User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jan-16 17:41:42
Print Post

Re: Update - Finally

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Eager to find out what I could get from 300 metres of copper I clicked to the stats to find full sync and also an attainable of near 120/30....

Interesting to see what happens to those attainable figures as others go online..
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jan-16 22:17:10
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

I agree, I've already anticipated those attainable figures to drop as more of the apartments go online...

However I'm still quiet positive that there won't be to much of an impact... or not a noticeable one anyway... I think the fact that all internal cabling from the DP is cat5e cable gives it a fighting chance from the start.

I'm thinking of changing the Openreach NTE5 back to the socket installed by the Developers Electricians and its nice and slim line, matches the other sockets (aerial, satellite, electrical) and also the NTE5's removable plates are faulty and preventing the DSL from connecting.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-16 09:52:23
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gt94sss2:
Eager to find out what I could get from 300 metres of copper I clicked to the stats to find full sync and also an attainable of near 120/30....

Interesting to see what happens to those attainable figures as others go online..

I didn't realise how bad crosstlk could be, but as soon as 1 new connection went live it took a chunk of downstream sync from the attainable... and now that there's a good majority of this building online it's dropped conciderably... unfortunatly this morning I've had a check up on the connection to find I now have an attainable lower than 79999kbps and my downstream SNR is hangin on at 5.6db......

What I do wonder though is what it would look like if it all apartments had VDSL... I know of 3 flats with ADSL... being so close to exchange some might of favoured the cheaper/free alternatives... not to mention the considerably shortend activation time for ADSL over FTTC it seems..

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(member) Wed 02-Mar-16 10:11:02
Print Post

It is a great feeling to finally get a working connection after weeks and months of hassle smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-16 10:20:49
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

It's been connected for a while now... on the first day itwas connected my attainble was 116000/30000kbps but now its dropped to 78000/24000...

and based on more connections inevitably going live in the coming weeks or months it only going to get worse....

Ths probably explains the reason for BT Wholesales crazy line estimates which have changed since I placed my order...

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 02-Mar-16 12:04:50
Print Post

yeah not unexpected really, I had the same experience.

110mbit attainable when I first unlocked modem (within 2 weeks of service live)
Then within a week of unlocking it, it dropped to circa 90mbit in one go probably an install.
Then not long after the attainable was down to the low 70s.

After that point further drops happened but were much smaller, and the long term average on that pair was a sync in the high 60s, until it dropped to below 50mbit at which point openreach treated it as faulty and I am back in the low 70s on my new pair since.

Those people who have managed to keep 80+ after crosstalk many I noticed had initial speeds above 130mbit attainable, so there is a quite a drop between no crosstalk and populated crosstalk.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-16 12:48:56
Print Post

What I do wonder though is what it would look like if it all apartments had VDSL... I know of 3 flats with ADSL... being so close to exchange some might of favoured the cheaper/free alternatives... not to mention the considerably shortend activation time for ADSL over FTTC it seems..

I am just helping out a friend who is the electrician specifying an office to apartment conversion. There is a secure comms room in the building and with forecasts of 80Mbps for the building - the cabinet in probably less than 100m away. BT have agreed that they will install the masters for VDSL within that comms room along with modems and then the split off voice if routed through CW1308 and the Ethernet output from the modem will be fed through Cat6 to the individual apartments where the routers will be based. That will reduce the cross talk and noise pick up from within the building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-16 13:29:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That sounds like a good idea, but I can't see that actually happening in reality.

Everyone's modems need to be in their own individual apartments. Openreach aren't fitting modems anymore anyway. They can replace them on repairs but it's assumed the CPs are using combined VDSL routers (modem and router in one device).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-16 14:01:15
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Read the post:

"BT have agreed ... " And as the people we are dealing with are from BT's Openreach division, it will happen.

And why do the modems need to be in individual apartments? There is no technical or legal reason why they cannot be remotely located.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Wed 02-Mar-16 14:03:09)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 14:25:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

And why do the modems need to be in individual apartments? There is no technical or legal reason why they cannot be remotely located.

Thinking about it, Icarus makes a fair point, most folk want the router within the property to use it for wireless access. Since many CP's now provide an all-in-one modem router .....

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to