User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Mar-19 14:58:41
Print Post

BT really are a bit keen !!! :-)

[link to this post]

I am not due to upgrade or renew until the end of the year.
Roughly two weeks ago I got an email from BT saying that as a loyal customer, they were upgrading my line!

I didn't hold my breath as we live in Dovercourt, Harwich.
It's a nice place and just a walk away from the town centre but a car drive to the nearest exchange, I think!
Plus I was already getting 50/10 so I was happy anyway!

Today I logged on and guess what, 72/22.
I went back to the email, there were no T&C's nothing, just the message with a logo!

Me, having been in the Army for six years and then three different Police Forces covering another sixteen years or so, it kind of makes you a bit of cynical person sometimes! :-/

So I rang them up and asked if any alterations had been made to my account, contract or renewal date.

They replied there was no downside, my account is still up for renewal or change at the end of the year, just the extra speed.

No idea what this is all about !!! However, their email came true smile

Anyone else?

Regards,
Trevor

Never forget the people who taught you about life. You should be teaching eight others; that way the world will be a better place. (Me, 2000)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-19 18:35:46
Print Post

Re: BT really are a bit keen !!! :-)

[re: TrevorSP] [link to this post]

I wonder how you’ve managed 22 upstream ? A typo possibly ?

Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Mar-19 21:17:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Total mess now I look at the router, that says I am connected at 80/20
Just says BT Infinity which doesn't really help a great deal!

I have also noticed that regardless of the tests I did on here, real-life downloads are nearer the 73 to 75mpbs downloads when downloading from steam.
I have yet to do the proverbial Unix.iso's to see what I get from there.
I find those to be the most accurate and always have for some reason!

However, I do play a game via Steam, FSX with all the trimmings.
There are four sections that make up the just the UK Scenery package that I have, they are around 8 to 9Gb each, they are coming down as I have said, right now at an average speed of 73.6mbps which isn't bad from steam at this time of the day!!! Considering how many are playing online at the moment.

Considering my price point and the contract hasn't' moved, I am certainly not complaining! smile
Unless there is a hidden catch further down the line waiting for me !!! :-/

Regards,
Trevor

Never forget the people who taught you about life. You should be teaching eight others; that way the world will be a better place. (Me, 2000)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Thu 28-Mar-19 08:46:04
Print Post

BT announced a while back that all eligible customers will be upgraded to the 80/20 if their line is capable of doing so free of charge. I'm on a 80/20 package on BT Infinity 1. No catches, still on my usual package price.

Chances are there's been some work at your cabinet, or G.INP has been implemented (although I think that was done a while ago), or some crosstalk has been eliminated thus raising your speeds and making you eligible for the free upgrade.

Edited by Nitro93 (Thu 28-Mar-19 08:46:50)

Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Mar-19 10:45:56
Print Post

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.... Although !!!

Maybe it's the ex-copper in me that says, you get nothing for free !!!

I trust you as you have been upgraded, longer than me obviously.

I just find it hard to believe that BT gives anything away for free........ Sorry, let's hope I am wrong smile

Regards,
Trevor

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Mar-19 12:40:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrevorSP:
I just find it hard to believe that BT gives anything away for free........

BT are giving away free broadband? Sign me up!

Upgrading your speed for "free" is obviously an effort to retain loyal customers. BT are far from being the cheapest around so things like this make sense.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Mar-19 12:54:38
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Similarly over the last couple of years AAISP did two things. One, they doubled the allowance on all the Home::1 products. Two, they upgraded all 40/10 customers on those to 80/20 and simultaneously lowered the 80/20 price for those on that to he redundant 40/10 price.

Three cases of something for nothing, in two events.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Mar-19 13:32:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There are discounts for providers meeting targets getting people onto faster speeds, so upgrading some for 'free' and encouraging others towards the faster services is what a number are doing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Mar-19 16:45:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

How very strange!

It takes us back to the OP's suspicions. What are the catches for the users?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 28-Mar-19 16:46:17)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Mar-19 21:53:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My understanding was that it was costing them more to artificially cap connections at the lower speed.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to