User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(member) Wed 23-Dec-15 18:45:21
Print Post

Re: Slow internet after line fault repaired

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

Could internal wiring be at fault? how is the hub connected to the phone line, through what socket? any extensions?

saw this with my aunts broadband, her line said 33dB attenuation, and she was getting 3-4Mbps on adsl2+, fiddled around with sockets *removed ring wire* and shot up to 9-12Mbps, so much better.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Dec-15 22:00:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looks like some kind of banding issue to me too. The engineer wouldn't have reset DLM as they were called out for a voice fault.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Thu 24-Dec-15 09:31:00
Print Post

I would have expected Down/Up Line attenuation to be 2 to 1. However here Down is only just above Up. If it was banded, as mine was, SNR would have been 30 not 7 as shown.
I am no expert but there does seem a problem with line

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 24-Dec-15 10:20:21
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies. Something very fishy with the line, I now noticed that if someone rings my neighbour although it doesn't ring my phone it comes up as a silent missed call! Still waiting for a response from BT
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 24-Dec-15 11:27:25
Print Post

That's very strange, could be a split pair between you and your neighbour or some sort of shorting.
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Thu 24-Dec-15 11:35:27
Print Post

Could this be that line pair incorrect somehow and Broadband only coming down 1 of Pair only. Speed would indicate this.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Thu 24-Dec-15 11:37:47
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

That would be a typical Kellys screw-up.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Wed 06-Jan-16 13:45:03
Print Post

Well, has fourth engineer visit on Mon 4th, spent about three hours working on overhead line near exchange, said there was battery contact on my line but could not find source, no available spare pairs left. Left saying "see how it goes", thirty mins later had another crossed line call. Spoken with India several times being told different things, last guy said openreach had "passed it back to BT management team who would call me"

Engineer said at the time that whole cable needed replacing but had no idea when or if!

Meanwhile I am one of the select few who can listen in on other peoples private phone conversations without written permission from the home secretary!!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 20:35:20
Print Post

If it tests battery, it tests battery, and the the fault cannot be closed off.

Get them to get Openreach out again and then ask what the engineer proposes to do about it. Needs to narrow it down to a length, tag either end and then pass to the team who deal with these things.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Fri 05-Feb-16 11:01:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well finally sorted out. Last engineer came and said I was on a "split connection and was now fixed". Well not quite as in doing so he cut off my neighbour!
Any way my neighbour (plusnet) had to call out openreach who reconnected him and all seems ok at last.

There is a massive disconnect between what openreach enginners say and what I was being told by the indian call centre.

I had good support from the uk BT care office but you have to run through treacle to get it.

Conclusion, BT is a good product when things are working but let down by appalling customer support.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to