfer process. Or, Infinity2
From post appears to be transfer, where BT do appear to have problems. Is there capacity at the new property.
Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sat 07-Mar-15 10:09:40
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

Has i said i only wanted an house move and 3 times they screwed it all up. i ave now made a complaint.

And had to move to a new provider which don't offer fibre my speeds are 80Mbps down and 20Mbps and now with new provider it will 17Mbps and 1 or 2Mbps upload
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 10:24:09
Print Post

Is the new location FTTP rather than FTTC? From this latest post it sounds as if that might be the problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sat 07-Mar-15 10:28:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

New one i will just have adsl no fibre at all because BT are the only ones that do it.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-Mar-15 10:51:57
Print Post

It's not that simple.

What does the dslchecker say for your phone number? www.dslchecker.bt.com

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 11:29:57
Print Post

Most ISPs do FTTC. You are almost certainly talking about FTTP where only BT routinely offer it, though there others that will provide it. The result from BatBoy's link will tell us.

Which ISP did you go with?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sat 07-Mar-15 11:43:09
Print Post

I had to go back to Sky not that i wanted to, because i wanted to stay on fibre but all the hassle with BT i had no choice. I will never use BT again now.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 11:49:37
Print Post

So BatBoy's link won't work. The full address option in it will though, (don't use the Postcode option), and will show FTTP. That is delivered in a completely different way at your end to FTTC which is why it got messy.

With a bit of patience you would probably have got it, but without seeing the detail of what BT told you it's impossible to know.

You may be able to upgrade to it when your Sky contract gets to the end of the minimum term.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 07-Mar-15 12:00:05
Print Post

Use the full address checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User Ragnarok
(member) Sat 07-Mar-15 12:58:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Some people must get really unlucky with BT or something.

When I had issues switching over I though I'd ring them to tomorrow, I had a shock when they rung me and the Indian lady went out of her way to make sure the next attempted transfer went smoothly.

I had no issues upgrading to infinity a month later.

I had no problems with retentions getting an improved deal in return for a 12 month contract. paying 12 months line rental up front, and adding bt privacy all in one go.

Would be nice for my line to go a bit faster but is seems to be stuck on an 8db noise margin or banded at 67mbps. it's probably not worth the bother though.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sat 07-Mar-15 13:18:51
Print Post

sky offer fibre so why did you not upgragde and get sky fibre -- or will sky not offer itt to you
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 13:57:51
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

They don't offer FTTP so far as I know. That's why BatBoy and I are asking the OP to use the checker, to confirm that's what he would get.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 13:58:40
Print Post

[re: Ragnarok] [link to this post]

FTTP, if that's what he can get, is a completely different kettle of onions from FTTC.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Mar-15 14:06:10
Print Post

We're kind of shooting in the dark until the OP gives the results of the dslchecker.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 07-Mar-15 14:34:41
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Completely.

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sat 07-Mar-15 23:41:35
Print Post

Results below

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Mar-15 00:08:41
Print Post

Is that using the full address, or just the postcode? According to it BT couldn't have given you fibre either. Unless the cabinet is full, but it usually says something about that.

There can be database errors. Can you tell us the new exchange please, so we can check another way?

Uh oh!
As well as that, what did the line above the table those estimates were in say? Did in have something like "Address xxxxx on cabinet nn", or did it just say the exchange with no mention of cabinet?

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 08-Mar-15 00:17:42)

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 00:17:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is that using the full address, or just the postcode? According to it BT couldn't have given you fibre either. Unless the cabinet is full, but it usually says something about that.

There can be database errors. Can you tell us the new exchange please, so we can check another way?

Uh oh!
As well as that, what did the line above the table those estimates were in say? Did in have something like "Address xxxxx on cabinet nn"?

Checked with post code the area is callington cornwall
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Mar-15 00:19:48
Print Post

The postcode checker is not reliable. You must use the full address as we don't expect your phone number t be recognised.

Also see the question just edited into my previous post about cabinet number info smile.

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 00:22:20
Print Post

Done with address results below

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Mar-15 01:22:36
Print Post

There you go smile. As I suggested.

FTTP instead of FTTC. FTTP is fibre all the way to the premises, so you always get the full connection speed that you signed up for. Not affected by your distance from the cabinet like FTTC.

Two things that may not be perfect. It doesn't guarantee no congestion, and it doesn't guarantee that Openreach won't want an extra payment for installing it. It is "Subject to survey", but is normally the same as FTTC.

That will be where the messing around in BT came from, as I doubt if they have had many, if any, house moves from FTTC to FTTP.

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 01:25:52
Print Post

There you go smile. As I suggested.

FTTP instead of FTTC. FTTP is fibre all the way to the premises, so you always get the full connection speed that you signed up for. Not affected by your distance from the cabinet like FTTC.

Two things that may not be perfect. It doesn't guarantee no congestion, and it doesn't guarantee that Openreach won't want an extra payment for installing it. It is "Subject to survey", but is normally the same as FTTC.

That will be where the messing around in BT came from, as I doubt if they have had many, if any, house moves from FTTC to FTTP.

Hi thanks for all the info, but to late now i have joined sky and will never go back to BT after all this messing around.

Do you know what upload speed i will get with sky adsl please
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Mar-15 01:29:54
Print Post

No, sorry.

Re BT, Plusnet do have FTTP trials ongoing, so maybe at the end of your Sky contract you will be able to get it from them.

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 01:31:04
Print Post

Ok thanks very much for the help
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-Mar-15 08:17:56
Print Post

As Sky have LLU at that exchange, you should get 16Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up no problem.

Which is a bit less than 300Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up you can get with BT smile

Standard User samsonsky
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 10:46:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
As Sky have LLU at that exchange, you should get 16Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up no problem.

Which is a bit less than 300Mb/s down and 20 Mb/s up you can get with BT smile

Yes true but i wont have to bother with BT again which is a bonus.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Mar-15 18:28:34
Print Post

Yes true but i wont have to bother with BT again which is a bonus
Your choice of course but remember that it is still BT that connects your home to the Sky DSLAM.

Many readers of this forum would give their eye teeth for an FTTP connection and that due to the individual cabling required this often takes more than three weeks to be installed.
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Sun 08-Mar-15 20:12:59
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
Yes true but i wont have to bother with BT again which is a bonus
Your choice of course but remember that it is still BT that connects your home to the Sky DSLAM.

Many readers of this forum would give their eye teeth for an FTTP connection and that due to the individual cabling required this often takes more than three weeks to be installed.

You only need it if you download a lot which i never do. And you don't really notice the browsing any faster or gaming.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Mar-15 21:00:14
Print Post

Fair comment although I'm surprised that you have already experienced FTTP. I was under the impression that latency and jitter on both FTTC and FTTP were better than that normally experienced on ADSL2+
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 08-Mar-15 21:08:14
Print Post

TBH, openreach FTTP installation process is so full of holes, if there is any sort of difficulty or issue it's likely to take a considerable length of time to resolve.
If you don't need the bandwidth and can get a good enough connection, your probably 'safer' with a bog standard ADSL service.
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Sun 08-Mar-15 21:31:49
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I was with sky once before and had no problems at all, plus there customer service is 100% better than BT
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Mar-15 23:12:48
Print Post

You've never had an FTTP installation with Sky. They don't do it. For exactly the reasons Ribble just gave. It's difficult for the ISP.

But you're not listening.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Sun 08-Mar-15 23:23:28
Print Post

You've never had an FTTP installation with Sky. They don't do it. For exactly the reasons Ribble just gave. It's difficult for the ISP.

But you're not listening.

No only had adsl with sky in the past never said i had FTTP with them
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Mar-15 00:37:19
Print Post

No only had adsl with sky in the past never said I had FTTP with them
Unlikely. Sky don't offer FTTP. Are you perhaps confusing FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) with FTTP (Fibre To The Premises)?

Since you say you don't need what FTTP has to offer why didn't you go for ADSL2+ with BT which would have avoided all of your problems and got you up and running within days.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 00:55:37
Print Post

Because BT seem to have had several problems doing a house move from (I presume) FTTC to FTTP, which we would expect to be fraught but he doesn't know about, he doesn't want BT.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 01:10:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MCM:
No only had adsl with sky in the past never said I had FTTP with them
Unlikely. Sky don't offer FTTP. Are you perhaps confusing FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) with FTTP (Fibre To The Premises)?

Since you say you don't need what FTTP has to offer why didn't you go for ADSL2+ with BT which would have avoided all of your problems and got you up and running within days.

Hi because BT messed me about 3 times so had enough of them.
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 01:27:48
Print Post

I just logged in BT site and my order i canceled last week, is telling it will be activated on the 13th how can it be if i have canceled it. and put an order in with sky.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 02:00:41
Print Post

Perhaps you didn't cancel it?

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 02:05:55
Print Post

Perhaps you didn't cancel it?

loll i think you mean BT messed up once again. I 100% canceled the order and put a complaint in.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 02:21:24
Print Post

Did you cancel in writing, or do you have confirmation that you cancelled?

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Mar-15 08:49:18
Print Post

Hi because BT messed me about 3 times so had enough of them.

I didn't ask why you didn't go with BT after your having a problem in their iinstalling FTTP taking more than a few days, but rather, why didn't you order BT ADSL 2+ from the start since you say you have little or no interest in having an FTTP connection. Seems to me to be quite illogical but then it's your choice but hardly reason for your moan and comments about BT who incidentally will be providing the means for you to connect to Sky.
Standard User 961a
(newbie) Mon 09-Mar-15 10:47:19
Print Post

What's the betting you end up with nothing from either
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 10:50:16
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 961a:
What's the betting you end up with nothing from either

Yes you could be right, i just spoke to BT they have not canceled my order and openreach are coming out friday to see if fibre can be installed.

So decided to let them carry on and let sky carry on too.
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Mon 09-Mar-15 10:51:43
Print Post

Keep us updated on what happens smile
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 10:53:15
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

Ok will do.
Standard User PS123
(newbie) Mon 09-Mar-15 11:27:16
Print Post

Hi there

I feel your pain. Nothing but problems with BT broadband. I hope that they have finally fixed them. But BT are beyond a joke and I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone.

I'm just waiting for my 12 month contract to expire before I move to someone else.

Hope it all gets sorted for you.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:07:50
Print Post

I think there's 2 visits for an FTTP installation.

But you probably know that already.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:33:11
Print Post

I think there's 2 visits for an FTTP installation.

But you probably know that already.

Yes they do they did 2 at this house and put line from the pole. but new house does not have any poles so not sure what they do.
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:34:04
Print Post

[re: PS123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PS123:
Hi there

I feel your pain. Nothing but problems with BT broadband. I hope that they have finally fixed them. But BT are beyond a joke and I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone.

I'm just waiting for my 12 month contract to expire before I move to someone else.

Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Thanks very much i will keep this thread updated with what happens.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:37:48
Print Post

If suitable openreach ducting is carrying the copper phone line to a property then run a small tube inside that to deliver the fibre.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:45:11
Print Post

So you are on FTTP already smile. Lucky Cornwall tongue.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:53:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If suitable openreach ducting is carrying the copper phone line to a property then run a small tube inside that to deliver the fibre.

Will find out friday if they turn up.
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:54:15
Print Post

So you are on FTTP already smile. Lucky Cornwall tongue.

Yes cornwall have had it a while now.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:57:27
Print Post

Parts of Cornwall - only saying this to avoid someone thinking that all of Cornwall has access to FTTP as its superfast option.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:57:30
Print Post

Yes, I believe he has FTTP at his old house and wants to move to a new house, but BT only offered him ADSL. So he signed up with Sky but in the meantime BT have realised they can offer FTTP so Openreach are going ahead with the install.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:02:43
Print Post

Yes, I believe he has FTTP at his old house and wants to move to a new house, but BT only offered him ADSL. So he signed up with Sky but in the meantime BT have realised they can offer FTTP so Openreach are going ahead with the install.

Yes i have FTTP at my old house, and they told me the new house as fibre to the property and the order has been canceled 3 times. they never offered me ADSL.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:08:37
Print Post

Pity you didn't say that in the first post.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:13:22
Print Post

Pity you didn't say that in the first post.

Never really thought to say what internet i had now to be honest. but i don't have any problem the internet only there customer service which is rubbish.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:24:09
Print Post

Whilst the comms I am sure could be better, the FTTP at new property does complicate things and with just 170,000 premises in the UK like this, the chance that the people you talk to have dealt with a move to a FTTP property are fairly slight.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:27:41
Print Post

Whilst the comms I am sure could be better, the FTTP at new property does complicate things and with just 170,000 premises in the UK like this, the chance that the people you talk to have dealt with a move to a FTTP property are fairly slight.

Yes i agree but surely BT should hire and train staff who know what they are doing. And have a department just for this.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:35:17
Print Post

There is apparently a FTTP sales team on 0800 587 4787

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:37:48
Print Post

There is apparently a FTTP sales team on 0800 587 4787

Well if that's who i have spoken to they don't know much, and why cancel my order 3 times makes no sense.

Edited by samsonsky (Mon 09-Mar-15 13:38:21)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:47:50
Print Post

I doubt you've spoken to them. Did you mention FTTP to anyone? The order has probably been cancelled because FTTC was ordered.

Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 13:49:37
Print Post

I doubt you've spoken to them. Did you mention FTTP to anyone? The order has probably been cancelled because FTTC was ordered.

They put me through to a specialist team for fibre, but not sure what's so special about them.
Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 14:08:58
Print Post

I suggest that knowing two ISPs are about to undertake work and not deciding to stop one of them may eventually involve a large bill from one or the other especially if a contract has been entered into with both
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 14:25:37
Print Post

I suggest that knowing two ISPs are about to undertake work and not deciding to stop one of them may eventually involve a large bill from one or the other especially if a contract has been entered into with both

I have spoken to BT today who said having sky setup will not harm my order with them.

I have 14 days to cancel sky if i need to, but will wait until friday to see what openreach say to me.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 14:37:02
Print Post

Assuming BT goes through, will your phone remain through copper or will it be through the fibre?

When is the Sky installation date?

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 14:58:24
Print Post

Assuming BT goes through, will your phone remain through copper or will it be through the fibre?

When is the Sky installation date?

I asked BT this they said copper. sky is meant to go live on the 20th
Standard User samsonsky
(learned) Mon 09-Mar-15 15:04:17
Print Post

PS i have just logged in again on BT site and can't find any order now. But last night it was showing so not sure what's going on.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Mar-15 15:57:55
Print Post

If the voice was progressing on copper, then the subsequent MPF voice/ADSL2+ order from Sky will probably have overridden this and cancelled the voice order, and as a side effect the FTTP.

To be expected really.

Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Mon 09-Mar-15 16:00:41
Print Post

If the voice was progressing on copper, then the subsequent MPF voice/ADSL2+ order from Sky will probably have overridden this and cancelled the voice order, and as a side effect the FTTP.

To be expected really.

Yes but i only ordered sky last thursday after BT told me it was canceled,
and today BT said my sky order would not affect anything.

Edited by samsonsky (Mon 09-Mar-15 16:01:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Mar-15 16:24:11
Print Post

Sky probably placed the order to Openreach for an MPF provide (fully unbundled) which would automatically cancel any existing WLR + broadband (no matter if it was ADSL/FTTC or FTTP) order.

So makes sense for the order to have vanished, if the vanishing is not just another BT Retail problem.

I suspect the simplest route originally would have been to

1. Move out cancelling existing services
2. Move in and order a basic phone and ADSL based service to get things up and running ASAP
3. Dealt with the FTTP subsequent to this

You've confused people here a bit, so maybe similar to the sales people who tend not to take much confusing, particularly for the more rare stuff.

I very much doubt there is a process for handling house moves with regards to FTTP.

Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Mon 09-Mar-15 18:20:54
Print Post

Sorry i have confused some people here.

I just logged back in to BT now says this below.

Your order is in progress
It should be complete by Friday 13 March
Track your order
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Fri 13-Mar-15 16:02:54
Print Post

Small update BT come out today connected the phone line but that's all.

Was meant to have a visit for the fibre broadband but when i called another delay problem at the exchange.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 13-Mar-15 23:20:57
Print Post

It's a pity you hadn't trained in smashing bricks or planks of wood with your are hands. I understand it is good for releasing pent-up frustration in circumstances like this.

More seriously, now you have the line in, (I assume it is working), you really should cancel the Sky order. Unless you have money to burn.

Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Sat 14-Mar-15 00:08:33
Print Post

It's a pity you hadn't trained in smashing bricks or planks of wood with your are hands. I understand it is good for releasing pent-up frustration in circumstances like this.

More seriously, now you have the line in, (I assume it is working), you really should cancel the Sky order. Unless you have money to burn.

Not sure if i should cancel sky because i only have phone working, and no internet.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 14-Mar-15 02:23:05
Print Post

At some point Sky will put in a line transfer request to Openreach. Openreach should inform BT Consumer, who should write to you asking if you want that to happen - if you don't reply saying No then it will happen by default.

There are two dangers. First that you don't get the letter - I believe it isn't 100% certain to be sent, and second as MrSaffron suggested, just the request from Sky might kill your BT Broadband order.

Have you got a date for the next Openreach visit? You are going to need two I think. One that just goes to the outside, (that doesn't need you there), and one for the inside work following it, that does need someone in.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 14-Mar-15 02:26:54)

Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Sat 14-Mar-15 10:08:09
Print Post

At some point Sky will put in a line transfer request to Openreach. Openreach should inform BT Consumer, who should write to you asking if you want that to happen - if you don't reply saying No then it will happen by default.

There are two dangers. First that you don't get the letter - I believe it isn't 100% certain to be sent, and second as MrSaffron suggested, just the request from Sky might kill your BT Broadband order.

Have you got a date for the next Openreach visit? You are going to need two I think. One that just goes to the outside, (that doesn't need you there), and one for the inside work following it, that does need someone in.

Openreach was meant to come yesterday and let me down again, and have told me anything about new visit.. but remember i did cancel the order after they messed me about 3 times so don't understand why they are still sending me emails and telling me dates then not turning up.

They really are a joke and think i might be better off with sky. slower speeds but less hassle.

I have just connected my phone so all the computers can connect to it and the speeds are great for a mobile check the link.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4213154075
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 08:42:27
Print Post

If the line was BT then how long have you got that you can cancel them before you go into contract? If the Sky order goes in to late you might end up having to buy out the BT contract before you can switch.
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Mon 16-Mar-15 09:41:42
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
If the line was BT then how long have you got that you can cancel them before you go into contract? If the Sky order goes in to late you might end up having to buy out the BT contract before you can switch.

It's not my fault BT cant do a simple home move and wont be paying them anything,

4 weeks i have waited and 3 times it's been canceled.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 10:04:45
Print Post

Just warning that you could have a fight on your hands - could end up in small claims court or worst case dent your credit record.
Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 16-Mar-15 10:07:31
Print Post

Sooner or later you'll get a large bill from one or both unless you decide which you want and cancel the other. No good going on about what has gone wrong so far, you won't change that now.

Seems to me neither supplier at the moment knows what you want to happen next
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Mar-15 10:28:21
Print Post

It's not my fault BT cant do a simple home move
Installing a new FTTP connection is far from being a "simple home move".
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Mon 16-Mar-15 13:16:00
Print Post

Sooner or later you'll get a large bill from one or both unless you decide which you want and cancel the other. No good going on about what has gone wrong so far, you won't change that now.

Seems to me neither supplier at the moment knows what you want to happen next

They both know what i want, sky will be installed this friday so if BT do ever get my connection on i will have 2 lines but that's fine, because i know that one of them will always work.

BT just sent a text saying it's delayed until the 26th now
Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:36:56
Print Post

You won't ever have two lines

It's delayed while BT and Sky computers resolve what you really really want
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:42:47
Print Post

Why do you say that? It's perfectly possible to have two lines. In fact, in the past when people on Sky attempted to order TalkTalk, they were told they had to have a new line because the existing line was not "compatible"!

Oliver.
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:52:15
Print Post

It's delayed while BT and Sky computers resolve what you really really want

Why's that then ? Openreach told me friday i can have 2 lines no problem.
Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:53:33
Print Post

Yes, agreed

But that's not what is happening here
Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:55:27
Print Post

Yes, you can

But you don't actually want two lines do you?

And I'm guessing you won't pay for two

Will you?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:57:18
Print Post

But that's not what is happening here

It was just an example of when someone could have two lines,

Back to this case though, I see nothing which would prevent two lines being installed. Two orders, two lines.

Oliver.
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Mon 16-Mar-15 15:05:45
Print Post

Yes, you can

But you don't actually want two lines do you?

And I'm guessing you won't pay for two

Will you?

I don't mind having 2 but i only need one so i can have adsl on the phone line and fibre
Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 16-Mar-15 15:08:24
Print Post

Yes, but

He ain't after two lines, wouldn't want to pay for two lines and, at the moment is faffing around stopping one line being installed efficiently because he is unhappy with what has happened in the past

While saying he won't pay if he ends up with having to cancel a contract he could, as others have said, end up with a large bill from one or both and damage to his credit record

Pull the tail of the tiger hard enough you end up with a problem. Or even two!
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Mar-15 15:13:57
Print Post

Ok so in your previous post you didn't mean "You won't ever have two lines", since it's perfectly possible to have two lines.

What you actually meant to say was "You probably don't want two lines".

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 16-Mar-15 15:14:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 16-Mar-15 16:55:33
Print Post

I only just realised, that with it being a Home Move with BT it's probable the Sky order includes a new line install not a transfer. In which case his BT order will survive.

He'll end up with two I expect.

Standard User 961a
(learned) Mon 16-Mar-15 17:37:05
Print Post

I only just realised, that with it being a Home Move with BT it's probable the Sky order includes a new line install not a transfer. In which case his BT order will survive.

He'll end up with two I expect.

That's when the fun will start
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Tue 17-Mar-15 08:48:49
Print Post

That is not necessarily true. My Phone line was always with BT but I has ADSL with PlusNet. When FTTP became available I ordered from BT and for a period had both ADSL from PlusNet and FTTP from BT. The ADSL was only disconnected after I contacted PlusNet to request the termination. If I had not done that I would still have both available. I only ever had one Phone line but I did switch the calls from the copper to the fibre during the process.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Wed 18-Mar-15 12:10:10
Print Post

Sky is meant to go live friday and they told me it's a take over.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 18-Mar-15 20:39:53
Print Post

In which case you will get a huge cancellation bill from BT for the phone. You may or may not be safe re the FTTP order. It wouldn't surprise me if you get something for order cancellation this late.

Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Wed 25-Mar-15 21:30:38
Print Post

Sky is on and working well, spoke to Ofcom today told them about BT and they said when you moved if they never provided you with internet then your not in any contract.
Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Sat 14-Nov-15 15:48:04
Print Post

It's now 9 months since i moved home and BT are still charging me when i moved because they never setup my phone or internet.

Edited by samsonsky (Sat 14-Nov-15 15:49:42)

Standard User keith969
(member) Sat 14-Nov-15 16:39:36
Print Post

Well maybe you have been unlucky. In the last 6+ years with BT broadband I've few problems. FTTC speed is not great but I am a way from the cab in a small village, I upgraded to FTTC on the website, couldn't have been easier.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Nov-15 16:56:31
Print Post

Been with BT since VDSL came available in 2013 - never had an issue, fantastic service. Had one glitch where an engineer disconnected my pair in the cab by mistake, sorted quickly and compensated for it.
Speeds always great, never any problems at all.

Standard User samsonsky
(regular) Sat 14-Nov-15 17:02:38
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

I had no problems until i moved to an house with fibre to the house then it went tits up. they even sent open reach out and they said they would need to dig the garden up to install it which they said was fine. Then nothing happened.
Standard User edwincluck
(member) Sat 14-Nov-15 18:44:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by samsonsky:
It's now 9 months since i moved home and BT are still charging me when i moved because they never setup my phone or internet.

Standard Operating Procedure for customer-facing enterprises in Britain. BT must train its staff in the same school as Cooperative Energy! They borked our dual-fuel switch (transcribing the wrong meter ref.no.) and since Sept 2014 have been (double) charging us for electricity they never supplied!

Sounds like you're in the same Monty Pythonesque situation. "You must be receiving broadband from us, as you've been paying our bills!"
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to