User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michaeldjcox
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-16 09:49:17
Print Post

Re: No ADSL filters seem to work

[re: B31] [link to this post]

I made a recording and placed it on youtube.

Not my best work but you can clearly hear the issue in the first minute

I go on to try a different ADSL filter and cable

(Numerous filters, routers and cables have been tried)

ADSL crackle on my voice line despite filters
Standard User michaeldjcox
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-16 10:45:43
Print Post

[re: michaeldjcox] [link to this post]

Sigh

The problem was bad on Sunday when I made the video and bad on Monday.

Engineers arrives Tuesday and the problem has gone.

He is not interested in seeing my recorded evidence and states the tests are all returning ok - until the problem returns there's not much he can do.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jun-16 14:59:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by michaeldjcox:
Sigh

The problem was bad on Sunday when I made the video and bad on Monday.

Engineers arrives Tuesday and the problem has gone.

He is not interested in seeing my recorded evidence and states the tests are all returning ok - until the problem returns there's not much he can do.
Welcome to our world tongue
We have had this on and off for the last couple of years, especially after loads of rain and wind.

But >> ours << at the time sounded worse, you could also hear the HomeHub syncing up at 1 min into the recording.

Every time an engineer turned up (conveniently on a dry day) it was fine and no noise, but the engineer did listen to the whole recording, they then flagged it as an intermittent line termination fault that was external, that way we wasn't charged.

Over the last few months several homes on our phone pole and cabinet has had line issues and have had several engineer visits and one visit resulted in the engineer going to the cabinet where she tidied up some of the loose connections, and also did some work at the exchange, this seemed to of also solved our noise on our line.

So if or when you report it, report it as an intermittent fault, that way they know its not always there.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-16 16:22:05
Print Post

Crackly noises usually are a mix of almost random frequencies (Fourier Analysis) and generally contain a wide range of frequencies - starting in the low Audio Frequencies and spreading upwards into, for this purpose, the frequencies used by xDSL/Broadband communications, at generally lowering power levels.

------

The ADSL Filter/Dongle/Splitter goes "straight-through" on the MODEM/xDSL socket, so the MODEM sees/hears" everything" arriving at its own input socket.

-------

The Filter is in the PHONE socket path only, and by definition must pass the AF frequencies essential for Speech to be heard and transmitted from the Phone Had-set; and also in this case, the AF frequencies of the crackles.

To put it another way, that filter is not designed to prevent AF (low frequency) signals getting to the phone, so the LF/AF component of the crackle "must get through".

The Filter is an HF REJECT Filter, preventing the xDSL/Modem/HF signals getting to the phone.

-------

I have taken such a Filter apart to confirm the above.

Straight through on the MODEM/XDSL side.

Filter is only in the PHONE side; and its components have very small values, so are associated with HF Rejection, rather than AF Acceptance.

-----

Particularly as you have already tried other filters and cables, the source of the crackle is almost certainly elsewhere.

The filters are relatively simple circuits and very few components, unlikely to develop faults in normal operation.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to