User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 22-Jan-17 23:29:45
Print Post

Re: More price Rises..

[re: jamespeters] [link to this post]

It's been about 8 months since I joined back with BT but no, I still have the HH5B from the last time I left in contract. I did get a new customer deal about a month later and cashback and a card etc, They re-connected me quick and then sent out a HH6.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 23-Jan-17 05:59:25
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

these rises seem worse than usual, I think BT are really feeling the pinch on these sports rights.

£2.50 increase for infinity is massive.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 06:28:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Worse than usual?

You are aware that Infinity 1 increased £3.50 and Infinity 2 increased by £2.50 last year. In percentage terms, larger increases than this year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:33:50
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes I would agree and I would also say No Andy. I recall last time it was £2.50 for Infinity 2 and £1 for line rental. The price went to £48,99 which is what I currently pay. In terms of Value it's not competitive anymore. I admit this time there is no line rental increase but even so - £18,99 is a mad amount to pay for a landline anyway. I am amazed Virgin have ANY landline customers considering they charge£19 a month and landline is optional. Even if it costs more when you don't have a landline I am sure it's still worth it. When you can't get FTTP or FTTPoD then any way to ditch the landline on FTTC would be good.

Referenced from this source http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2016/04... (although I will say this bit "BT says customers who signed up to broadband promotional deals won't see broadband prices go up." is piffle), my price was put up 3 months into my new deal"

I refer to my TTB connection, It's £45.85 inclusive of VAT. It's the first time I have used a landline day to day but because of the excellent Talk2Go app and the fact I get unlimited mins to landlines and mobiles included I now have a mobile phone with little to no mins (200) a month and unlimited data so I use that app and it gets put to my landline bill, which is included.

With deals like that (and the fact they are getting towards the realms of AAISP now) BT no longer seems of any value. You know I think I recently saw something that said AAISP has dropped their prices, but i've never seen a rise.

As for the sports rights etc, pfffft. I refuse to pay for this, and I know I have done before but now I know that's the reason for the rise, no more.

I guess it's down to the customer to decide, but considering they are now going to charge for BT Sport on their mobile and broadband service, I am sure most people will be annoyed.

Could be worse, When I was with Sky they put the price up in month 4 of my 12 month "half price for leaving Virgin deal" by £15 a month, and with Sky you are not allowed to cancel. So now I get all their channels online for free and I feel 0 guilt about it!

Edited by 23Prince (Mon 23-Jan-17 09:41:41)

Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:47:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Yes I would agree and I would also say No Andy. I recall last time it was £2.50 for Infinity 2 and £1 for line rental. The price went to £48,99 which is what I currently pay.

No Andy? This doesn't quite make sense...

You saw a £3.50 increase last year and based on what you say, your monthly fee went from £45.49 to £48.99 which was a 7.7% increase. In 2017, you will see a £2.50 increase from £48.99 to £51.49 which is a 5.1% increase.

In real terms, the line rental + broadband increase in 2017 is lower than in 2016.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Mon 23-Jan-17 09:48:35)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:52:02
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

Sorry i was trying to say No Andy I wouldn't say it was worse this time around.

I won't see any increase in 2017. I've already given my 30 days and I am looking around. That said I may just dump the line all together for now.

But I do see your point
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:58:43
Print Post

I'm not sure what the latest schedule is, but I was expecting to see single order GEA-FTTC this year.

The problem you'll have is that for years, ISPs have subsidised their FTTC pricing with the line rental. So I wouldn't expect to see major savings from just being able to order FTTC without taking the line rental, but there should be some cost saving.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 10:36:25
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

True. But If someone does not use more than 1TB and they are forced to pay what will now be over £50 a month - then AAISP is a sensible switch. Or someone with that sort of reputation.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 23-Jan-17 11:32:39
Print Post

You did read that AAISP have dropped a price.

They introduced Home::1 FTTC 40/10 at £10pm premium over ADSL2+ and £15pm premium for 80/20. At the beginning of September they reduced the 80/20 premium to £10 and dropped the 40/10 product. Upgrading current customers (on request?) on that of course.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 54999/14466Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Mon 23-Jan-17 12:28:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming that. It's the first time i've seen a price drop in an ISP which has the right business model and sustains it's pricing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to