User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User microbar123
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-19 22:36:10
Print Post

Regraded from BT Superfast Fibre 1 to BT Superfast Fibre 2

[link to this post]

Was due to regrade today from BT Superfast Fibre 1 to BT Superfast Fibre 2
The status of my order is completed but I cant see any difference in speeds.
And my router has not reset.

My Question is would my router reboot on a regrade as its still showing as being up for 14 days now.

When can I expect a change in speed would my line now be on a training period thanks.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Mar-19 23:19:37
Print Post

Re: Regraded from BT Superfast Fibre 1 to BT Superfast Fibr

[re: microbar123] [link to this post]

The router might re-sync. It would not re-boot.

There is no such thing as a training period in the sense that a normal human such as you and I understand the word. It was a myth on ADSLx and is specifically not in the product specification of FTTC by Openreach. See BT SIN 498, Section 2.2.

The 10 days on BT Wholesale circuits is and always was a time when the lowest sync in that period is recorded and becomes the Maximum Stable Rate (MSR), from which the Fault Threshold Rate (FTR) is calculated as a percentage. What that percentage is on FTTC I don't know. On ADSLx at one time it seemed to be 70%, and later 80%.

Those figures are used within BT Wholesale (and by ISPs using them) to assess the seriousness of problems reported by users.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(learned) Sat 09-Mar-19 11:35:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The router might re-sync. It would not re-boot.

There is no such thing as a training period in the sense that a normal human such as you and I understand the word. It was a myth on ADSLx and is specifically not in the product specification of FTTC by Openreach. See BT SIN 498, Section 2.2.

The 10 days on BT Wholesale circuits is and always was a time when the lowest sync in that period is recorded and becomes the Maximum Stable Rate (MSR), from which the Fault Threshold Rate (FTR) is calculated as a percentage. What that percentage is on FTTC I don't know. On ADSLx at one time it seemed to be 70%, and later 80%.

Those figures are used within BT Wholesale (and by ISPs using them) to assess the seriousness of problems reported by users.

Its now 24 hours since my supposed regrade from infinity 1 to 2 but my speeds are exactly the same in my router. The sync rate is 9.99/43.99 it has been this speed for the last 6 month. Looks like the regrade was a waste of time. or will it pick up in the next few days ?.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Sat 09-Mar-19 12:34:43
Print Post

What is the full output from the router stats page? What was the predicted speed?
(learned) Sat 09-Mar-19 13:32:58
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
What is the full output from the router stats page? What was the predicted speed?

Maximum data rate:
11369 / 55327
Data rate:
9.99 Mbps / 43.99 Mbps which has been my normal speed for months befre regrade
they said I should get around 65
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Mar-19 15:11:46
Print Post

So you are on the 55/10 product and syncing at 43.99 Mbps down and 9.99 up Mbps so two things

1. The regrade will not increase the download speed, that would only happen if you were syncing at 55 Mbps, i.e. the cap would be lifted.
2. The upload looks to be at the max sync, but given the downstream speed it is possible you won't see any difference in upload

Another possibility is that the physical regrade has not happened yet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-19 17:39:25
Print Post

Your line was only capable of 43.99 on an "up to" 55Mbps package. Hence if you go on a "up to" 80Mbps package (infinity 2) the line still wont go over the current speed.

Does that make sense? Good news you get 14 days cooling off, if the price is less revert back.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Mar-19 18:41:18
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

With a maximum data rate of over 55Mbps showing? Why is the actual only 43.99?

The OP was asked for the full line stats. AIUI the hub does provide noise margin and attenuation?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 09-Mar-19 18:41:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Mar-19 20:14:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

237 Kbps over the 55 Mbps mark so even if there was wiring issues e.g. extensions in the home causing errors that DLM has settled to a lower speed that could be solved does not suggest massively higher speeds than currently possible

The joys of sales staff rather than technical staff

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Mar-19 20:24:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Obviously.

I was querying the flat statement that the current speed is the best available.

Bad home wiring would result in the max attainable and actual being much closer together.

Print Thread

Jump to