User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 14:20:25
Print Post

Re: Throughput Issues, BT Infinity, in the evenings.

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
1 - You moved to BT who have an inferior network to sky to just get a newer router? I am on sky fiber pro happily using my 8800nl (in modem mode) with my asus ac68.
2 - The hh5b is a chipset mismatch with a eci cabinet, with that said tho so is the hg612. So if the hg612 was fine I assume the hh5b would be also as they both broadcom chipsets.
3 - A line can get 1000s of errors a day and still be fine, ES is the more important figure, especially SES. Hook up the hg612 and accrue some stats for a few days so we can offer a better diagnosis. Also get TBB BQM running.

I moved to BT for the following reasons:

1. Much better deal (£12.50 a month for a year, £125 mastercard)
2.The Sky router is extremely poor for this day and age - only 100mbit network ports, poor wireless range and no 5Gz wireless. The BT router is superior in every way.
3. Sky had a habit of adding services to my account that I didn't agree to. £10 for Sky+, which considering I don't have Sky TV is rather strange, and more recently £4 a month for Sky Talk evenings + weekends. I didn't request/agree to these services, they were simply automatically added, which is terrible service IMO. I had to spend almost an hour on the phone with Sky to cancel these unwanted automatic additions to my service each time.

I don't believe BT have an 'inferior' network' to Sky at all - perhaps in the past but BT have been great for my friends/family in the last year or so, which was another reason I decided to swap.

After I swapped to BT a week ago, I initially thought I was seeing some congestion in the evenings (see OP) but have now determined this was simply the DLM line reset removing interleaving from my line, so I imagine I was getting thousands of CRC/ES causing my speedtests to show less than 1mbit download. Why the router didn't resync itself though is quite strange.

Now that DLM has started to intervene and interleaving has been enabled, I haven't seen any congestion at all.

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png

Edited by dave2150 (Thu 04-Feb-16 14:46:44)

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 14:29:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I think the best way for you to get the same performance as with Sky is to plug the HG612 into the Homehub. Then the only difference is with the backhaul as the modem is the same.

Another thing you can try is to request another Homehub from BT as this one has problems, and hope you get a HH5A.

I have now connected my HG612 to check my line stats, please see the link below:

http://imgur.com/a/YRwvQ

Note that the HH5B was performing well the last few days, after interleaving was turned on. Though it seems to have applied a very high interleaving setting - I now get 40ms to BBC. With my Sky connection, I had 24-26ms to BBC.co.uk for the last two years, so clearly that was a stable setting. It's also set a sync cap of 27mbit - which also seems rather conservative, since my Sky service was 33-34mbit for the last two years, perfectly stable.

I'll leave my HG612 connected for a couple weeks so I can monitor line stats - I just hope DLM will decrease the level of interleaving and that the sync speed will return to 33-34mbit down and 7mbit up.

I also have a MK3 VDSL2 faceplate arriving in the next few days, I'm quite keen to see if that will make a difference, since I've been using the MK1 faceplate that I had installed by Kelly (openreach contractor) as part of my original FTTC installation with Sky back in 2013.

Edited by dave2150 (Thu 04-Feb-16 14:47:51)

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-16 15:55:09
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dave2150:

I moved for almost exactly the same reasons and so far, apart from OR breaking my internal wiring I'm 200% happy.

All came to a bit of a point at Xmas, I was paying the best part of £100pm, the router and Sky box were both on the fritz, Sky would not replace them, I had the had the evenings and weekends charge, they wouldn’t do anything to reduce my bill or give me better value for money so I quit. Of course at that point I was offered the moon and the stars lol !

The HH5B is OK, the firmware is a bit too locked down for my liking, worse than Sky TBH, but I cant fault the hardware side of it. Throughput seems fantastic, I get a full 80/20 sync, whenever I try it I have not failed to max it out so far....

--
BTInfinity 2 - 79987/20000kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 16:06:08
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by madmart:

I moved for almost exactly the same reasons and so far, apart from OR breaking my internal wiring I'm 200% happy.

All came to a bit of a point at Xmas, I was paying the best part of £100pm, the router and Sky box were both on the fritz, Sky would not replace them, I had the had the evenings and weekends charge, they wouldn’t do anything to reduce my bill or give me better value for money so I quit. Of course at that point I was offered the moon and the stars lol !

The HH5B is OK, the firmware is a bit too locked down for my liking, worse than Sky TBH, but I cant fault the hardware side of it. Throughput seems fantastic, I get a full 80/20 sync, whenever I try it I have not failed to max it out so far....

That sounds like a good line you have there smile

Seems many people have had similar issues with Sky lately - it's a shame as they used to be much better.

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-16 19:44:09
Print Post

That sounds like a good line you have there smile

Seems many people have had similar issues with Sky lately - it's a shame as they used to be much better.

Indeed, I'm only about 20M from the cabinet which in turn is only 100M from the exchange, the building has great wiring as well.

The HH shows:- Maximum Data Rate: 28636 / 92518 smile

Yea, lot of ppl at work have done the same, with the TV package I was a bit worried I was getting the poor relation but it's superb, I miss nothing about sky......

--
BTInfinity 2 - 79987/20000kbps
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 05-Feb-16 14:50:56
Print Post

Looks like DLM updates quickly these days! Interleaving depth has been drastically reduced overnight, restoring the usual 22-24ms ping to bbc.co.uk.

Yesterday - 1163 down/81 up
Today - 877 down/1 up

The downstream rate is still capped at 27mbit though, I guess that will take longer to increase.

Updated line stats: http://imgur.com/a/faF73

Edited by dave2150 (Fri 05-Feb-16 16:41:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to