User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:42:46
Print Post

Re: Another major BT outage - doesn't anyone post here anymo

[re: Milhouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Milhouse:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Really?

You think I'm making it up? wink
I'm not talking about the outage. If you read my post again, the "Really?" is intended to be about
... came here expecting it to be alive with complaints... but nothing. Weird.

Or maybe it's because this site is inaccessible to BT users (as is the BT Status page, ironically). I'm only here because I've been able to tunnel to a box on another ISP and post from there.
Though I did take you to mean this site was permanently blocked by BT - later posts in the thread make it clear you didn't mean that.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:46:30
Print Post

It's not a complete 'outage'. Some web sites ( such as The Guardian ) come up with no problem, while others such as Channel 4 are incredibly slow ( took hours to watch the last instalment of the SAS program last night as he adverts took ages to appear ), and some web sites such as the Met Office just give a ' web site does not exist' type of message. And of course....the BT Status page is one of the incaccessible ones !
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:50:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Though I did take you to mean this site was permanently blocked by BT - later posts in the thread make it clear you didn't mean that.

He said "inaccessible" and made it clear in his post he was talking about an outage, I didn't see much ambiguity in it to be honest.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 12:52:30
Print Post

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

Yup, I typically go to the BT forum since people report issues there much more than here, but of course it was affected too.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connec...

OP says last few days but it only started around the time of his post.

Oliver.
Standard User alext05
(committed) Tue 17-Nov-15 13:08:16
Print Post

The Register has a view on this.

Yesterday: Openreach boss quits. Today: BT network goes TITSUP
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 13:17:26
Print Post

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

BT didn't put this issue on their service status in July and they didn't do it this time either. The latest service status with a bunch of area codes appears to be unrelated, since many people in area codes outside those listed were affected.

At least they took to twitter to report it, but it should have been put on their service status page too.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-15 14:16:40
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
He said "inaccessible" and made it clear in his post he was talking about an outage, I didn't see much ambiguity in it to be honest.
I'm so pleased for you that you never misunderstand a post.

Note that I did say I had done so, as explanation to the OP. I had no need so to do frown. Next time maybe I shouldn't, so I wouldn't get that sort of clever remark from you.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 15:57:45
Print Post

I'm so pleased for you that you never misunderstand a post.

Note that I did say I had done so, as explanation to the OP. I had no need so to do frown. Next time maybe I shouldn't, so I wouldn't get that sort of clever remark from you.

Really?

wink

Edit: I guess BT messing with my internets makes me grouchy.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Tue 17-Nov-15 16:11:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 17-Nov-15 16:10:52
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Nice one tongue.

Actually I've just realised what led me astray in the first place. "Another major BT outage - doesn't anyone post here anymore?
Or maybe it's because this site is inaccessible to BT users ...."

True - that's what triggered the "Really". BatBoy's first reply wasn't there, as you can see from the timings.

So I still should have picked up on the "routing" probably causing the inaccessibilty, but didn't smile.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Nov-15 16:17:31
Print Post

(minor edit to my previous post)

Anyway yes, various sites including BT ones were affected for some due to the routing issues, certainly not an intentional block but just a fault. The routing issues to various hostnames could be circumvented via connecting to a VPN (assuming the route to the VPN was not affected of course) since that would have bypassed BT's problematic routing.

Thankfully it only lasted 15 hours, last time was longer, but having this disruptive issue twice in 4 months is not impressive.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to