User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 23-Feb-16 15:10:28
Print Post

Re: Myths exploded

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Paul

Agreed that is a noisy line.

Yet away back when we were eventually transferred from the Cross-Bar circuits in our local exchange to the System X circuits, involving also a number change, the noises were much, much louder than those, to the extent of being deafening - I kid you not!

A mix of engineering tones, screeches etc, at very high volume.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 23-Feb-16 15:14:08
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

What makes you think it will be a "B" model?
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Feb-16 15:17:32
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
What makes you think it will be a "B" model?

I remeber reading somewhere that BT was no longer handling Type A models and ever since I've only heard of Type B's being sent to new/existing customers... even those on ECI cabinets (which is odd)

and even if they do still handle Type A's, I would think they would make sure the DSLAM and CPE chipsets match... specially after last years G.INP balls up...

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 23-Feb-16 15:23:06
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Well, we'll see. The order was stalled, so a new order has been made just now and the Homehub should arrive by Friday 26th.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Feb-16 17:01:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Did you hear the HH4 syncing up at 1min into the audio clip LOL, it dropped the connection when doing the quiet line test, so something isn't right.

Another classic symptom.
Well when I phoned BT the start of December last year with this issue I told them everything that I replaced, i.e. I replaced the NTE5A xDSL MKIII Filter with a brand new one along with replacing all the phone extension cables that I was allowed to touch, leaving the cable going from the BT80B to the NTE5A Master Socket, they did some tests their end and did say the fault wasn't in our home but in the BT Network itself (was loosing the PPP connection while keeping sync), and where after the line was reset it was all fine for a month or two where it plays up again.
Now for the last month or two we are loosing sync as well so it must be a line issue due to we are still hearing the odd crackle, granted it hasn't been as bad as it was in that audio clip which was taken Dec 11th 2015.
TBH this line issue has been happening on and off since we joined BT, when we was with Zen our connection was stable around either side of the fence of 6 Mbps and no line noise what so ever, and of course our line card got released when we left Zen, got dumped on ADSL Max due to no ADSL2+ Line cards available, and while on that we had no line issues, only when we got put on the ADSL2+ Line card started having issues, it got to a point where I think the replaced the Line card at the exchange with another one, which was better but still had issues.

Basically this is how its all connected up...
  1. The line comes into our house into the first BT80B Junction Box half way up our wall (yes we have two of these, I will explain later why)
  2. That then goes into the second BT80B Junction Box on the skirting Board.
  3. It then uses 1 pair of twisted cables (I think CW 1308) down from the skirting board under the carpet along under the door to our hallway where the NTE5a Master Socket is located and is connected to it.
  4. Now on the Phone Face Plate we have two sets of wires coming from it.
    1. One goes back down that Cable linking the 2nd BT80B Junction Box and the NTE5a Master Box using the 2nd pairs, and at the 2nd BT80B box they have Gel Clamped it to a phone cable to out main Phone Base.
    2. That 2nd cable from the Phone Face Plate goes onto a splitter for the downstairs and upstairs phone lines (we have 4 Sky HD Boxes that needs to connected to the phone line.
  5. The xDSL MKIII Filter Plate has a CAT5e cable from its internal 2 Pin IDC connector going under the floor up to under our stairs where it goes upstairs to the middle of our house where its connected to the HH4A via a short home made cable (CAT5e) with a RJ11 one end and a RJ45 the other.

That's how its wired up, TBH if I was allowed to touch that cable between my cable (link between the 2nd BT80B and my NTE5a Master Socket) then it would of been done better and neater.

Oh BTW the NTE5a and the cable between the two are mine, NTE5a got burnt out during a thunder storm about several years back where the static discharge killed some thing tracks on the board, BT said we would be charged due to its an internal faults so I just brought one from amazon along with a reel of CW1308 from RS and just replaced the lot from the BT80B Box, and it was fine for many years while with Zen without any issues on the line, I think I had posted all this in another post on these forums.

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
And yeah I know its a waste of time having the line reset every time it gets bad (i.e. every couple of months) but I would rather do that then have to pay the £130 callout charge when they find nothing at that time.

Maybe you should be seeing if BT retail will raise a Boost task, you shouldn't be paying for that, and hopefully you'll get an engineer who listens.
What's a Boost Task?

TBH we have had some nice engineers in the past, sadly some of those were contractors like Kelly's for example, one of those guys didn't want to either tack the cable round the door frame, neither did he want to pull up two floor boards to lay the cable beneath the floor, no he just placed the cable loose under the carpet, so after a year or two of people walking through the door of the room people sometimes steps on the cable splitting the sheath of the cable and it now untwisted there.

We will see what happens with the so called estimated date of End of Feb + 2 weeks updating the database and for to get activated before I progress this, because FVA doesn't use any of the copper line, so no point wasting money and time on something that doesn't get used and becomes redundant.

Paul
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Feb-16 17:31:13
Print Post

I would keep quiet about replacing the NTE!

Got a function?
We've got it covered!
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Feb-16 17:56:43
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
I would keep quiet about replacing the NTE!
Well BT already know and a couple of the engineers assumed I had replaced the whole box due to it being a newer version and was level LOL.

There exact words was "It ok, but did you change the Master Socket" where I replied why they was asking, and they then said "due to its all level and laughed" and then just checked the wiring and said that its very good wiring and that was it.

I still have the old burnt-out scorched one here some place just is case I have to put that back on, LOL

Back when the thunder storm took it out we never had anything connected to it apart from the Phone Base, and the Home Choice (TV Streaming Box) has been removed from that a few years before then, so the storm only took out the master socket and the phone base and I mean killed it dead LOL, I am glad nobody was using it at the time, but there was a big high pitch pop and loads of burning smell from the master socket and phone base, if I recall several other lines also was affected, I was also told something tripped at the exchange end as well due to we had to go to the phone box to report this, due to after I bridged the burnt out tracks in the broken NTE5a box it was still dead even in the test socket.

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Feb-16 19:11:18
Print Post

A point of information smile. The test socket and everything behind it is an NTE5. The NTE5A is purely the removable faceplate.

There is also an NTE5B which is a faceplate with no front socket but with the IDC connectors on the back. Suitable for fitting in lofts and such places where no phone siting is required.

The interstitial VDSL2 filter plate is just that. As far as I know it is not designated NTE5-anything.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Feb-16 19:49:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A point of information smile. The test socket and everything behind it is an NTE5. The NTE5A is purely the removable faceplate.
Actually I think you might be wrong there, there has been changes to the NTE5 Master Socket over the years and the connection on the back inside had changed hence the "A"

At one point the internal connection terminals was screw terminals, then they was redesigned using the IDC Terminals and then was redesigned again and stuff got moved about to how they are now.

The only parts that have remained the same is the Test Socket for compatibility with current faceplates.

Also the Phone face plate is called "1036885 Faceplate" or something like that.

There is also an NTE5B which is a faceplate with no front socket but with the IDC connectors on the back. Suitable for fitting in lofts and such places where no phone siting is required.
Yeah, I think I saw the images for that, but due to there not being much information about that or where to actually buy them, I put that off as a myth tongue

The interstitial VDSL2 filter plate is just that. As far as I know it is not designated NTE5-anything.
That is correct as far as I know and is often listed as "Genuine BT vDSL Faceplate Filter".

Paul
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 23-Feb-16 20:05:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Here's something new, I have a text and an email confirming the order and delivery date. Looks like it's really happening.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to