User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 09-Apr-19 10:59:37
Print Post

Re: G.fast limited to 150Mbps?

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

It wont last long
Standard User tysonj
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-19 12:11:36
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

Hi OP (and anyone else who can help!)

I bought a house last month which has a G.Fast line in it (completely by accident, but quite happy!)

Had a bit of pain moving in (line wasn't connected, turned out previous owner didn't disconnect) -- then BT "gave" me their service, set me up w/ a new ultrafast account on their line/number and everything was peachy - I was getting ~300Mbit reliably. I didn't see what the modem was sync'ing at but the speeds were great for me (coming from 'superfast').

I got disconnected a couple of weeks ago without warning -- turns out the old owner put through a disconnect which pulled my service. After much back and forth, BT arranged to get it re-connected.

Openreach engineer came into my house and said BT had applied a 160/30 mbit profile to my account, yet my line is capable of 351/52 (and was previously working fine at >300Mbit.

BT are telling me it's impossible for them to apply the right profile to my account and that they don't sell a service that provides faster speeds on G.Fast (which I know to be wrong).

I apparently have two open complaints with them (one about the new speed, one about the wrongful disconnection) but I haven't escalated yet -- I wanted to ask this forum for anything that could help them apply the right profile to my line?

The "bt broadband speed checker" for my address is as follows:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 76.8 20 19 72.1 Available Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 75 20 19 69.9 Available Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) 330 330 50 44.5 326.6 Amber Amber
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 330 330 50 32.2 313.2 Amber Amber
Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 12.5 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Observed Speeds

G.Fast

VDSL

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available --
G.fast Multicast -- -- -- Available --

If it's easier I can post screenshots but I wasn't sure how to drive this forum properly.

Thanks hugely in advance for any help.

Edit: if it helps, here are two images - one of the broadband speed checker and one from the line check unit the Openreach Engineer showed me
https://i.ibb.co/VL4zc7W/Screenshot-2019-09-26-at-12...
https://i.ibb.co/x3PSDYs/slow-dsl-profile.jpg

Edited by tysonj (Thu 26-Sep-19 12:25:47)

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Thu 26-Sep-19 13:03:09
Print Post

[re: tysonj] [link to this post]

BT should be able to just switch you to the Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus, this will then give you the full speed you had before. It sounds like you've been put on the Ultrafast Fibre 1 Plus product, which only has the top speed you are currently getting (most likely the people you've been talking to a BT have got confused and don't understand that it needs a product change)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tysonj
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-19 13:15:31
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Thanks- this sounds exactly right -- except BT's checker only lists Ultrafast Fibre Plus (not Fibre 2 plus) as the fastest plan that I can on my line, despite me about 2 weeks ago having exactly that.

I have a bill dated 18 September listing my service as indeed being Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus (This is good -- the first confirmation that tells me I'm not going mad) but my current account shows an error when trying to view my broadband package.

I think I'm armed with enough info now to tell them what they need to do - fingers crossed they'll actually turn it on though!!

Thanks so much for the swift reply.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Sep-19 16:36:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just be happy you can get G.fast. my 250 meter line can't..

Connection Speed 79999 kbps 19999 kbps
Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:9.5 DS2:20.9 DS3:31.1 US0:5.3 US1:17.8 US2:24.6
Noise Margin (dB) DS1:6.5 DS2:6.5 DS3:6.5 US0:13.7 US1:13.8 US2:13.8
Sky Q Hub
My Broadband Ping
Standard User tysonj
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-19 17:07:46
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

I feel for you, trust me.

My house in Australia has FTTP, I was shocked to find the UK was mostly FTTC when I moved over!
And I was very lucky in Aus. My parents are on "Fixed wireless" where they're lucky if they can get 12-15Mbit contending with neighbours, weather and wildlife!
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 04-Oct-19 11:47:28
Print Post

[re: tysonj] [link to this post]

Sorry it took a while to respond but I suspect your problem is that you appear to be on the edge in terms of line capability - hence the 'Amber' in the line checker.

My line did initially show as 'Amber' while I wasn't able to order the faster speed. I guess once they had the actual stats for a working line they changed it to 'Available' and I was able to upgrade, fortunately at no extra cost.

Given what the engineer's device is showing for your line for 'Max Data Rate' I'm not sure they will ever offer you the faster option, it seems a bit close. My engineer clocked my line at nearly 700Mbps Max Data Rate (wish I'd got a pic).

But good luck getting it sorted.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Oct-19 13:00:17
Print Post

If edge of line capability is what Amber means then every G.fast line including those that can touch the pod are on the edge.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 04-Oct-19 14:09:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm just going by my experience. My line was Amber until I was connected for a bit (the first in the pod apparently), it then went to Available and I was able to upgrade to the faster product.
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Fri 04-Oct-19 14:32:36
Print Post

In my experience with g.fast it's the process from the pod going live to being able to order with ISP.

So when the pod goes live it's Amber and then when you can order from an ISP it will change to Available
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to