User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User michaelh
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Dec-18 20:46:14
Print Post

BT Wifi hotspots

[link to this post]

I've got BT internet at home - when I'm out I get notifications on my phone encouraging me to log in to bt wifi. However, it asks for a username and password - where do I find these? Obviously I've the info for the router at home, but where do I find/set one for these hotspots?

Edited by michaelh (Sat 08-Dec-18 20:46:56)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Dec-18 22:14:13
Print Post

Re: BT Wifi hotspots

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

The same as you use to log onto your account on the BT web site.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User mking90031
(learned) Sun 09-Dec-18 05:45:08
Print Post

[re: michaelh] [link to this post]

Hi,

Just a word of caution: be careful where you enter your details because it can be very easy to setup a hotspot that imitates BT wifi connections. I tend not to use public wifi unless I ABSOLUTELY have to and in this day you shouldn't really need to as most (if not all) phones have their own data connections. You can also carry around your own hotspot in the form of mobile broadband devices if you don't want to use your phone's own data allowance.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 330Mb/sec Down & 20Mb/sec Up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Dec-18 08:46:18
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
You can also carry around your own hotspot in the form of mobile broadband devices if you don't want to use your phone's own data allowance.
Wouldn’t that be cumbersome, carrying two devices unless you have a dual sim phone, and wouldn’t the hotspot also require a data allowance?

Overall, more expensive than having a greater allowance in the first place?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User mking90031
(learned) Sun 09-Dec-18 09:29:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

You do raise a valid point on both fronts. I am looking to get rid of my dongle next year when the contract expires. I, originally, got the hotspot because I kept on running out of data and had poor signal on my phone. Then I upgraded my data allowance on my phone and at first I had the two in case I still ran out but now I have enough allowance on my phone that I barely use 10% of my allowance per month. I might even upgrade my data allowance to the unlimited data that I've heard mentioned on here but my phone contract doesn't expire till next September & who knows what will be available by then....

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 330Mb/sec Down & 20Mb/sec Up
Standard User Alucidnation
(regular) Thu 14-Feb-19 15:44:28
Print Post

Surely if you log on to your own hotspot at home first, it automatically connects to one when you are out and about?
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-19 19:29:41
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

No it doesn't. You have to login each time you connect. This is made easier / automatic if you have the BT WiFi app installed on your device though the Windows Mobile version of the app is now defunct and instead I have a shortcut to the website login with my details pre-entered which I can use instead.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-19 22:01:15
Print Post

If you install the BT WiFi app - go to settings and install the connection profile, it will install the certificate enabling you to connect to BTWiFi-X, a secure mechanism to access the hotspots. You can set the device to not automatically connect to the other unsecure networks.
  Print Thread

Jump to