User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Wed 04-Jan-17 22:19:59
Print Post

Re: DNS woes

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Similar issue tonight. Dead DNS. Just configured my raspberrypi as DHCP server instead of the HH5a so at least it could dole out a decent DNS server to the far-too-many client devices I have. There's been glitches in the past. one too many and relatively easy to work around. Far easier than manual reconfig (a local caching DNS is a step for another night)

Performance is degraded this evening though on throughput - down to 10-17 Mbps from the typical stable 32 Mbps. VDSL sync is fine, error free, solid at 35 Mbps for 50 days so pretty sure this is BT congestion.

I'm surprised this has gone over 24 hours.

| Update.. speed normal now. none of the usual laptops/PCs were doing data rx/tx but perhaps one of the far-too-many systems was...... will give them benefit of doubt and hope issue is restricted to DNS.

Edited by planetf1 (Wed 04-Jan-17 22:21:47)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-17 22:32:26
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

Looks "ok" here http://tbb.st/1483568980248708255
Standard User 10forcash
(regular) Thu 05-Jan-17 07:51:26
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

A local DNS Cache won't help unless you configure it to ignore the TTL values of results returned from authoritative servers - which isn't a recommended action. Where it will help is reducing lookup times (mine is currently <8mS) and giving the ability to 'black hole' domains - such as advertising, tracking and malicious etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to