User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 10:56:15
Print Post

BT Price hike – speed upgrade?

[link to this post]

BT’s price rises are coming shortly and they have suggested that those on the ‘up to 38mb’ package will be upgraded to the ‘up to 52mb’ service. Does this also mean an increase in the upload speed as well?

I’m part way through a yearlong contract (moved to BT last November) and I know that we can leave the contract, penalty free if we want to, but although I'm not happy of course with the price increases, I think the upgrade to the service will take some of the sting out of it?

I’ll keep an eye on my speeds for that increase coming soon? smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 10:58:46
Print Post

Re: BT Price hike – speed upgrade?

[re: sam_nospam] [link to this post]

No it remains at 10.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-16 11:10:58
Print Post

Have you had an email notifying you of the price changes?

it includes a link to the BT website where you get a "personalised" offer.

My 12 month term ends in August, and was offered 12 months infinity 1 for £10 per month (i.e. the same as my current deal) or 12 months infinity 2 for £17.50 per month.

Both are pretty good deals. I'm going to take the cheaper one, but not until just before the price rise (i.e. i don't want to waste 2 months of my current offer by starting the new 12 month term today.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-May-16 11:24:20
Print Post

Unless you are connecting at 39999Mbps or thereabouts, so speedtest results well above 35Mbps, you won't get an increase in download speed either. Does your router show the connection speed?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59546/15321kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 11:36:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Unless you are connecting at 39999Mbps or thereabouts, so speedtest results well above 35Mbps, you won't get an increase in download speed either. Does your router show the connection speed?

Thanks for the reply.

My average download speeds have been pretty constant at about 37 megs down and just over 9megs up since I switched to BT last year.

If we are not automatically going to get the increase in speed, then obviously the 'sting' of the increases will definitely be felt... I may have to give BT a call if/when I get the notification about the increases (not had it yet).

Thanks for the info smile
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 11:42:10
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
Have you had an email notifying you of the price changes?

it includes a link to the BT website where you get a "personalised" offer.

My 12 month term ends in August, and was offered 12 months infinity 1 for £10 per month (i.e. the same as my current deal) or 12 months infinity 2 for £17.50 per month.

Both are pretty good deals. I'm going to take the cheaper one, but not until just before the price rise (i.e. i don't want to waste 2 months of my current offer by starting the new 12 month term today.

Not had a letter from BT yet but that's good if they are offering deals like that.

I'm not sure which one of those deals I'd go for if I were to be offered them. Infinity 2 with the extra download/upload speed is pretty tempting.

I dropped Sky TV/Broadband last year and finding myself watching just about all my TV and stuff via the net so the extra speeds would be handy.

Thanks for the info.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 11:45:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No it remains at 10.

Thanks info smile

If there's a deal, like has been suggested by others, then I think I might be tempted to go for Infinity 2.

The extra speed for uploads is handy to get all your stuff into the cloud smile

Cheers!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-May-16 11:48:38
Print Post

That sounds like you are connecting at the maximum, so should get an increase if moved to the 52Mbps product. What modem/router do you have for getting stats? If it's a Home Hub, is it a 5 type A or a 5 type B.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 11:52:22
Print Post

That sounds like you are connecting at the maximum, so should get an increase if moved to the 52Mbps product. What modem/router do you have for getting stats? If it's a Home Hub, is it a 5 type A or a 5 type B.

Yes, I use the BT Hub 5 (not sure if it's A or B?... will that be in the menu somewhere?) as supplied by them.

I'll jump into the Hub now and have a closer look around (think I've only been into the hub twice since I set it up last year wink )
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 11:55:28
Print Post

Have a look in Troubleshooting > Helpdesk
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 11:57:28
Print Post

Update: ... bit of a surprise (for me).

Just logged into the BT Hub (it's been a while) and it's reporting my download/upload speeds as -

39.01 Mbps / 9.765 Mbps

I'll have a look and see which model the Hub 5 is

Cheers!
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 11:58:36
Print Post

Have a look in Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

Just logged into the Hub 5 now (been some time since I last looked)... will check that out... thanks!
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 12:02:45
Print Post

Found the info about the Hub....(thanks Batboy smile )

The info is shown as ...

4. Board version: BT Hub 5A

Just wondering are there much differences between the 5A and 5B models?

It looks like I may be hitting the theoretical limit for the package I'm on?

There's a lot more detail about the Hub in the settings than I realised... must look closer now smile
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 12:04:34
Print Post

This looks interesting?... from the detailed information about the Hub 5A

7. Maximum data rate: 21437 / 81227

Tasty smile

Thanks to all for the info and help
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 12:08:57
Print Post

Check out the attenuation and the noise margin too.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 12:11:26
Print Post

Check out the attenuation and the noise margin too.

Here's the info from the Helpdesk menu for those two in my Hub 5A

8. Noise margin: 14.5 / 19.2
9. Line attenuation: 23.5 / 18.4

Cheers
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 12:11:51
Print Post

The main difference between the 5A and the 5B is that the 5A is good if you're on an ECI cab and the 5B is good if you're on a Huawei cab as it supports G.INP. This may change if BT manage to fix G.INP on ECI cabs.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 12:14:12
Print Post

The main difference between the 5A and the 5B is that the 5A is good if you're on an ECI cab and the 5B is good if you're on a Huawei cab as it supports G.INP. This may change if BT manage to fix G.INP on ECI cabs.

All noted.... I seem to remember downloading the info about my local cabinet, just before I got hooked up to BT ... I'll dig around and see if I can find it

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 12:15:16
Print Post

It looks like you have an exceptionally good line given that rather high attenuation.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 12:19:59
Print Post

It looks like you have an exceptionally good line given that rather high attenuation.

Had a BT engineer here moving my line during some work to the outside of the property recently and he commented that my box was 'just around the corner' (I've not bothered looking for it, I'll take his word for it smile )
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 12:34:02
Print Post

Oh, my mistake, you're attenuation isn't as bad as I thought. The HH5 presents them as up/down not down/up. I think you should see 60-70 Mbps down and 15-19 Mbps up on Infinity 2 as a guess.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 12:48:34
Print Post

Oh, my mistake, you're attenuation isn't as bad as I thought. The HH5 presents them as up/down not down/up. I think you should see 60-70 Mbps down and 15-19 Mbps up on Infinity 2 as a guess.

Thanks for the update wink

I'll wait and see if I hear from BT about the increases. At the moment, for me, an upgrade to the Infinity 2 package would be good, particularly as I seem to use the net for just about everything now days, including watching TV etc.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 13:07:27
Print Post

Obviously its always better to see what www.dslchecker.bt.com estimates for your line rather than my guess wink
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 13:16:03
Print Post

Obviously its always better to see what www.dslchecker.bt.com estimates for your line rather than my guess wink

Just tried that and got ..

Downstream - High = 79.4 Low = 61.2
Upstream - High = 20 Low = 20

Will have to wait and see if there's any deals or offers made by BT if/when they send info about the increases but again, the upgrade to Infinity 2 looks tempting smile

Cheers
Standard User dazb73
(newbie) Sun 08-May-16 14:05:00
Print Post

Currently out of Contact with BT been with them 4 years and all they could offer me was £39 with line rental, i expected better than that. So now looking for a new Provider Unlimited Usage for £30 a month.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 14:07:18
Print Post

[re: dazb73] [link to this post]

What speeds do you get?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-May-16 14:23:25
Print Post

So it now just comes down to what you want for the upstream, and how much you want to pay. You will certainly get 50Mbps'ish on the new Infinity 1, but clearly a lot more on Infinity 2 plus the higher upstream.

Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 14:58:37
Print Post

So it now just comes down to what you want for the upstream, and how much you want to pay. You will certainly get 50Mbps'ish on the new Infinity 1, but clearly a lot more on Infinity 2 plus the higher upstream.

Yes, I think if I am offered a deal, then the Infinity 2 package would seem the better of the two options.

If the upstream on Infinity 2 is anywhere near the 20 as advertised, then the chances are will be happy... having said that, I seem to do ok now with the 9 megs I get at the moment but always handy to have more for getting the stuff into the cloud.

Cheers
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 17:40:10
Print Post

Your Max Data rate of 21437 suggests you will sync at 199xx or so, with a throughput of around 19Mbps. I would be surprised if it was much lower than that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 17:43:26
Print Post

Update: - I think the BT sales team must be watching this forum as I've *just* had the email informing about the changes in July and telling me about the additions (up to 52 megs download/extra cloud storage etc.) that I can expect with the changes smile

I also got an invitation to take up a couple of other offers and after logging into my BT account, there's a few additional ones over the up to 52 megs offering including the upgrade to BT Infinity 2 and the other things that go with it for ... like the increased Cloud storage etc.... just like was mentioned by some in this thread for £22.50 per month.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them up on the Infinity 2 deal smile

Thanks for all for the info and help.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 08-May-16 17:52:37
Print Post

Well, if they are watching - beware the BT cloud. If you don't use it often enough, it deletes all your data without warning and it's gone. They used to have Digital Vault which replaced the free webspace. Both are gone, lost all my data without a trace. I use Onedrive and Google Drive now.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 17:57:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by sam_nospam:
Update: - I think the BT sales team must be watching this forum as I've *just* had the email informing about the changes in July and telling me about the additions (up to 52 megs download/extra cloud storage etc.) that I can expect with the changes smile

I also got an invitation to take up a couple of other offers and after logging into my BT account, there's a few additional ones over the up to 52 megs offering including the upgrade to BT Infinity 2 and the other things that go with it for ... like the increased Cloud storage etc.... just like was mentioned by some in this thread for £22.50 per month.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them up on the Infinity 2 deal smile

Update to the Update :

I've just been back on line and accepted the offer from BT of Infinity 2.

I've been given an activation date for the upgrade of 10 May 2016

Again, thanks to all who replied and for the help and info... much appreciated. smile
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 18:01:01
Print Post

Well, if they are watching - beware the BT cloud. If you don't use it often enough, it deletes all your data without warning and it's gone. They used to have Digital Vault which replaced the free webspace. Both are gone, lost all my data without a trace. I use Onedrive and Google Drive now.

Hi .. .thanks for that... good tip.

I tend to use OneDrive and Google drive myself but recently (I'd forgotten, after I'd switched to BT, that they offered cloud space as part of the package) I've done duplicate backups in BT cloud,,, always handy to have plenty of cloud storage these days.
Standard User sam_nospam
(committed) Sun 08-May-16 21:59:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Your Max Data rate of 21437 suggests you will sync at 199xx or so, with a throughput of around 19Mbps. I would be surprised if it was much lower than that.

Thanks for the info. When I was signing up for the deal (Infinity 2) the estimates given were very close to what you suggest smile

P.s ,,,, ever heard of or had anything to do with HMS Onyx? .... just curious smile

nil carborundum illigitimus
Standard User SuperOwl
(regular) Sun 15-May-16 12:47:28
Print Post

Just had a look at my emails and noticed I have the offers mentioned in this thread. I signed up for BT at the start of Feb moving across from Sky. Unsure if to go for infinity 2 at £17.50 or stick with infinity 1 at £10 currently paying £15 but think that includes weekend calls.

Any one able to help on what I might be able to expect if i did go for infinity 2?

6. Data rate: 9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate: 12093 / 45630
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 9.3
9. Line attenuation: 23.9 / 18.4
10. Signal attenuation: 23.8 / 17.5

I think the stats above are the right ones to help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-May-16 12:58:08
Print Post

[re: SuperOwl] [link to this post]

Very little gain from jumping to Infinity 2 on that line, best to go for Infinity 1 and wait for the eventual upgrades from the up to 38 Mbps to up to 52 Mbps version

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SuperOwl
(regular) Sun 15-May-16 13:11:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Guessing 7 means I could only get 45mb on the line?

But on the dsl checker it says

Down Clean H 69.1 L 53.6 - Up H18.2 L 12.2

Down impacted H 52.4 L 30 - Up H 14.3 L 6.2
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-May-16 17:02:35
Print Post

Yes that's the line limit.

How much are you paying now? My £10 per month was going up to £12.10 per month, so the £10 I was offered made it a good deal. I was nearly at the end of my current offer too so timing was excellent.

If you do go for the recontracting it obviously starts a new 12 month term but you'll get the extra 5Mbps in a couple of days as it instantly places an order for a speed change.

Kris

BT Infinity
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User SuperOwl
(regular) Sun 15-May-16 17:11:13
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

I am paying £15 but that includes weekend calls. So might be worth it since we hardly use the phone.
Standard User gt94sss2
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 15-May-16 17:54:09
Print Post

I think the myoffers link only changes the price/speed of the broadband element - you would continue to get the included weekend calls
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to