User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:49:39
Print Post

Re: New firmware for HH5A

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Just because G.INP isn't active on a line don't mean the CPE doesn't support it.

As mentioned earlier, someone with capable equipment had G.INP removed from the line... also I mentioned before that lines that have Interleaving applied to them seem to not get G.INP until a reset of the line is done...

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:57:45
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

More results have been posted. I haven't seen one person showing G.INP on the HH5A.

I saw this
Yes, I would have thought the ECI modems and HH5A would have received a firmware update to support G.INP in both directions. But it appears that this did not happen, and no-one knows why not. OpenWRT running on either of those devices can do it, so I think it isn't a hardware limitation.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:07:06
Print Post

Right, that doesn't say that currently the devices 'don't' support G.INP 'downstream' just says that there current 'stock firmware' doesn't support it in both directions and that using 3rd party firmware it can.

So are you saying theres a big conspiracy or that BT Groups folks are as stupid as many online make out and they can't figure out how to activate/implement the correct specifications.

AFAIC I ca understand the ECI modem not being made capable due to ECI probably not giving a rats ass (they got paid right) but the HH5a is where BT will & have been working hard with frequent firmware updates and trials (it seems) too.

Now I will make a note of your furmula and put it to the test, I may pop on ebay and purchase an ECI & HH5a to test on my connection which currently my HG612 reports as being G.INP enabled (downstream only)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:15:08
Print Post

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy to see G.INP on the ECI modem and the HH5A. I would also be very happy to see upstream G.INP on my connection again too smile

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:37:02
Print Post

I would rather them apply the same level of error correctiom to both sides of the connection...

While G.INP adds error correction without the rise in latency in a direction, it does still cause a delay which cna disadvantage a few when playing very time sensitve games online...

It's amazing how much difference a fraction of a second can make to the outcome of a meeting with an enemy in a shooter... it seems to me they see me before I see them due to the my upstream being fast path and my downstream currently having an interleave depth of 8 (albeit G.INP)...

It was a depth of 16 until 2 weeks ago and I saw a slight improvement in my gamingwhen it dropped but obviously it seems that ADSL is still the best for gaming due to its many profile settings.

My alternative, which seems likely my next move after falling out with my xbox is to move to slightly lesser time sensitive games.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Mar-16 11:43:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
... also I mentioned before that lines that have Interleaving applied to them seem to not get G.INP until a reset of the line is done...
That's not correct, unless your use of the word "reset" is not the normally understood one. The first sign most people have had that G.INP had been activated on their line is that DLM removes interleaving and their sync rises several Mbps.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:06:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

by reset I mean so the line is reset back to fast path and then when errors arise it then puts the line on to a G.INP profile...

It's seems that once a line has a an interleaved profile in place it won't swap it unless any further errors occur...

When G.INP was first rolled out lines on the cabinet enabled would have there profiles reset ( or manually set perhaps ) to take advantage of G.INP.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:20:20
Print Post

No, it's far more dynamic now. For example http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4471390-re-new...

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:32:16
Print Post

Whats the link supposed to prove??

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:33:45
Print Post

That G.INP is more dynamic than your description of it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to