User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User martthefart1
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 09:59:05
Print Post

best isp for fttc

[link to this post]

hi all line stats
FTTC Range A (Clean) 73.4 54 20 16.5 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 64.8 35.1 20 10.7 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14 -- 12 to 16 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 14 Up to 1 12 to 16 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
paying £37 a month with vivacity at the moment with phone rental need a good isp for gaming and some p2p and do all isp now block some sites? cheers for any advice
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Apr-15 15:37:12
Print Post

Re: best isp for fttc

[re: martthefart1] [link to this post]

By posting in this BT forum, are you saying that BT is best for FTTC? Doesn't follow!

Most major ISPs who are subjects of Court Orders are compelled to block certain file-sharing sites.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 18:07:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

o I was asking for a good isp cheap

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:08:06
Print Post

But nearly everyone who will see your post in here thinks BT are the best place to be. They aren't going to tell you somewhere else is better, because if they thought that they wouldn't be here.

There may be a few within their minimum term who intend to leave as soon as they can, but they will almost certainly be speaking from only hearsay of their next one. That's if they've decided.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:14:53
Print Post

Might want to get your post moved to the "Which ISP? (Residential)" forum.

A few months ago I would have said plusnet but I have just bought myself out of my contract.

plusnet Unlimited Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 63.83/15.7Mbps
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:27:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Most people who post in relative ISP forums appear to have problems. Your comments therefore do not make sense to me.
The title is definitely misleading and, as suggested, should be moved to "which ISP residential"
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 20:43:22
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

"relative ISP forums"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 60000/16961kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User partial
(committed) Sat 04-Apr-15 21:51:13
Print Post

BT just performs, day in day out.as far as I am concerned.

No hopping gateways every five minutes, not a bad price point. Free BT Sport, free WIFI / FON / Openzone and now a compelling sim only mobile offer. No need to have your eyes taken out by eye watering pay TV prices either.

BT are by far and away the biggest provider and yet they get very few complaints on the forum.

It's a free market and some peeps might feel they are cool by paying more for less or paying less for less. You have to weigh it up for yourself.

BT will block sites they are ordered to by the High Court.

21:30 Saturday night speedtest. - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4265742489

Edited by partial (Sat 04-Apr-15 21:55:18)

(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 22:13:58
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

thanks waiting for my isp vivacti to get back to me looking at bt tyvm for the feed back
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 22:15:09
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

skilty who are you with now?
Standard User Skilty
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 22:20:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by martthefart1:
skilty who are you with now?

Switching over to Sky on their Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited package on the 16th April. Normally £30 a month but I got it for £17.50 a month for 10 months on a 12 month contract.

If I don't find it any better than plusnet then I will head over to Zen but from what I can tell my issues are with plusnet and not the copper to the cab.

There were a few other things that plusnet did, like £160 to move the master socket (absolutely fine) but I was specific and said I wanted the cable from pole to house replaced as they would have to join it etc. That didn't happen. Sales guy told me £6 odd per month if I left my contract early, actually it is over £14 a month.

Just seems like plusnet are reverting back to the company they were a few years a go. But that is my opinion and other people are absolutely fine with them.

(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 23:18:24
Print Post

do sky throttle p2p and block sites?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 23:24:06
Print Post

They are subject to the same Court Orders as BT, and also apparently implement the IWF list.

Standard User Skilty
(regular) Sat 04-Apr-15 23:27:13
Print Post

As far as I am aware they do not throttle anything at all.

Regarding blocking I believe it is those websites etc where there is a court order but I could be wrong.

Blocked Sites

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Apr-15 23:29:46
Print Post

Linky.

Only an inhouse forum, but I would expect it to be correct.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Apr-15 23:33:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Skilty:
As far as I am aware they do not throttle anything at all.

Yep, there is no traffic management on BT, Sky or TalkTalk.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Apr-15 00:41:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
"relative ISP forums"?
Nepotic ISPs?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Apr-15 02:31:06
Print Post

Good and cheap rarely go together.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 05-Apr-15 09:31:23
Print Post

Re: best isp for fttc *DELETED*

Post deleted by flippery
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 05-Apr-15 10:21:20
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I was reasonably happy withBT, and now a bit happier with PlusNet. There do seem to have been quite a few issues with PlusNet recently, but I think still working well for most of their customers. Despite those issues they remain highest of the lower priced ISPs on the Thuikbroadband survey.

--
Recently moved from BT Infinity 2 to PlusNet. Very happy so far.
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 05-Apr-15 11:37:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Skilty:
Switching over to Sky on their Sky Fibre Pro Unlimited package on the 16th April.

Let us know how it goes, I'm interested in Sky Fibre Pro... I'm currently in the same boat as you though I'm not looking to pay of 16 months of contract just yet.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Sun 05-Apr-15 11:45:58
Print Post

A broadband connection will be as good as the line to your property and the network beyond it, the only difference between provider is that some will have extra features (like BT WiFi) and some might have better infrastructure at their end...

Typically, the more you pay the better the service quality should be and the better the customer service will be...

No ones every gone on the run around for a few quid but for triple that they might starting jumping through hoops...

You best bet might be BT.. specially as they are doing 12 month contracts currently and seem to have the best of all worlds in the broadband market...

BT Home Hub 5 (Decent bit of kit with dual band technology)
Access to BT WiFI Hotspots (at the cost of hosting a public hotspot from your address which will have little to no affect on your service)
BT Sport Online or Sky TV
Mobile Offers
12 months contracts.

Plusnet Unlimited 21CN 4200/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3 - BQM IPv4
Plusnet Fibre Extra 66000/20000 @ 450m > HG612 (Unlocked) > Linksys LRT224 - BQM IPv4
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 05-Apr-15 14:39:36
Print Post

"relative ISP forums"?

Should have been a politician, avoid the question
Your Plustnet referral discount must be less now given problems. Black and White here
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 05-Apr-15 14:41:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
"relative ISP forums"?
Nepotic ISPs?

Good job for you theirs google for info.
I know there or their.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Apr-15 15:03:05
Print Post

Nepotic ISPs?
Gave me a chuckle when you posted that, but didn't need a reply. I just thought I'd say so, whilst commenting on the fact the poster of it "relative" now seems to have completely lost the plot.

Not helping the OP and just throwing troll-type insults at both of us smile.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Apr-15 15:05:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:
Good job for you theirs google for info.
I know there or their.
LOL. Did you mean "... there's google ...."?

(regular) Sun 05-Apr-15 15:52:05
Print Post

might go with bt or sky still waiting on my isp vivacity do my stats look like of the bt checker ?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Apr-15 16:01:46
Print Post

The BT Wholesale estimates (they aren't line stats) you posted in the OP look fine.

However, seeing as this is in the BT forum it would be an idea to say roughly where you are, particularly which exchange, and hope someone in that area on Infinity can tell you their latency/ping times and general gaming performance. That's far more important than the sync speed and I believe on Infinity it can vary between excellent and lousy, depending on where you are.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 05-Apr-15 16:02:18)

(regular) Sun 05-Apr-15 17:17:01
Print Post

cheers rob im in south wales on blaenavon exchange

Edited by martthefart1 (Sun 05-Apr-15 18:21:38)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Apr-15 23:58:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:
Nepotic ISPs?
I know there or their.
I'm glad to see that you agree they're!

Standard User chris6273
(committed) Mon 06-Apr-15 09:50:08
Print Post

paying £37 a month with vivacity at the moment with phone rental need a good isp for gaming and some p2p and do all isp now block some sites? cheers for any advice

Not quite sure why some people are being silly and complaining about what forum this is posted in; it's quite easy to miss the Which ISP? (Residential) category.

I'd recommend BT; when the line works, their throughput on FTTC is typically very good. I get full throughput on my 80/20 line 24/7 most of the time. Speedtest results for my 80/20 connection

If you ever need support, go on their forums and post there; it's easier than phoning up their useless support.

You also get freebies such as Openreach WiFi access. And most ISPs do blocks sites as they have to by court order, but there are ways and means to get by this that I won't mention as it will likely be deleted.

I've heard some decent things about Zen but they are not very cheap. I've had friends move AWAY from PlusNet due to issues with throughput & reliability and their support being useless to them.

The only problem you may have with BT is their latency can be slightly higher than the more expensive ISPs due to poor routing. This is only 5-7ms more in most cases though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Apr-15 10:00:17
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chris6273:
You also get freebies such as Openreach WiFi access.
I think you mean BT Openzone, which is now BT Wifi? This is provided by BT not Openreach.

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Mon 06-Apr-15 11:38:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by chris6273:
You also get freebies such as Openreach WiFi access.
I think you mean BT Openzone, which is now BT Wifi? This is provided by BT not Openreach.

Whatever the name is yes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
(regular) Mon 06-Apr-15 11:54:40
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

thanks chris for taking the time to reply, ill phone up my isp see whats on offer,whats sky like I got sky tv?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Apr-15 12:56:23
Print Post

Why not ask in the Sky forum?

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
(member) Mon 06-Apr-15 13:22:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

cheers will do
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to