User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:08:39
Print Post

Throughput Issues, BT Infinity, in the evenings.

[link to this post]

I moved to BT Infinity from Sky Fiber less than a week ago. At first, all was well, I had the same speeds as previously and the latency was roughly 5ms lower, perhaps a lower interleaving setting was applied.

However, since yesterday, I'm getting extremely low speeds for 1-2 hours at a time. Here's a speedtest from a few minutes ago:

Uploads don't seem to be affected, but downloads clearly are.

Hardware setup identical to the perfect FTTC service I was getting from Sky for the last year - NTE5 master socket with BT Openreach supplied VDSL faceplate, 1M RJ11 twisted pair cable to BT Home Hub 5B.

Viewing my line stats from the Homehub, SNR is stable at 6DB for upload and download. I can't view the errors there, but doubt this is the issue.

Is this a common issue with BT - insane congestion in the evenings?

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:12:09
Print Post

Re: Throughput Issues, BT Infinity, in the evenings.

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

embedded images are not allowed. please provide the link.

Also, setting up TBB quality monitoring will probably show if congestion issues are present.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 31-Jan-16 22:12:25)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:27:46
Print Post

Here's your link http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5046140366 which looks like BT congestion.

When you moved from Sky to BT, your DLM profile was reset so you were on an open profile.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:37:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Here's your link http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5046140366 which looks like BT congestion.

When you moved from Sky to BT, your DLM profile was reset so you were on an open profile.

Thanks.

So all the connection specific DLM settings, such as the interleave depth etc, were all lost. This could be the problem then, since I know that my telephone line is mostly all aluminium and I had a high interleave depth with Sky.

Hopefully the DLM will quickly workout the optimum settings for my line, I doubt there's anything I can do to speed this up?

I dont mind loosing a few mbit speed, or loosing the 5ms that I gained from the move, I just want a 100% reliable connection like I had with Sky asap!

I just restarted my Skyhub, which has resolved the issue for now, looks like it must have been an insane number of errors per second to reduce my speed as it did in the speed test linked above.

Before router restart:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 06:00:22
6. Data Rate: 6860 / 32212
7. Maximum Data Rate: 6859 / 37537
8. Noise Margin: 6.0 / 5.4
9. Line Attenuation: 38.0 / 26.7
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

After router restart:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:00:12
6. Data Rate: 6962 / 32393
7. Maximum Data Rate: 7012 / 38846
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.2
9. Line Attenuation: 38.0 / 26.8

Pity I can't view the interleave depth or CRC/FEC stats in the homehub. If this problem continues I can connect up my HG612 to view the detailed line stats, though hopefully DLM will actually do something soon.

I have to question why a DLM reset is done when migrating ISP - surely customers would want their new connection to be as stable as their old one, and not have to go through the retraining period again etc, doesn't make sense to me!

Surely in this day and age they could simply copy all the connection specific settings (sync history, interleave depth etc) and automatically apply those settings when doing the migration.

It was probably the decision of the same person that decided to roll out all these useless ECI cabinets that can't do G.INP!

Oh, just thought I'd mention I am indeed on an ECI cabinet, are there known issues between the home hub 5B and ECI cabinets? As I said my HG612 worked flawless for over a year with Sky.

Edited by dave2150 (Sun 31-Jan-16 22:40:34)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:46:31
Print Post

Unbelievable! You have a HH5B on a ECI cabinet?!?! You would be much better off with a HH5A. I find it hard to understand why BT keep on making this mistake. Possibly the worst problem is that BT tend to "manage" your connection using the BT Agent embedded in the HH5 so if your HG612 has the BT Agent disabled, that would be a better bet anyway.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:55:33
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

TBB quality monitoring will not work on most BT lines because they have a dynamic IP address.

David

Infinity 2 over FTTP from BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:57:27
Print Post

Can't the OP replace the HH with the Sky router?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 31-Jan-16 22:58:48
Print Post

Which speedtest.net server did it select for that test? I see at the time you had an Spanish IP address.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:00:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't know if it's possible to enter the correct username, sorry.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:00:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Can't the OP replace the HH with the Sky router?
it will be locked with sky's user & password and possibly set to MER encapsulation
Basically both are POS The OP would be better off getting a HG612 3b off ebay Or buying a basic modem/router such as the billion 8800nl both are broadcom chipped devices and more importantly will provide easy access to full stats , where as the locked ECI won't without a lot of work,

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 31-Jan-16 23:03:04)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:03:03
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

He has a HG612.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:06:40
Print Post

He has a HG612.
Why has he only posted the partial stats from the BTHH5 POS then? the op should flash the BT HG612 with unlocked FW and then will have the full stats this will save a lot of hassle in determining if there is a line issue or it's down to something else like which dlm stability profile bt have chosen wouldn't it?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:06:44
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

I can be set to run for a few hours when te problem is apparent - the IP address should not change unless the modem is rebooted. The OP just needs to remember to disable it when finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:12:26
Print Post

I recommend you read the entire thread smile
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:12:27
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brightd:
TBB quality monitoring will not work on most BT lines because they have a dynamic IP address.

Configure DynDNS and ust f8lure then smile

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 31-Jan-16 23:57:56
Print Post

Unbelievable! You have a HH5B on a ECI cabinet?!?! You would be much better off with a HH5A. I find it hard to understand why BT keep on making this mistake. Possibly the worst problem is that BT tend to "manage" your connection using the BT Agent embedded in the HH5 so if your HG612 has the BT Agent disabled, that would be a better bet anyway.

Thanks for the replies all.

So there is an issue with using a BT Homehub 5B on an ECI cabinet? Part of the reason I decided to swap to BT was that the router was so much better, gigabit ethernet ports and decent wifi.

I could connect my HG612 left over from my Sky installation and connect that to the WAN port of my Hub I guess. I don't mind doing this for troubleshooting, but long term I'd far prefer one device, rather than two.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-16 00:00:06
Print Post

I have read it, and although it looks like congestion, BT will try and argue the toss regardless, but if the op has the full stats ie errors (and error rates are low) ect, then they are fully armed and can blow holes in the tripe that bt support may spout ,in a bid to hoodwink them, with the usual it's probably crosstalk line

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 01-Feb-16 00:01:30)

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 00:05:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Which speedtest.net server did it select for that test? I see at the time you had an Spanish IP address.

It selected the Gloucester server.

I'm unsure why speedtest.net thinks it's a Spanish Ip address - when I do a IP lookup on my current IP address, it correctly shows Wales, UK, so I think it's just a reporting error on the speedtest website.

I just did another speedtest, and it still reports my ISP as "BT GLOBAL SERVICES SPAIN" - so mostly likely an error.

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 00:10:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:

I have read it, and although it looks like congestion, BT will try and argue the toss regardless, but if the op has the full stats ie errors (and error rates are low) ect, then they are fully armed and can blow holes in the tripe that bt support may spout ,in a bid to hoodwink them, with the usual it's probably crosstalk line

I could well be congestion, though I still think it was simply many thousands of CRC/FEC errors on my line.

As I mentioned in my second post here, once I rebooted my homehub, my speeds went back up to normal etc.

This issue has happened twice since I migrated last Wednesday, the connection becomes unusable until I reboot the router.

I can connect up my HG612 to monitor the line stats - though I'm interested to know what the issue is about using my Homehub 5B on an ECI cabinet - are there widespread problems with this configuration?

I'd very much like to use the home hub 5b longterm, as I far prefer a combined router/modem device, as well as the gigabit ethernet ports etc.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-Feb-16 00:18:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:

I have read it,
What about
In reply to a post by dave2150:
If this problem continues I can connect up my HG612 to view the detailed line stats,

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Feb-16 01:29:47
Print Post

Using the BT Hub 5B isn't the issue... also the Sky Hub uses a similar if not the same chip on the DSL/WAN side anyway...

It may be that there's a capacity shortage on the BT network at your exchange, using third party equipment (including Openreach branded modems) will cause you issue getting BT to help...

I recommend a factory reset of your BT Hub then contact BT for further support.

I would also ask you run this test which runs multiple tests to tell us a little bit more information & also give us a little bit more trust in the test servers.

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 02:08:07
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Using the BT Hub 5B isn't the issue... also the Sky Hub uses a similar if not the same chip on the DSL/WAN side anyway...

It may be that there's a capacity shortage on the BT network at your exchange, using third party equipment (including Openreach branded modems) will cause you issue getting BT to help...

I recommend a factory reset of your BT Hub then contact BT for further support.

I would also ask you run this test which runs multiple tests to tell us a little bit more information & also give us a little bit more trust in the test servers.

With Sky, I was using the HG612 as the modem, which then connected to the Skyhub (SR101). I didn't have their combined router/modem hub which they feature now.

Which test do you mean?

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Feb-16 02:18:55
Print Post

Hi sorry the link I meant to include was the following http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/flashipv4/

The HG612 modem also uses same/similar hardware too !

Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Mon 01-Feb-16 06:27:32
Print Post

I haven't been able to get any speedtest.net server to show full speed at peak time for about a week now. I know my connection is fine however as http://dslreports.com/speedtest does correctly report my speed.

At the end of the day, only real-world usage can really tell you the full picture.

Edited by alexatkin (Mon 01-Feb-16 06:28:22)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(committed) Mon 01-Feb-16 07:54:40
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

I am also on Infinity, It does frustrate me that we all have the same username. However I found no problems with having a Type B hub on a ECI Cab.

I did swap it for my BIllion but this was just so I had better control over the things I wanted to do. I don't get any problems with throughput but I did get an issue where Chrome would hang when using the HH5 and pages would time out - and then around a minute later it would all just fire up again.

I ruled out my Mac PC and tablet before I swapped out the hub. and it has not happened since.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 01-Feb-16 08:02:36
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
I am also on Infinity, It does frustrate me that we all have the same username. However I found no problems with having a Type B hub on a ECI Cab.
What I was getting at is the HH5A is a much better router than the HH5B with the exception that the HH5B has a better modem for Huawei cabs, so my preference would be for people to be sent the HH5A for ECI cabs and the HH5B for Huawei cabs.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 01-Feb-16 08:06:57
Print Post

I think the best way for you to get the same performance as with Sky is to plug the HG612 into the Homehub. Then the only difference is with the backhaul as the modem is the same.

Another thing you can try is to request another Homehub from BT as this one has problems, and hope you get a HH5A.
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 16:01:15
Print Post

Thanks for the replies.

My speed test results are all full speed (matches my connection speed) at all times, apart from the two occasions that the downstream slowed to a crawl (0.2mbit).

What is the difference between the Homehub 5A and 5B? I searched around on google and couldn't find anything concrete.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 01-Feb-16 16:07:31
Print Post

What is the difference between the Homehub 5A and 5B? I searched around on google and couldn't find anything concrete.
They are made by different manufacturers. The 5A has a Lantiq chipset and the 5B has a Broadcom chipset. Broadcom chipsets are well known to be better and Broadcom invented the technology used by G.INP which is why Broadcom modems and street cabinets (Huawei) support G.INP.

I have found doing some throughput testing that the HH5A performs better as a router than the HH5B, although the HH5B has a better modem when paired with a Huawei cabinet.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 02-Feb-16 07:04:47
Print Post

1 - You moved to BT who have an inferior network to sky to just get a newer router? I am on sky fiber pro happily using my 8800nl (in modem mode) with my asus ac68.
2 - The hh5b is a chipset mismatch with a eci cabinet, with that said tho so is the hg612. So if the hg612 was fine I assume the hh5b would be also as they both broadcom chipsets.
3 - A line can get 1000s of errors a day and still be fine, ES is the more important figure, especially SES. Hook up the hg612 and accrue some stats for a few days so we can offer a better diagnosis. Also get TBB BQM running.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 14:20:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
1 - You moved to BT who have an inferior network to sky to just get a newer router? I am on sky fiber pro happily using my 8800nl (in modem mode) with my asus ac68.
2 - The hh5b is a chipset mismatch with a eci cabinet, with that said tho so is the hg612. So if the hg612 was fine I assume the hh5b would be also as they both broadcom chipsets.
3 - A line can get 1000s of errors a day and still be fine, ES is the more important figure, especially SES. Hook up the hg612 and accrue some stats for a few days so we can offer a better diagnosis. Also get TBB BQM running.

I moved to BT for the following reasons:

1. Much better deal (£12.50 a month for a year, £125 mastercard)
2.The Sky router is extremely poor for this day and age - only 100mbit network ports, poor wireless range and no 5Gz wireless. The BT router is superior in every way.
3. Sky had a habit of adding services to my account that I didn't agree to. £10 for Sky+, which considering I don't have Sky TV is rather strange, and more recently £4 a month for Sky Talk evenings + weekends. I didn't request/agree to these services, they were simply automatically added, which is terrible service IMO. I had to spend almost an hour on the phone with Sky to cancel these unwanted automatic additions to my service each time.

I don't believe BT have an 'inferior' network' to Sky at all - perhaps in the past but BT have been great for my friends/family in the last year or so, which was another reason I decided to swap.

After I swapped to BT a week ago, I initially thought I was seeing some congestion in the evenings (see OP) but have now determined this was simply the DLM line reset removing interleaving from my line, so I imagine I was getting thousands of CRC/ES causing my speedtests to show less than 1mbit download. Why the router didn't resync itself though is quite strange.

Now that DLM has started to intervene and interleaving has been enabled, I haven't seen any congestion at all.

Edited by dave2150 (Thu 04-Feb-16 14:46:44)

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 14:29:00
Print Post

I think the best way for you to get the same performance as with Sky is to plug the HG612 into the Homehub. Then the only difference is with the backhaul as the modem is the same.

Another thing you can try is to request another Homehub from BT as this one has problems, and hope you get a HH5A.

I have now connected my HG612 to check my line stats, please see the link below:

http://imgur.com/a/YRwvQ

Note that the HH5B was performing well the last few days, after interleaving was turned on. Though it seems to have applied a very high interleaving setting - I now get 40ms to BBC. With my Sky connection, I had 24-26ms to BBC.co.uk for the last two years, so clearly that was a stable setting. It's also set a sync cap of 27mbit - which also seems rather conservative, since my Sky service was 33-34mbit for the last two years, perfectly stable.

I'll leave my HG612 connected for a couple weeks so I can monitor line stats - I just hope DLM will decrease the level of interleaving and that the sync speed will return to 33-34mbit down and 7mbit up.

I also have a MK3 VDSL2 faceplate arriving in the next few days, I'm quite keen to see if that will make a difference, since I've been using the MK1 faceplate that I had installed by Kelly (openreach contractor) as part of my original FTTC installation with Sky back in 2013.

Edited by dave2150 (Thu 04-Feb-16 14:47:51)

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-16 15:55:09
Print Post

I moved for almost exactly the same reasons and so far, apart from OR breaking my internal wiring I'm 200% happy.

All came to a bit of a point at Xmas, I was paying the best part of £100pm, the router and Sky box were both on the fritz, Sky would not replace them, I had the had the evenings and weekends charge, they wouldn’t do anything to reduce my bill or give me better value for money so I quit. Of course at that point I was offered the moon and the stars lol !

The HH5B is OK, the firmware is a bit too locked down for my liking, worse than Sky TBH, but I cant fault the hardware side of it. Throughput seems fantastic, I get a full 80/20 sync, whenever I try it I have not failed to max it out so far....

--
BTInfinity 2 - 79987/20000kbps
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Thu 04-Feb-16 16:06:08
Print Post

[re: madmart] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by madmart:

I moved for almost exactly the same reasons and so far, apart from OR breaking my internal wiring I'm 200% happy.

All came to a bit of a point at Xmas, I was paying the best part of £100pm, the router and Sky box were both on the fritz, Sky would not replace them, I had the had the evenings and weekends charge, they wouldn’t do anything to reduce my bill or give me better value for money so I quit. Of course at that point I was offered the moon and the stars lol !

The HH5B is OK, the firmware is a bit too locked down for my liking, worse than Sky TBH, but I cant fault the hardware side of it. Throughput seems fantastic, I get a full 80/20 sync, whenever I try it I have not failed to max it out so far....

That sounds like a good line you have there smile

Seems many people have had similar issues with Sky lately - it's a shame as they used to be much better.

Standard User madmart
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Feb-16 19:44:09
Print Post

That sounds like a good line you have there smile

Seems many people have had similar issues with Sky lately - it's a shame as they used to be much better.

Indeed, I'm only about 20M from the cabinet which in turn is only 100M from the exchange, the building has great wiring as well.

The HH shows:- Maximum Data Rate: 28636 / 92518 smile

Yea, lot of ppl at work have done the same, with the TV package I was a bit worried I was getting the poor relation but it's superb, I miss nothing about sky......

--
BTInfinity 2 - 79987/20000kbps
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 05-Feb-16 14:50:56
Print Post

Looks like DLM updates quickly these days! Interleaving depth has been drastically reduced overnight, restoring the usual 22-24ms ping to bbc.co.uk.

Yesterday - 1163 down/81 up
Today - 877 down/1 up

The downstream rate is still capped at 27mbit though, I guess that will take longer to increase.

Updated line stats: http://imgur.com/a/faF73

Edited by dave2150 (Fri 05-Feb-16 16:41:35)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to