User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sat 01-Oct-16 08:09:39
Print Post

Re: Information about the BT Business Hub 6 (= SmartHub?)

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Good morning!

It may be that the results from my googling for "BT Business Hub 6" have misled my minimal brain.

The BT Home Hub 6 (which appears also to be called "SmartHub" by BT) was announced, I find, at the end of June/beginning of July, and I had presumed that the Business equivalent (just a firmware improvement?) would be available by now.

If it is not yet available, then the questions in my original post are moot...

I, too, have seen the {blue} light from the BH5 - v. pretty, but less so its change to reddy/purple when the BT line is intermittently faulty!

Edited by John_Gray (Sat 01-Oct-16 08:38:48)

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sat 01-Oct-16 10:10:11
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
Sir - you are casting doubt on whether the BT Business Hub 6 is actually not a business-grade router?!

They put business customers on a HH3 - so it would be the first IMO that would be.

Maybe Sarah is in Aus today? tongue

The HH6 home version has many more features than you would expect for a bog standard ISP modem. I like the DNS,VPN and other tweaks (with the IPv6)

But if I was a business customer, I'd agree with you and do what Andrew suggested.

I have a new router from Talk Talk Business sat here, but I am still using my Billion as main and the "Super Router" as a backup. Because A I want a better piece of kit and 2 if there is a fault, as you know, they will ask me to connect it up.

Any other business would do the same?

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 01-Oct-16 10:15:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Oct-16 12:44:37
Print Post

Very much casting doubt, past posts on previous devices have suggested none of the BT options match the SME stuff available elsewhere.

One option using the BT Business Hubs is to get a block of static IP addresses and use of these to feed a business grade Ethernet router, and with many of these you can have multiple WAN interfaces for fail-over, with the fail-over options varying from a simple basic broadband from another operator, USB 4G dongle to a satellite solution with a small generator to keep basic access going even during prolonged power outages when even a local exchange may finally run out of power (or be under 10 feet of water).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sat 01-Oct-16 16:33:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

23prince and Mr Saffron: thanks!
I'm rather limited about what I can do to influence matters, but with your advice I suspect that any thought of using BT Business Hub n in my context can be thoroughly scuppered.

Sarah: would you have any suggestions for a competent business router other than the Draytek 2860? The Netgear R7000 springs to mind, but I understand that in another post you were cheerfully rude about its user interface, if nothing else...
If nothing else appeals, I suspect it's Draytek time again.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 01-Oct-16 17:38:28
Print Post

What's wrong with Draytek?
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 01-Oct-16 20:53:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Usually shipped with firmware that needs to be immediately updated.
A bewildering array of devices to choose from.
Price.
Support could be better.
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sat 01-Oct-16 21:14:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Perhaps I should have slightly reworded it as:
"I suspect it's time for Draytek again."
?

We have a 2760 which I quite like, apart from the wobbly wireless aerials.

At least you get a decent User Guide with the 2860 - 822 pages, if I remember correctly!

Edited by John_Gray (Sat 01-Oct-16 21:15:47)

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Oct-16 20:18:31
Print Post

There's always the Fritzbox 7490 ADSL/VDSL built in lots of features & also acts as a PBX so you can run extensions, call filtering, multiple voicemail, voip & physical lines all thru your router. You can also blacklist incoming & outgoing calls.

There's also some nice mobile apps for remote access to check who's called, listen to answerphone.

Oh it also act as a NAS via USB both internally & via Internet.

Costs £200 but its been the best router I've ever bought
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to