User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 12:42:20
Print Post

Re: New Customer Woes

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Correct Ian, fails to dial correctly......

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 12:46:24
Print Post

At the end of the day, I think you are right it would be just my word, I could probably back it up with a bill from Sky proving I could dial out at one point, however going further that that would be my word against theirs...

I have booked an engineer for 5/2, that gives me a bit of time to try a few things myself and try and negate the risk....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jan-16 12:49:50
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

It could easily just be the bell wire that is causing the issue and may be a simple case of removing it again - it isn't needed for the extensions to operate. Carefully use a pair of tweezers/pliers to remove the bell wire from terminal 3 and see if that makes any difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Jan-16 12:50:55
Print Post

See my other post for first stage but it could be that the faceplate itself has some sort of an issue - if it does then BT should replace that as a warranty fix as they have only just fitted the thing.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 13:25:18
Print Post

I was puzzled right from the start about the changes made. In particular "and a VDSL socket next to my existing equipment, to do this he had to make some modifications to my internal wiring".

That doesn't sound like the simple addition of an interstitial filter plate. That, combined with not having a clue about how BT TV is wired up, is why I didn't immediately suggest removing the filter plate and trying connecting through a dangly filter into the test socket.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 13:46:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

The guy split off the VDSL line and ran that trough a spare pair in my extension wiring to and extension near the TV, he then fitted an RJ11 socket next to the existing phone outlet.. To do that though I think he had to join the spare pair in at least one other extension, he had 3 of the 4 off at one point...

BTTV installation is a big fuss over nothing, Ethernet cable into the router and then TV aerial into the youview box, really don't need an engineer for that part...

I just plugged the phone directly into the test socket, as I said at that point it worked fine...

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 13:47:25
Print Post

I'll have a poke with the multimeter tonight and then remove it, done without it for 5 years smile

Thanks !

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 14:09:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by madmart:
The guy split off the VDSL line and ran that trough a spare pair in my extension wiring to and extension near the TV, he then fitted an RJ11 socket next to the existing phone outlet.. To do that though I think he had to join the spare pair in at least one other extension, he had 3 of the 4 off at one point...
I think we need some photos uploading somewhere, of the actual connections inside the sockets. Perhaps also of the sockets before you open them. That sounds odd.
I just plugged the phone directly into the test socket, as I said at that point it worked fine...
Sorry, I forgot that.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Jan-16 14:18:54)

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jan-16 14:29:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

I'll try the bell wire first tonight as thats dead easy, I have a KRONE tool so can wip them in and out fairly easily if it fixes things then great...

If not I'll take photos... I'll try to describe a bit better though...

Iíve a reasonably new build house with built in phone extensions with multi pair cable running between them, cant remember exactly how many, looking at it, it could be Cat 5.....

The new BT master socket has a separate pair of terminals for the VDSL signal, the OR guy connected a spare from the internal wiring to these terminals. Unfortunately the extension I wanted to use was not the first in the chain, so he had to join the VDSL pair in a couple of cable runs to get the signal to extension I wanted to use.

At that final extension he put a little wall mounted RJ11 socket on the wall and ran the VDSL pair out and into this... Like I said, if pulling the bell wire dont fix it Iíll take some pics...

Thanks for the help though....

--
Mart.
Sky Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Jan-16 15:17:34
Print Post

So where is the router, at the master or near the TV? It sounds like near the TV. And "out and into this..." - this what? HomeHub 5?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to