User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Nov-17 16:21:59
Print Post

Re: Samknows query on website loading

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Where in the interface does it show which sites were tested? I couldn't find an option to display that.

The Box is there to test things for Ofcom to get a comparative view over a representative user base - the fact we get to see the data is in some ways an added bonus to thank us for our involvement. Ofcom is who define what should be tested working with Samknows. I'm guessing Twitch hasn't registered enough on their radar to test, they test Netflix and Youtube but don't test Amazon Prime Video which is a pretty big supplier as well.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Nov-17 16:32:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Where in the interface does it show which sites were tested? I couldn't find an option to display that.

Oh it doesn't display sites we go to, it does show Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer, FIFA, shown in this image below.
Here it show the very basic info.

In reply to a post by ian72:
The Box is there to test things for Ofcom to get a comparative view over a representative user base - the fact we get to see the data is in some ways an added bonus to thank us for our involvement. Ofcom is who define what should be tested working with Samknows. I'm guessing Twitch hasn't registered enough on their radar to test, they test Netflix and Youtube but don't test Amazon Prime Video which is a pretty big supplier as well.

I do agree with you, I was just hoping for a bit more info that's all.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Nov-17 16:44:21
Print Post

That is not customised based on what you do and it isn't website visits (which is what I thought you were talking about) but specific technology tests (for instance Netflix testing the streaming capabilities).

We do though have 2 different versions of the interface. I did used to have one that looked like yours but I no longer have the checkboxes and just have 6 dropdown sections where I can select the specific metric for each of the 6 "tiles". They may well be doing some A/B testing where some users have one version and some the other.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Nov-17 19:21:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Possibly.

I have just spoken to SamKnows and the adding of Twitch and Amazon Prime Video are on their to-do list, but it requires a lot of setting up.

So maybe later on it will be added smile

Paul

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Nov-17 19:59:33
Print Post

Testing actual Twitch streaming and its two types of testing...the broadcaster and the viewer

OR

creating something that is similar in theory to the packet patterns used by twitch?

If I recall the Netflix testing uses the API that should mean the file is served from a CDN, and thus on the larger providers this will often be on-net.

Given all the changes on speeds in advertising the next few months are not an ideal time to deploy changes to how you test connections, and increasing test options will increase the data consumption too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Nov-17 23:29:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Testing actual Twitch streaming and its two types of testing...the broadcaster and the viewer

OR

creating something that is similar in theory to the packet patterns used by twitch?

If I recall the Netflix testing uses the API that should mean the file is served from a CDN, and thus on the larger providers this will often be on-net.

Given all the changes on speeds in advertising the next few months are not an ideal time to deploy changes to how you test connections, and increasing test options will increase the data consumption too.

Not sure.

All they said was the following:
The Whitebox itself does the video streaming by connecting to the video server as a client. It uses your internet connection to connect to the video server so ultimately it is still testing what kind of video performance you get from your connection specifically.

Not too sure how it will work, due to some top streamers on Twitch get priority over lower level Twitch streamers.

Paul

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to