User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Sep-15 12:20:52
Print Post

Re: BT to Deploy IPv6 across entire network by December 2016

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Rolling out IPv6 doesn't mean that IPv4 will be dropped, so existing users and their kit should not be affected. It just means that new customers may be forced to use IPv6 once BT Consumer run out of IPv4 addresses.

In time of course there will be some IPv6-only web servers. That's the users' problem on old kit, not the ISPs. If a customer wants IPv6 capability they will have to buy it. How BT Consumer will handle that is another question, given the ways IPv4 and IPv6 can be set up on user equipment.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 12:53:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Any ISP deploying IPv6 as the only IP connectivity is going to find lots of complaints about websites not working.

IPv4 is going to be around for a long time, until such time as 99.9999% of websites and services actually work on IPv6 natively.

IPv6 with a CGNAT IPv4 address will be the way it goes if they do actually run out of IPv4 allocation

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User din100
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 13:27:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

knowing BT they will go with IPv6 with a CGNAT IPv4.

how Comcast in US do it ? do they run full IPV6 only network and tunnel ipv4 traffic ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sylcol
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 15:19:36
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Zyborg47,

Not very impressed with BT customer service but have to say my HH5 (b) works well.

WiFi is as good as anything I have used before. Multiple users at times with no speed or drops.
Perhaps your neighbour has a faulty one.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 15:46:48
Print Post

Or NAT64:

http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6-nat64.html

-==-
DougM
Standard User din100
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 17:02:32
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

NAT64 looks promising I might try it tonight on AA network

(regular) Wed 30-Sep-15 17:27:43
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I have to agree, the HH3 had much better wifi than the HH5 does, don't know why as the signal strength (as measured on a Macbook Wireless disgnostics) seems OK yet upstairs it always tried to connect to BT FON rather than the default 2.4 GHz signal. And no 5GHz outside the room that the HH5 is in.

TBB speed tests shows that the upstairs PC gets about 5 down, 3 up comparared to the direct Lan connection to the hub which is 50 down / 8 up. This is on an identical Macbook...
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Wed 30-Sep-15 18:56:32
Print Post

I wish they would do the simple things first...........like fix their bleeding email service!

Progress though..

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 11:03:48
Print Post

It was on for 2 days before we gave up on it, so I presume it should have updated in those couple of days, I also do nto think that is the problem anyway.
I have looked around the net and a few people have the same problems with it. I even separated the frequencies using two different SSID and that did not work either, the Windows phone would not connect, a Android phone still would not connect and the signal was low to the tablet they use.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens i suppose

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 11:04:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Any ISP deploying IPv6 as the only IP connectivity is going to find lots of complaints about websites not working.

IPv4 is going to be around for a long time, until such time as 99.9999% of websites and services actually work on IPv6 natively.

IPv6 with a CGNAT IPv4 address will be the way it goes if they do actually run out of IPv4 allocation

so the old HH3 should be ok then?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to