User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DooGie
(experienced) Wed 16-Mar-16 20:57:36
Print Post

New firmware for HH5A

[link to this post]

Sorry if this has been posted before but I was just looking at the Boot Log of my HH5A and noticed a firmware update on 23rd February.

Previous firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A)

New firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.1 (Type A)

Anyone else noticed this?

Freeserve > Pipex > ADSL24 > COMS > BT Infinity 2
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 16-Mar-16 21:19:52
Print Post

Re: New firmware for HH5A

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

Still doesn't support G.INP

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User DooGie
(experienced) Wed 16-Mar-16 21:57:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

True. However that doesn't concern me as after the cabinet I'm connected to was G.INP enabled I suffered a drop in speeds.After a post on the BT forum about this BT contacted me asking if I would take part in a trial. I agreed and within 3 days my speed was back up to what it was before.

Currently my average down speed is 74 Mbps and upload 18 Mbps, so I really can't complain.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 16-Mar-16 22:13:33
Print Post

Yeah, that sounds like G.INP on an unsupported modem alright.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Mar-16 11:39:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by DooGie:
Sorry if this has been posted before but I was just looking at the Boot Log of my HH5A and noticed a firmware update on 23rd February.

Anything obviously different DooGie?
Standard User DooGie
(experienced) Thu 17-Mar-16 19:51:46
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alnath:

Not noticed any difference at all.

I'm just pleased it hasn't messed anything up smile

Standard User Al1264
(member) Fri 18-Mar-16 11:35:10
Print Post

Opinion stated as fact yet again by this poster.

Correct facts:
Not known/proven to fully support G.INP
Generally believed / accepted not to support upstream G.INP
May support downstream G.INP

My own experience suggests that it does support downstream G.INP but the evidence is empirical so I am not stating this as known fact.

Edited by Al1264 (Fri 18-Mar-16 11:39:01)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-16 11:46:08
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

Yes, agreed....

Not quiet sure why the obsession with stating G.INP isn't supported on this device or the even implying that BT's equipment is compliant with SIN 498 which if unfamiliar requires CP Equipment to be complient with 'Downstream' G.INP but remains optional on Upstream...

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 11:53:12
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Al1264:

Opinion stated as fact yet again by this poster.

Correct facts:
Not known/proven to fully support G.INP
Generally believed / accepted not to support upstream G.INP
May support downstream G.INP

My own experience suggests that it does support downstream G.INP but the evidence is empirical so I am not stating this as known fact.
Well you can prove it for yourself as it says in my sig:

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 11:57:26
Print Post

You have proven in the past that your HH5A does not support G.INP on your line. Others seem to have evidence that their HH5A does support G.INP on their line.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 11:58:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I'd be happy to see that evidence smile

As it says in my sig, prove it to yourself.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:03:17
Print Post

I can't - I don't use an HH5A and never said I did... But, others have posted what they believe is strong proof in the past. If just one person came on here and said theirs did would you believe it?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:04:32
Print Post

Bung us your postcode and I'll bring one over to prove it to you laugh

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:07:22
Print Post

LOL. I have to say I did try the check with my Billion but I didn't have much time when I did it and the BT IP Profile I got back was only correct to 2 dec places of a Megabit and so wasn't accurate enough - must have taken the wrong option on the BT tester somewhere.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:12:33
Print Post

This is the easiest way to get your IP Profile
https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=...
I get The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 73.62 Mbps, so I round it up to 73620 which works in the Ginp formula.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:28:52
Print Post

OK, will give that a try later.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Mar-16 12:45:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alnath:

Not noticed any difference at all.

I'm just pleased it hasn't messed anything up smile

Aye thats enough i guess lol
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 13:01:42
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Yes, agreed....

Not quiet sure why the obsession with stating G.INP isn't supported on this device or the even implying that BT's equipment is compliant with SIN 498 which if unfamiliar requires CP Equipment to be complient with 'Downstream' G.INP but remains optional on Upstream...
Perhaps because discussions of G.INP on the HH5A and ECI modems have been banned on the BT-Sponsored forums presumably because they have something to hide.

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 18-Mar-16 20:15:42)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Mar-16 15:10:40
Print Post

Had this a while now, as was triialing it, think it was Dec/Jan it was updated.

It seemed to improve wireless a lot for myself

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:28:22
Print Post

So, according to the formula it seems my line isn't using G.INP. The stats on the 8800AXL have in the past had numbers under INP but looking at it now it is 0.00 so it appears the G.INP has turned itself off for some reason - and the connection is about as good as it has ever been but at 48138 down and 16112 up with a latency of about 9ms.

Not a lot of point in testing the HH5A at the moment as it looks like DLM has decided my line doesn't need G.INP.

EDIT : missed an "n't" in the first sentence... Sorry

Edited by ian72 (Fri 18-Mar-16 17:32:55)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:31:36
Print Post

So the formula says G.INP is on?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:32:10
Print Post

No, formula says it is off.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:32:56
Print Post

Ok, off it is smile

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:33:31
Print Post

Sorry, edited as missed 2 key letters and an apostrophe...
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 18-Mar-16 17:34:03
Print Post

wink

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-16 22:02:07
Print Post

Checked, HH5A - not got G.INP based on formula.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 18-Mar-16 22:04:55)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:15:16
Print Post

Perhaps because discussions of G.INP on the HH5A and ECI modems have been banned on the BT-Sponsored forums presumably because they have something to hide.

Hmm, yet another bold statement lacking any supporting evidence... also quiet a strong acusation to be making about BT and also other 3rd parties...

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:24:18
Print Post

Once again, I have all the evidence I need smile

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:26:21
Print Post

Once again, you've still failed to share any of this evidence with us.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:30:39
Print Post

"Us"? Who is this "us" you are part of?

I have already advised people how to check for G.INP on their own connection. You can do it yourself, what more do you need?

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:49:39
Print Post

Just because G.INP isn't active on a line don't mean the CPE doesn't support it.

As mentioned earlier, someone with capable equipment had G.INP removed from the line... also I mentioned before that lines that have Interleaving applied to them seem to not get G.INP until a reset of the line is done...

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 00:57:45
Print Post

More results have been posted. I haven't seen one person showing G.INP on the HH5A.

I saw this
Yes, I would have thought the ECI modems and HH5A would have received a firmware update to support G.INP in both directions. But it appears that this did not happen, and no-one knows why not. OpenWRT running on either of those devices can do it, so I think it isn't a hardware limitation.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:07:06
Print Post

Right, that doesn't say that currently the devices 'don't' support G.INP 'downstream' just says that there current 'stock firmware' doesn't support it in both directions and that using 3rd party firmware it can.

So are you saying theres a big conspiracy or that BT Groups folks are as stupid as many online make out and they can't figure out how to activate/implement the correct specifications.

AFAIC I ca understand the ECI modem not being made capable due to ECI probably not giving a rats ass (they got paid right) but the HH5a is where BT will & have been working hard with frequent firmware updates and trials (it seems) too.

Now I will make a note of your furmula and put it to the test, I may pop on ebay and purchase an ECI & HH5a to test on my connection which currently my HG612 reports as being G.INP enabled (downstream only)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:15:08
Print Post

Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy to see G.INP on the ECI modem and the HH5A. I would also be very happy to see upstream G.INP on my connection again too smile

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 01:37:02
Print Post

I would rather them apply the same level of error correctiom to both sides of the connection...

While G.INP adds error correction without the rise in latency in a direction, it does still cause a delay which cna disadvantage a few when playing very time sensitve games online...

It's amazing how much difference a fraction of a second can make to the outcome of a meeting with an enemy in a shooter... it seems to me they see me before I see them due to the my upstream being fast path and my downstream currently having an interleave depth of 8 (albeit G.INP)...

It was a depth of 16 until 2 weeks ago and I saw a slight improvement in my gamingwhen it dropped but obviously it seems that ADSL is still the best for gaming due to its many profile settings.

My alternative, which seems likely my next move after falling out with my xbox is to move to slightly lesser time sensitive games.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 19-Mar-16 11:43:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
... also I mentioned before that lines that have Interleaving applied to them seem to not get G.INP until a reset of the line is done...
That's not correct, unless your use of the word "reset" is not the normally understood one. The first sign most people have had that G.INP had been activated on their line is that DLM removes interleaving and their sync rises several Mbps.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:06:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

by reset I mean so the line is reset back to fast path and then when errors arise it then puts the line on to a G.INP profile...

It's seems that once a line has a an interleaved profile in place it won't swap it unless any further errors occur...

When G.INP was first rolled out lines on the cabinet enabled would have there profiles reset ( or manually set perhaps ) to take advantage of G.INP.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:20:20
Print Post

No, it's far more dynamic now. For example http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4471390-re-new...

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:32:16
Print Post

Whats the link supposed to prove??

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:33:45
Print Post

That G.INP is more dynamic than your description of it.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:35:29
Print Post

It does no such thing... it's just a generic comment...

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:38:58
Print Post

This is nonsense
It's seems that once a line has a an interleaved profile in place it won't swap it unless any further errors occur...
I have already posted proof.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-16 12:40:40
Print Post

No you haven't posted any proof... your the only user here posting nonsense.

Standard User timl
(committed) Tue 22-Mar-16 19:49:32
Print Post

I think my HH5a must have had G.INP enabled downstream even though the formula says it's not.

On Sunday before my HH5a re-synced the maximum sync rate it ever managed was 60Mb or 55Mb on my HG612. Then after the re-sync the HH5a synced at 65Mb. For interest I swapped the HH5a out and installed the HG612... it now syncs at 61Mb and reports that G.INP is enabled.

For me that's enough to suggest to me that my HH5a is capable of G.INP on downstream.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC load balanced with BT Infinity 2 and BT TV
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 22-Mar-16 19:53:35
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

Lol

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Mar-16 22:31:13
Print Post

Does the furmula work when your HG612 reports G.INP???

Not that I would take the formula as the definite indicator of G.INP... there could be a difference to G.INP on non Broadcom chipped devices that lead to different outcomes for the furmula.

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-16 10:39:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by timl:
I think my HH5a must have had G.INP enabled downstream even though the formula says it's not.

On Sunday before my HH5a re-synced the maximum sync rate it ever managed was 60Mb or 55Mb on my HG612. Then after the re-sync the HH5a synced at 65Mb. For interest I swapped the HH5a out and installed the HG612... it now syncs at 61Mb and reports that G.INP is enabled.

For me that's enough to suggest to me that my HH5a is capable of G.INP on downstream.

My max attainable download went up by 6Mbit on my Type A the other week but my max upload went down by nearly 5Mbit at the same time. My sync speed is also a Mbit or so slower now which is all very odd.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 23-Mar-16 11:02:16
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

PD

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 23-Mar-16 22:15:59)

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Mar-16 11:55:34
Print Post

PD

Excellent, thanks for that, its made our lives much better.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 10-Apr-16 22:44:56
Print Post

I'm using a different modem (TP Link Archer VR900) and get

Downstream : 32410/35000 = 0.926
Upstream sync is 6077 but of course the profile is 10000

How would I verify if I have G.INP in either direction (the router should "support" it but as to whether down or both ways I have no idea....
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 10-Apr-16 23:11:44
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Are you connected to a Huawei cab or an ECI cab?
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 10-Apr-16 23:24:10
Print Post

Huawei
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-16 23:30:04
Print Post

I would love to see any evidence of G.INP on HH5A. I can vouch to say mine does not currently have it. I am not saying it's impossible I've just not seen any concrete evidence of it.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 10-Apr-16 23:33:11
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

I've seen others saying their ratio is 92.6% also so you're not alone. I suppose there's an exception to every rule smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 10-Apr-16 23:36:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

My HH5A also gives the ratio of 96.79% as well as a much reduced sync compared to my HH5B, so I'm quite sure it doesn't support G.INP.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Apr-16 23:59:53
Print Post

If you read the Kitz forum, it appears modems which have firmware that currently support DS G.INP only, don't follow the same ratio as other modems.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-16 07:46:23
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

You might want to read the Kitz forum again as it doesn't say that, it's talking about ECI cabs in that case.

I was referring to others on Huawei cabs having a ratio of 92.6%.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to