User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 06-Jun-17 07:49:52
Print Post

Re: BT Ripping Off Old Lady (end of contract rise)

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

You can get BT to put you as an authorised person on the account. Normally an easy action for you mother and sister to initiate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Jun-17 08:22:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Not even on Infinity 2; just ADSL as per my original post.

All she is getting is Unlimited Broadband, Line Rental and an all calls package.

I'm ian hours drive away from Mum's, so not ideal if I can't do it remotely.

Wasn't sure from your OP as you say DSL and that could be VDSL which cost wise would add up. As everyone has said £60 is not right for ADSL - there is something else going on there or BT have made a mistake that needs to be rectified. Let us know when you see the bill as either there are a lot of extras or your Mum is not on ADSL.

Unlimited ADSL plus anytime calls should be about £50 at standard rate. Infinity 1 plus anytime calls would be around £56.50 and Infinity 2 plus anytime would be about £63.

For the usage your Mum has you could use TalkTalk on ADSL . Not something I would normally suggest but for bargain basement they can come in pretty cheap.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Jun-17 09:57:08
Print Post

negotiation...

1. Login to MyBT and see if any specific offers, but you need to find out what is actually been paid for
2. Once you know if any of the 'extras' can be cancelled phone up and negotiate they may not budge

There used to be a way that contracts were automatically renewed, but that was ruled as not allowed as people were permanently locked in 12 month or longer contracts, now the onus is on the public to chase once you go outside the minimum term.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodmass14
(member) Tue 06-Jun-17 10:00:25
Print Post

I thought BT had a very cheap broadband package for those on benefits/looking for work and the elderly. £13 for 3 months or something.
Standard User woodmass14
(member) Tue 06-Jun-17 10:01:08
Print Post

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Found a link to it.
http://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBas...
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Jun-17 23:22:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Been into my Mum's myBT account and my recollection of £60 a month was a bit over the top, but not by that much:

ADSL Unlimited (inc line rental): £40.99
Any time calls: £8.99
BT Virus protect: £4.00

The BT Virus Protect can go, but that's still £50 for ADSL broadband.

Pulse8 will do the broadband & line rental for £25.
JL is £22.50 for the first 12 months and £26.50 thereafter plus a fiver for anytime landline calls.
Plusnet is £25 for the first 12 months and £27.98 thereafter plus £8 for anytime landline & mobile calls.

All look a lot cheaper than staying with BT

The offers on MyBT aren't remotely tempting.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Jun-17 00:02:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
If we are to migrate her, my sister wants minimal fuss, so I think we need to keep my Mum with a BT based supplier. So willing to consider other options other than BT or JL, but would prefer to go with someone who provides a free router.
Pulse8 is based on TalkTalk Business Wholesale. (Which is very different from and better than TT Retail).

I have phone-only with them which is simple Openreach WLR3, not TalkTalk. If I migrated the broadband I think the phone would go over as well.

Also I can't remember if they provide a free modem/router. You may be best ringing them about both questions.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-Jun-17 00:03:34)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Jun-17 00:38:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Pulse8 is based on TalkTalk Business Wholesale. (Which is very different from and better than TT Retail).

I have phone-only with them which is simple Openreach WLR3, not TalkTalk. If I migrated the broadband I think the phone would go over as well.

Also I can't remember if they provide a free modem/router. You may be best ringing them about both questions.

Spoke to Adam this afternoon. Phone line can be kept on BT WLR3, but broadband would then be on SMPF with TTB or we can migrate both onto TTB. Cost is the same either way.

No free router although I can reuse one of my old ADSL routers, so not a major issue.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Jun-17 01:02:42
Print Post

Great. And thanks for that info. It may help others smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to