User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Nov-15 22:27:19
Print Post

Re: Compensation claims?

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Same here, don't think I have ever had a missed appointment from BT.
Well we have had only one missed appointment, phoned BT and they turned up the next evening.

In reply to a post by MHC:
I have even had a B T team turn up 3 hours earlier than they planned - "because it is easier to do this at 5 AM rather than 8AM".
Well we haven't had one arrive that early before, but we have had one arrive 2 hours before the allocated evening slot, we was told they finished their last job faster than the allocated time.

Only once or twice we have had issues with the quality of their work.

Overall we have had a good outcome from BT Openreach appointments, touch wood.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 20-Nov-15 23:31:36
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edwincluck:
While increasing the cost of line rental by nearly twice the rate of inflation, every year since 2006.
Openreach annual price to Communications Providers for line rental:-

01/03/2006 to 31/03/2010 £100.68
01/04/2010 to 31/03/2012 £103.68
01/04/2012 to 31/03/2013 £98.81
01/04/2013 to 30/04/2013 £94.75
01/05/2013 to 19/12/2013 £93.27
20/12/2013 to 16/05/2014 £93.32
17/05/2014 to 30/06/2014 £96.17
01/07/2014 to 31/03/2015 £91.05
01/04/2015 to date £89.50

My annual line rental is £156 including Vat, which once we remove the Vat is £130. So the provider is making a gross profit of £40.50pa from me on rental. Call charges are laughably low.

So BT Retail, Sky, TalkTalk and many others are the ones messing around with line rentals.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Nov-15 00:42:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Alas does not fit the popular narrative so people tend not to pay any attention

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User edwincluck
(member) Sat 28-Nov-15 00:40:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They used to refund a month's line rental for each day of outage.
Which parallel universe was that in?

Childish and trite.

The BT compensation for outage, in 2002, for example, was:
Compensation is at the rate of a month's rental per day of total unusability but depends on day of reporting it faulty, and starts at least 24 hours after the report is made.

With that proof now on the table, I could ask "what parallel universe are you living in"?!

But that would be childish and trite.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 28-Nov-15 01:05:52
Print Post

[re: edwincluck] [link to this post]

I could ask "what parallel universe are you living in"?!

But that would be childish and trite.
As demonstrated by raising it after 10 days and intervening posts by both of us, when you have already replied to the same post. I shall have to puzzle out what triggered it.

Particularly, as others have pointed out, you were talking about Openreach, which didn't exist. I doubt if they would pay end user compensation seeing as we don't pay them anything.

Have a nice quack.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 01-Apr-16 11:48:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So, the fault came back after the equinox as I suspected it would.

I called it into Sky yesterday. Openreach engineer attended today and it looks like he's fixed it.

Excellent service from Sky Fibre Pro smile
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-May-16 10:58:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
as we as a nation have adopted call bundles, and more calls are on mobiles call revenue that was the gold mine has decreased increasing pressure on all the nice bits that a Telco would happily do before.

Agreed, but way back, BT had some ads which compared UK and USA households, telling us how many more hours a month the US households used their phones, speaking to friends and relatives (with no mention of call bundles in most US domestic call plans). I think it was an attempt to 'guilt-trip' us while conning us at the same time, considering it was like Apples and Apricots to compare the services in just call minutes per month.

One of my early ISPs (ultra.net, before it was taken over by a cable firm from Chicago) offered tiered charges based on connect hours, no doubt because of the 'included calls' element most homes and businesses had. They went from about $5 {2 hours} to $100 {unlimited hours} per month. I signed up for the $5 a month service, getting a whole 5 MB of web space... this was 10x the storage a UK ISP I used at the time (~1993) was offering. {Zetnet in case anyone wondering.}

Ultra.Net also sent me 2 floppy disks with the forerunner to Netscape Navigator, NCSA Mosaic! Also Trumpet WinSock (SLIP/PPP) and other internet related software (might have been first encounter with Eudora, BICBW).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 01-May-16 11:10:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In fact I think it is simply incorrect wrt domestic lines. Perhaps it was true for business lines with an enhanced SLA,

While there may have been some errors (1 month compensation for 3 days after an initial 3 days, from memory), it was related to domestic lines with no enhanced SLA. I was given a compensatory credit amounting to 6 months line rental after quite a number of days - by simple calculation probably 3 weeks without service, I think, on my Home Highway.

Given the cost of HH, and that it was on the same account with 2 other phone lines, I think I cancelled HH soon after, because then the credit covered the other 2 lines (and frankly, the times when I needed HH at 128 kbps, or used the 'third number' were getting fewer and fewer). I don't remember the year, sorry, but clearly it was before HH was phased out.

---

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-May-16 12:46:17
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
Agreed, but way back, BT had some ads which compared UK and USA households, telling us how many more hours a month the US households used their phones, speaking to friends and relatives (with no mention of call bundles in most US domestic call plans).

If I remember right, all US telephone customers always had free local calls as a right, at no extra cost. This not only meant they could spend longer on the phone chatting, but also meant they could have unlimited internet access long before we did, since the ISPs provided local numbers for dial-up.

Oliver.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-May-16 08:44:46
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
they could have unlimited internet access long before we did ...

unlimited dial-up but only if you were willing to pay a hefty ISP fee ($100 is still quite a hefty fee now, let alone 20++ years ago).

I suspect all ISPs in the States had similar charges. with the exception of AOL, of course, which paid local ISPs for dial-up ports, to be able to cope with demand (and still didn't!).

When visiting friends in the vicinity of San Diego, I was told (by the 15yo daughter) that everyone raced home to get connected to AOL after school (around 1500) else one only got engaged tones. I think that's why she parked a half block from school...

---

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to