User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 27-Jan-16 15:10:36
Print Post

Re: New Customer Woes

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
And if it is the internal wiring then it could be temporarily fixed by using the test socket whilst you fight BT over their workmanship.
Care needed! If the OP were to do that and then tell anyone in BT they had, then they could claim the OP did the damage.
It may even be a very easy fix that you could do yourself and guarantee you not getting charged.
I'm trying to think what the problem could possibly be, to be honest!

I wonder if it still rings in, and can be answered.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jan-16 15:56:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There is a big problem here - if it isn't tested BT will charge if it turns out to be on the customer wiring and if they do test then as you say BT might say they broke it. As it stands I suspect it could be difficult to "prove" BT broke it no matter what the OP does...
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jan-16 16:30:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

I'm trying to think what the problem could possibly be, to be honest! I wonder if it still rings in, and can be answered.

I will test the master socket but keep mum about that.....

The first fault was I could get a dial tone but dialling a number did not break the tone, that was recognized and supposedly fixed, now I still get a dial tone when I dial sometimes it breaks and the line goes quite and then after a time I get a disconnected tone, other times it fails to break, the line checker says there is no fault found....
Incoming calls ring, I can answer and talk to the other person....

Thanks for the help BTW.....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited

Edited by madmart (Wed 27-Jan-16 16:31:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jan-16 16:38:56
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

Disconnect the modem cable and if it works its probably a duff filter faceplate or cabinet filter

Edited by Ribble (Wed 27-Jan-16 16:40:02)

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jan-16 18:53:36
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Hi,
Tried disconnecting the router cable, made no difference.

Tried at the test socket and I can dial out so without a doubt internal wiring.

The volume seems noticeably louder at the test point.

Also, as a test I tried 1471, when on the internal wiring I get an incorrect number notification when I dial almost as though something is getting thro but not everything.

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 27-Jan-16 21:38:31
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

A short on the bell circuit will cause continuous dial tone and a test okay result on the line tester. You are also getting quieter dial tone which would indicate the resister is coming into play. Check that the same coloured wires are on the same terminals on all sockets.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 27-Jan-16 22:34:30
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

But it would not give an incorrect number ident on 17070 or 1471. Sounds the same trick OR played on me and hooked to wrong line.

Edited by professor973 (Wed 27-Jan-16 22:35:26)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jan-16 09:12:51
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I think it is that the number is failing to dial correctly rather than that their number is not correct.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jan-16 09:13:28
Print Post

If the bell circuit causes that then wouldn't removing any connections to terminal 3 for the extensions remove that problem?
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 12:41:38
Print Post

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, something to check.

If I remove the master socket to isolate the internal from external, would be as easy as sticking a multimeter across the bell terminal and the other two and looking for some kind of resistance ?

When I moved in years ago I removed the bell wire from the master to boost my line speed, the OR guy has re-connected it, so that is for sure something that has changed.

I've also acquired one of these:- RS Stock No. 765-9612, Telephone Test Set any use for me ?

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to