User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 26-Aug-15 23:47:23
Print Post

AMC on BT TV

[link to this post]

Hi all,

not seen any posts here, but BT have got exclusive rights to AMC, and the new walking dead spin-off, fear the walking dead, starts on Friday 27th August.

You have to have BT TV, so I just signed up, and got box today, AMC if free, if you take the sports package, which is also free if you have BT broadband, so seems like a good deal.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 31-Aug-15 23:56:50
Print Post

Re: AMC on BT TV

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

Just watched pilot, and looks very promising, plus great picture quality too, first time I've had BT TV and very impressed!
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 01-Sep-15 09:05:29
Print Post

With most of BT part of TV on ADSL it is pay to view on ADSL. The quality of picture on Sport and AMC is very good considering it is only SD. The youview box works well for freeview.
However, when watching Sport seems to hog most of broadband bandwidth.
As a renewing customer TV is £3 per month, including sport, fine by me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 01-Sep-15 12:55:36
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

AMC on my BT Freeview box, via Fibre infinity 2 unlimited, at 75Mbps, is in full HD
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Sep-15 13:04:09
Print Post

720/1080i/p??

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Tue 01-Sep-15 13:30:12
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

could be wrong here, but when I turn on the BT Freeview box to AMC, screen briefly says 1080p?
Certainly looks like 1080p compared to everything else on the Sony Bravia 60" I'm using.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Sep-15 13:31:31
Print Post

OK cheers, what does it say when you watch BBC One HD?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Sep-15 13:41:38
Print Post

As BBC One HD comes across the FreeView HD signal/platform it will depend on what the BBC is broadcasting it at.

AMC is different because it is delivered over the IPTV infrastructure

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Sep-15 13:49:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I know, the reason I asked was because the BBC HD channels on Freeview will be broadcasting at 720p/1080i not full HD, so then working out wether the IPTV channels are 1080i/p using the identifier coming up on the STB will confirm its res.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Sep-15 14:03:40
Print Post

If the youview box is upscaling and thus outputting at 1080p all the time it may not help, i.e. set-top boxes can upscale content

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Sep-15 14:06:33
Print Post

That would be the case on the TV but not the box itself!

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 01-Sep-15 18:21:17
Print Post

AMC is available on Channel 332 in SD or Channel 381 in Full HD.
HD is only available on Infinity and appears to be chargeable as extra cost.
The SD quality is on a par with BBC1 on the Youview.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Sep-15 18:42:44
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

As part of the existing HD Extra bundle so no extra charge if you already have that.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Sep-15 20:05:45
Print Post

Andrew's right the box output doesn't tell you anything.

I have the BT ultraHD package and it says it's 2160p no matter what channel I watch (terrestrial or IP channels)

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User zaggie
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 22:11:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I know, the reason I asked was because the BBC HD channels on Freeview will be broadcasting at 720p/1080i not full HD, .

According to the BBC website:
The BBC's HD channels currently transmit programmes using the 1080/50i standard and 1080/25p depending on how the content is captured.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Sep-15 00:01:42
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

anyone else getting problems with the new BT youview box in terms of recording via series link, then finding the last five or so minuets missing off the end of the programmes?

Seems to be on everything I record, phoned BT, who went through self helps (all on a script), then a factory reset, so lost all shows anyway, but not solved the recording/playback problems, still missing the end of shows, with no way to adjust the programme recording?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Sep-15 00:07:22
Print Post

Usually depends on the channel. Some broadcasters are better than others at using Accurate Recording signalling.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Sep-15 02:23:48
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

seems to only effect the BT internet channels, AMC in particular, I did series record of Mad Men, all missing the end of programmes?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Sep-15 08:49:37
Print Post

In which case new channel so maybe new playout staff and need to tweak the end of show markers.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 04-Sep-15 23:29:41
Print Post

Had conversation with top team at BT, who admit it's a software problem, ongoing for ages for them now, and who seem to be waiting for YouView to update its software, something they seem to be in no rush to do, sadly!
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Sep-15 18:32:57
Print Post

Last Sunday my recording of the MotoGP race picked up the 15 minute over-run (due to a rain-delayed) start but I think that was down to an EPG change which was picked up in time rather than using Accurate Recording. Oddly the summary info for the recording still had the end time down as the original but the deatailed info had the new end time ... or perhaps not so oddly given the on the fly EPG change and knowing how coders think and work.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sat 05-Sep-15 19:45:28
Print Post

Incorrect.

BBC HD broadcasts on Freeview are a mixture of 1080i and 1080p. Nothing is broadcast in 720p.
Standard User Davey_H
(newbie) Sat 05-Sep-15 21:52:27
Print Post

Indeed. They dynamically switch between the two on Freeview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/20...

Edited by Davey_H (Sat 05-Sep-15 22:02:30)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Sep-15 22:41:01
Print Post

Which is why I said 720/1080 not a mixture.

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

*Migrating > Full MPF 16th September smile
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 07:56:08
Print Post

Eh?

the BBC HD channels on Freeview will be broadcasting at 720p/1080i not full HD

They do not broadcast in 720p. The BBC HD channels on Freeview are broadcast in either the 1080/50i or 1080/25p standards.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:00:49
Print Post

Which is why I said they "either" broadcast at 720/1080i.... I didn't say both!

In this context " / = Or "

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:04:42
Print Post

Where does the 720p come from? The BBC do not broadcast in 720p via terrestrial!

The BBC broadcast in 1080i and 1080p on Freeview - what you said was completely incorrect.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:10:09
Print Post

F...inell... this discussion seems to be going like a scratched record...

I refer you back to the post that you first replied to me on...

It is a reply to Andrew regarding the fact that Freeview's (DVB-T2) Broadcasts of High Definition are in 720p/1080i (remember or not both)...

As you have "correctly" pointed out that since my last dealing with any DVB-T2 setups they have now started broadcasting selected content in a variation of 1080p!

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:18:43
Print Post

There has never has been a broadcast source of 720p in the UK - I hope this clears things up for you. What Andrew said was entirely correct, it was your response that was incorrect.

And they have been broadcasting in 1080p for over 4 years now, not just 'now'!
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:42:24
Print Post

Yes there has, 720p was Virgin Media's HD delivery for sometime... I believe it may still be too for a few channels!

I'm not a huge follower of Live Broadcasting to be honest, and what Andrew said wasn't the correct answer to my question,

but after this back and forth this morning there must be something wrong with the original post that is misleading people or I'm the only sober one here.

What Andrew referred too was that the TV would show the resolution it was receiving from the STB and not from each individual channel... and that wasn't what I was asking... what I was asking was what the STB indicated the resolution was per channel "if it did"!!!

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

Edited by mlmclaren (Sun 06-Sep-15 08:46:36)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:55:01
Print Post

Nope, VM delivery is in 1080i and always has been I am told. Why would they be delivering in 720p25 if it requires more bandwidth than 1080i50?

BBC iPlayer HD delivery *was* in 720p25, although I am not sure if this is still the case.

Edited by deleted (Sun 06-Sep-15 08:57:21)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-15 08:57:22
Print Post

Nope. Virgin was in 720p... I remember this very well! It was in the lead up to TiVo that Virgin went 1080i!

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 09:01:18
Print Post

Jeesh...box outputs do not mean the source broadcast is in the same format!

Think about it a bit...why would VM be broadcasting in 720p when it requires more bandwidth than 1080i and all the source recordings/streams are in 1080i/p?
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-15 09:11:34
Print Post

Not talking about box outputs, I'm talking about the broadcasts...

In the early Virgin HD days most broadcasts where in 720p, then they started going 1080i (for the very reason you mention) and as they where adding higher quality channels from Sky.

They where at one point broadcasting stuff like BBC HD in 720P... I remember clearly because I found out when compared Sky HD and was bitching at Virgin about it!

Now I'm not discussing it any further... the fact is I asked wether BT TV was broadcasting all its HD channels (or AMC at least) at 1080P HD or 1080i HD, this whole discussion has been a waste of time and still no closer to get an answer to the question originally asked.

and worse still it was all started by your jumping of bullets and not reading the question correctly or even attempting to understand its context! frown

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 09:17:33
Print Post

BBC HD is broadcast as 1080i but on the "making of..." programmes (like at the end of each episode of Planet Earth or the whole of Lost Land Of The Jaguar) you see the cameramen using Panasonic HD cameras with are labelled as 720p.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Sep-15 09:38:22
Print Post

And what a camera records is not necessarily what is broadcast, i.e. in the edit suite the content will have been ingested and upscaled to the to the broadcast standard

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 09:49:34
Print Post

There seems to be little point up scaling 720p to 1080i
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 11:57:33
Print Post

A thread from 7 years ago!? Clearly useful...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/20...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/bbchd_channels_schedule

Edited by deleted (Sun 06-Sep-15 11:58:06)

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:17:11
Print Post

In the early Virgin HD days most broadcasts where in 720p, then they started going 1080i (for the very reason you mention) and as they where adding higher quality channels from Sky.

BBC have never broadcast in 720p (as have any other broadcaster here), and the original HD broadcasts with VM started some 8-9 years ago...which must have made you what, 11 or 12 years old? blush
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:39:50
Print Post

There is when you want to support a standard output

e.g. before 1080 cameras became the standard a show may have featured a range of resolutions in its input material.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:45:17
Print Post

I think 4k cameras are the standard now
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:55:55
Print Post

I doubt BBC has upgraded all its cameras to 4k yet, but some events are certainly recorded in 4k.

It took a good number of years to get the outside broadcast trucks upgraded to all be HD capable, and the data rates of 4K mean another wave of upgrades needed.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Sun 06-Sep-15 13:01:51
Print Post

But as an example, the living planet was filmed using 720p cameras when 1080 was the standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Sep-15 13:27:02
Print Post

But would have been broadcast upscaled or downscaled to whatever the broadcast channel used as its standard.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Sep-15 20:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:

BBC have never broadcast in 720p (as have any other broadcaster here), and the original HD broadcasts with VM started some 8-9 years ago...which must have made you what, 11 or 12 years old? blush

Again... I never said BBC....

May I correct your impromptu date estimates, The first HD channel on cable platform was in 2006 (trial) and first official channel (BBC HD) was around the end of 2007....

I was about 13 - 14 years old when I gained my interest in telecoms and home media so yes been around 7-8 years... I do wonder why age has anything to do with this...

I suppose its your usual lack of informative input and just typing nonsense as usual...

May I refer you to another post where you did this and my response!

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 07-Sep-15 00:17:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Why would they be delivering in 720p25 if it requires more bandwidth than 1080i50?
720p/50 not 720p/25 (huge difference). Which has a lower bitrate than 1920x1080i/25 both uncompressed and like-for-like compressed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to