User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-16 18:25:47
Print Post

Re: replacement HH5 router

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It's on a separate network without access to any other devices. You can also opt out of the service albeit that it's done centrally and can apparently take some time to be actioned at the device.

I have thought of one thing that's missing and that is a the separate guest WiFi network as some routers provide which means you don't have to share the main WPA2 password with guests.
Standard User johnb2008
(regular) Sat 09-Apr-16 21:26:21
Print Post

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

I don't think you can change the DNS in the HH. That is the reason why I stopped using my HH3 and have never tried the HH5 that they sent me a few months ago; I wanted to use another DNS after BT went through a flaky spell with their own DNS (which the HH is locked to).
Standard User regeger
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-16 23:30:26
Print Post

[re: regeger] [link to this post]

Hi All,
Got activated today, and very fast too
BT sent me HH5 type B and looks like I'm getting roughly 67Mbps down and 18 Mbps up
So far, it's looking good.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Apr-16 13:05:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by regeger:
Hi All,
Got activated today, and very fast too
BT sent me HH5 type B and looks like I'm getting roughly 67Mbps down and 18 Mbps up
So far, it's looking good.

Type B, job's a good'un no need to swap unless you are paranoid about security or you want loads of settings to fiddle with.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 22-Apr-16 14:15:04
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

I tried a TPLink Archer VR900 and then realised in many ways it was less good than the free HH5a! I had had some issues with the HH5a but after complete recabling and sw reset they seem resolved.

I wouldn't use it for the vdsl part on my long line though - it suffers from disconnections and slower sync, whilst the HG612 did not (and was even master than the VR900). I gather the HH5b is good though (and perhaps even the HH5a might be after the infamous sw upgrade I'm yet to see )
Standard User ironnapper
(committed) Sun 24-Apr-16 21:33:16
Print Post

Is that wireless too, I find it seriously erratic.

When it was installed iphone was 50 plus easily and can still get that if you mess about and reboot etc but then without warning it's back to between dial up and 2mb.

Disabled the smart wireless, tried with 5gz, tried remaning the SSID and various other things.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Apr-16 22:27:26
Print Post

[re: ironnapper] [link to this post]

I find the wireless on the Type B awful, after a clean reboot I see the full 37 Mbps download (I am on 40 Mbps).

After an hour or so, it drops down to below 10Mbps speeds.

I have to reboot to fix it.

These issues are exclusive to the 5Ghz network 2.4 Ghz is always full 37 Mbps for me, which is weird as that should be slower.

On the Type A, after a clean reboot I see the full 37Mbps. After around 3 days of uptime, this slows down to around 20Mbps on 5Ghz. Again 2.4Ghz is always the full speed.

The reason why most users do not have any issues with the HomeHub, is out of the box, 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz have the same SSID. Thus, most devices (unless next to the hub) are on 2.4Ghz, where there are no performance issues or slowdowns. The automatic channel selection at 2.4Ghz does a good job of avoiding interference so 2.4Ghz performs quite well, usually giving the full 40Mbps speeds and higher.

I personally use another router, but I only set this up a few days ago.

5Ghz definitely has issues on both HomeHubs (in my experience). That said, I only noticed these issues recently as I have got out of the habit of running speedtests.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Apr-16 10:13:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

My Type B seems ok on 5GHz, the router and PC are as far apart as they could be in my house while being on the same floor with a brick wall between them

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5276826840

I've only been using it 11 days though so ill keep and eye on it, I'd been using a Type A up to then.
Standard User whatever
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-16 20:24:29
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I junked the HH5 after a while. I tried everything, every possible solution found online, but 5ghz just would drop through the floor speed wise after hours or a day on, requiring a reboot or channel change. Then it would come back full speed, only to die again later. I could actually see the TX rate was sometimes barely in single figures.

I ended up with a Netgear D7000 and haven't looked back since. Uptime is fine, and no dropouts on the wireless since.

The HH lives in a drawer.
Standard User regeger
(newbie) Thu 19-May-16 13:39:43
Print Post

After reading the posts on this forum and others on think broadband, I decided to buy Netgear 7800 nighthawk modem router.
Managed to buy it from Amazon in lightning deal for £199, arriving tomorrow
Will report back on performance
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to