User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Mon 17-Jun-19 10:46:32
Print Post

Speed Test Analysis

[link to this post]

The TBB Speed Test Analysis seems to be confused by my Ultrafast 2 connection:

Top speed for the East of England Region
Top speed for the provider on your ISP using FTTH/FTTP
Quality 0.10 (A) is better than average 0.76 (A) for FTTH/FTTP

It isn't FTTH/FTTP, it's FTTC, definitely still coming into the house over a copper pair. Is this just set text or is it actually trying to guess the technology being used?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Jun-19 11:12:49
Print Post

Re: Speed Test Analysis

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

With your being on G.Fast and exceeding FTTC speeds it would seem it is just assuming FTTP. It might have been an idea to tell readers about that actual connection. I suggest ďUltrafast 2Ē doesnít really define the Openreach product to most people. You did call it G.Fast in your previous thread smile.

Also, given your profile stating your occupation as IT Consultant, and incidentally on a VM connection, Iím surprised you didnít pick a technical forum or Talk To The Staff for your question wink. It doesnít really have anything to do with your ISP, does it. The only definitive answer has to come from thinkbroadband staff.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Jun-19 11:29:00
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

Its because the speed test has not been taught about G.fast yet - the statistics database does understand, so just needs some code updating for the speed test specifically.

Adds it to the to-do list.

In the wider scheme with around 25,000 to 30,000 G.fast users in the UK its a relatively small sample. It will be called out as G.fast when it happens rather than FTTC which most people associate with the 40/10 and 80/20 products

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Tue 18-Jun-19 12:29:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the prompt to update my profile. I've not been on VM a while now, ever since they failed to fix a fault with my cable after numerous visits.

Interesting that you comment on naming though, BT sell G.Fast in two tiers as Ultrafast 1 & 2. I think when I was on Ultrafast 1 the speed test analysis did report FTTC but that may just be my memory.

Given the other forum descriptions none seemed to fit - but I got the response I wanted on here anyway.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Tue 18-Jun-19 12:30:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification.
  Print Thread

Jump to