User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 23:50:01
Print Post

Re: Bandwidth Usage

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hypertony:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Like Andrew says if it's unlimited you don't need to really worry about your usage. You will have an idea based on what you do on your connection.

Well, yes. But I'd like to see if we can move to a cheaper package as we need to manage our budget. No point paying for something higher if you only use 15-20GB a month.

So go with something like SSE - the fibre is free with them - if you use that much then seems fair to go for a very low cost provider.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Nov-16 10:20:14
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mml:
If I understand you right, you are only considering metered package from BT (25 GB I think)? Are you not considering other suppliers?
But the point is, it is not possible to make an informed decision as whether one needs an unlimited deal or can get away with a limited deal if they find one that is cheaper without the information on current data usage. With one desktop, two laptops, two tablets, two phones, several internet radios etc to monitor that is not easy to do locally. Even more so when you also have a Youview box which uses the internet a lot, but that usage is not counted towards the cap.

By comparison I am currently considering moving from an unlimited 3G mobile data package to a 4G deal limited to 3GB per month. This I can do as I have been able to see my monthly usage over the past couple of years swing between 500MB to a max of around 1.3GB (bearing in mind that faster 4G speed may cause adaptive video streaming to use a higher quality and that I often make use of free wi-fi hotspots instead when out on the road).

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Nov-16 10:32:17
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
... it is not possible to make an informed decision as whether one needs an unlimited deal or can get away with a limited deal if they find one that is cheaper without the information on current data usage. With one desktop, two laptops, two tablets, two phones, several internet radios etc to monitor that is not easy to do locally.
I think the answer on that setup is fairly obvious wink smile. And without expensive non-mass market kit, impossible.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 26-Nov-16 10:53:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are many open source tools available to achieve this but obviously you need a method of capturing the data from the router. My router supplies this as standard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RRDtool
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Nov-16 11:43:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Do any of them identify multicast protocol data usage (as some of the Youview box usage is) separately? Or rather split it down by local IP address so all the Youview box usage can be identified separately?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 26-Nov-16 11:56:47
Print Post

probably easier to start off with what graphs do you want to display?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Nov-16 12:50:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Don't need a graph. Just need a per month value of usage split by device.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Nov-16 12:51:39
Print Post

Whereas all the OP wants is a simple monthly figure.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Nov-16 13:22:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But if they are using a Youview box a third-party single, simple monthly figure won't tell them what they need to know. I repeat, Youview box usage is not counted towards any usage cap.

Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Sat 26-Nov-16 15:49:33
Print Post

SO go with a free offering like SSE and then usage high or low makes no odds
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to