User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Mar-15 15:55:17
Print Post

Re: Would enabling parental controls block my VPN from worki

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In that case, it's reasonable to expect that Parental Controls will block the VPN from working.

Yup, all parental controls definitely need to add VPN and proxies to their available categories, for the reasons ukhardy suggests. Sky have a VPN/proxy category, not sure about others.

Many people seem to want parental controls eliminated because they are "ineffective". I would say it's better to make them effective than scrap them, which is never going to happen on the large ISPs anyway, so the anti-lobby might as well give up on that one.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Mar-15 15:58:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How easy is it for the account holder to turn them on and off? If easy, then he could just try and see.

It's very easy to disable for the account holder, they just log in and scroll down to "BT Parental Controls".

Oliver.
Standard User rogerfp
(regular) Sat 21-Mar-15 21:18:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Absolutely correct to point that out. So to make sure that the VPN provider being used doesn’t leak your DNS settings while connected a site like ipleak.net can be used to test for any leaks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andysm
(member) Mon 23-Mar-15 20:57:17
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

I didn't have any issues with my work VPN when I had parental controls turned on. Unfortunately it did cause problems with Netflix on the Roku 3 so I had to turn then off.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to