User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:03:13
Print Post

Re: My FTTC has been slowing down and dropping out after 3 y

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok thanks for that. I'll unplug them all 1+3 for a few days and see what happens.

I was going to unplug the home plug which connects to the router anyway. The others are on different ring mins anyway and a long way from the router, but I'll ditch them too.

Should I jus buy a new batch of home plugs?

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Wed 28-Aug-19 22:05:13)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:34:08
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Under 'Troubleshooting' I think
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:36:30
Print Post

Why spend money when it might not be them?

But several of us here think the odds are they have quite a lot to do with it. We are just asking you to definitively either show we are right, or wrong.

They have to be ruled out as the cause, simply because they very well could be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:37:09
Print Post

Wait on getting new home plugs - the money they'd cost might be better spent on getting an Ethernet cable installed from router to the stuidio e.g. out of building and around the outside then back indoors.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-19 22:53:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

True, wasn't going to jump the gun. Did the dsl checker thing

How do I post the image?

VDSL Range A (Clean) 54.3 36.3 11.1 7 33.8

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 52.7 35 10.9 6.4 30

Does this tell me anything?

Rob.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:47:09
Print Post

A quick update

After 3 faults logged and acted upon, all the line faults between my house and the cabinet have been fixed. It did need me to keep raising the fault after each one was "cleared/fixed". The hub is now completely stable and has not dropped the line for over 2 weeks now. It was dropping say 30 times a day! When doing a remote "line test", no fault was found - but when they did the tests at the point the line entered the house, then a very significant fault was shown. Internal wiring checked and was just fine.

My speeds though have not recovered to anywhere near what they have been.

6.1 dB noise margins up and down. Line is 80/20. DSL Check (high) shows 54.3 up and 11.1 down.

The BT speed tester run by the advisor showed 43 to hub and 41 to PC via the homeplugs.

BT going to try a hard reset now and see what happens. Still a far cry from my 66/14 way back in 211!!!

Up for renewal in December - so do I go Virgin Media M200, with 213 down and 20 up? Trouble is after 1 year it jumps from £31 to £54 pm! Of course, my 200meg homeplugs will need to be all changed to take advantage of the high speed!
[Maybe they need to be changed anyway!!]

At least we have got to the bottom of most of my woes!

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Sep-19 16:58:05
Print Post

One assumes when you say line is 80/20 you mean the product configured on the line is the 80/20 product.

The key bit of information you are missing is the actual sync speeds (connection speeds) reported by the modem. The DSL check results while there is a feedback loop that will update does nothing to cap your speeds, and does not tell us the speed you are connected all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Fri 13-Sep-19 23:17:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It was configured as a 80/20 line in November 2011 when I first got it.

This is what the Hub sys!

Data rate: 9932 / 43579
Maximum data rate: 10230 / 45874
Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.8
Line attenuation: 31.3 / 20.5
Signal attenuation: 31.1 / 19.8

NM has changed from 6.1 db's

Rob.

Red5Audio Microphones
FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Fri 13-Sep-19 23:18:35)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Sep-19 12:19:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
It was configured as a 80/20 line in November 2011 when I first got it.

It's still configured as an 80/20 line now then unless you have changed package. Your just too far from the cabinet to get anywhere near that.

If you are still on Infinity 2/SuperFast 2 then you might way to consider downgrading to SuperFast 1.
That's provisioned for 55/10 rather than 80/20 but as you don't even reach 55/10 there may be a saving there for you.

66/14 down to 43/10 in 8 years isn't anything out of the ordinary.

If you've had FTTC since 2011 you were an early adopter, with few other subscribers on your cabinet.
The interference (crosstalk) from other lines subscribing to the cabinet will reduce sync speeds for most on the cabinet over time.

Those who were on the cabinet early with little crosstalk notice it more than others.

Users on Huawei FTTC cabinets from may suffer less of a crosstalk drop in sync as DLM improvements (retx/3dB) may have mitigated some of this drop.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to