User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AnthonyFlwr
(committed) Sat 01-Dec-18 14:27:08
Print Post

Terrible speed less terrible after (pointless) upgrade?

[link to this post]

Hi

I was on BT's Superfast Fibre Unlimited package which I believe was up to 50Mbps. Our connection is rubbish and we averaged a fairly steady 6Mbps only. I spoke to BT a number of times over the years, usually when they called to see if I wanted to upgrade and it was always determined this really was as good as they could provide. The last time we spoke was 2 months ago.

Then the Black Friday emails started to come offering their Superfast Fibre Plus (67Mbps) packaged and at first I thought I'd ignore it, as it's pointless. Then figured for the addition of just £2 a month it's probably worth it for the better support options.

We didn't need a new hub and it was activated the other day. We now have a steady average speed of 12Mbps. This is all tested the same way, same sort of time of day etc.

So my question is; why would we suddenly get faster speeds and why couldn't they provide these before. We have been paying for up to 50Mbps for ages and was always told 6Mbps was the max but apparently not? Calling them and asking feels pointless as they seem very reluctant to go off script. I would just be interested if someone had a logical reason for this.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Dec-18 16:59:04
Print Post

Re: Terrible speed less terrible after (pointless) upgrade?

[re: AnthonyFlwr] [link to this post]

How long was it since you disconnected and reconnected to the hub? Once you sync low for any reason, a thunderstorm in the area can cause this, it doesn't automatically increase afterwards.

The other cause could be that a problem ongoing for a while at some time can cause the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) to cap the maximum you can achieve, well below what you had before. If that had happened, this change would have cleared the cap as a change of Openreach product automatically resets DLM to (almost) new line status.

ISPs can request DLM resets if you get the right person on the phone, but not all agents know or can do that. It might have been all that was needed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Dec-18 00:55:45
Print Post

You're wasting £2 / month. Your line's unchanged. All they did is remove a 55 Meg cap at their end. The increase of speed is fortuitous & the result of the DLM acting on previous errors on the line.

The support on the faster Fibre will be no diff from before.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sun 23-Dec-18 09:27:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by AnthonyFlwr:
Hi

So my question is; why would we suddenly get faster speeds and why couldn't they provide these before. We have been paying for up to 50Mbps for ages and was always told 6Mbps was the max but apparently not? Calling them and asking feels pointless as they seem very reluctant to go off script. I would just be interested if someone had a logical reason for this.

Best way to check what speeds you should be able to get is via the BT DSL Checker input your number and you will get a result. It will be listed as:

VDSL Range A (Clean)
VDSL Range B (Impacted)

I hope this helps.

CJT.

On BT Broadband up to 55 Mbps

Previously on NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User cliftonhill
(regular) Thu 28-Feb-19 12:03:05
Print Post

Re: Terrible speed less terrible after (pointless) upgrade? *DELETED*

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

Post deleted by cliftonhill
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Feb-19 12:18:19
Print Post

[re: cliftonhill] [link to this post]

Support making it up again

The DLM system should be pretty much full speed in the first few days, and will slow you down if it feels the need to do so to reduce the number of errors. Some features may get switched on to improve connection speeds e.g. G.INP available on some cabinets

The key to the puzzle initially is not speed test results, but what speeds the router is connecting at.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to